Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vinno

Allan Moffat Cars

Recommended Posts

While I have been off work I spent rather a lot of time in the mancave either building or getting cars working. One car I wanted to sort out was a Carrera Capri RS 3100 with similar livery to the Allan Moffat car. I sanded off the decals with 1200 Wet and Dry and rubbed back the paint with cutting compound afterwards to minimise the damage to the paint underneath.

I used Patto Decals but many of them were way out for this car seeing they are used for Patto's flexy bodies. So I cut down what I could and scoured my spare decal sheets for those that would work. I found enough to get me by and it came up pretty reasonable. I will end up either making a better chassis for this one or buying a 3D printed one.

I did end up getting rid of the Carrera stub axles as they flop around and it makes the car unstable so I tried Phil's old trick of two stub axles and a brass tube supporting them in the middle. Should have taken a photo as it works a treat and the car runs much smoother since.

I also gave the Moffat 935 and bit of a tune and it worked pretty well considering the rear mount engine in the car. These old Fly cars work well with some weight placed low in the chassis between the motor and guide.

None of the cars are super quick but they are all fun to just drive around the track.

 

Moffat Cars 01.jpg

Moffat Cars 02.jpg

Moffat Cars 03.jpg

Moffat Cars 04.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gazza said:

Nice guide support there  :) 

Moffat Cars 01.jpg

Yes you are right Gazza, thanks for making these up they work a treat. I am going to use another on the Carrera Monza when I repaint mine into Moffat's car. Now I can see what retirement will be like and I am liking it.

Spent 4 weeks off work, the first not doing much until I recovered enough to head to the mancave. Out of the remaining 3 weeks off work I think I missed 2 days in the cave.

Was good having you down before driving cars around the track for a day the lockdown happened. Could do this a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed this post somehow. Great work Vinno - I've been tossing up whether to do this myself and breaking open the front box guards. Don't want to mess around with the blue stripes and make a pigs ear of it, so I'm still procrastinating.

I did a wheel swap on the Moffat Cougar though.

Cougar_After.jpg

Edited by KarKraft
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KarKraft said:

I missed this post somehow. Great work Vinno - I've been tossing up whether to do this myself and breaking open the front box guards. Don't want to mess around with the blue stripes and make a pigs ear of it, so I'm still procrastinating.

I did a wheel swap on the Moffat Cougar though.

Cougar_After.jpg

Very nice, I have still to do my one which has been waiting patiently for me to give it some love. Looking for somewhere I can get a heap of the American inserts as I have so many cars I want to work on. I had some MRRC ones which were perfect but quickly running out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vinno said:

. Looking for somewhere I can get a heap of the American inserts as I have so many cars I want to work on. I had some MRRC ones which were perfect but quickly running out. 

Vinno, RSSlotracing has a few variations of "American mags"  resin inserts listed on their site.

They have them for 2 different wheel sizes..13" and 15" wheels,..........you will be looking for the 15"

They are good quality, and Colin (RSSlotracing), is very good to deal with.

 

Cheers

Chris Walker

Edited by Chrisguyw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably have the best solution anyway.
But if that doesn't work out, the Pioneer outlet store have all the plastic wheels for cars they have produced, including some of those, which you could use as is for non-serious racers, or turn down to make inserts for alloys.
I reckon they are small enough that you could fit them as inserts into the Slot.it 14mm alloy rims with some higher profile Paul Gage or MJK tyres, for a more realistic look

The detail on the wheels is pretty good. eg below
There are nearly 40 wheel types to choose from, 
8a34fa_7eca8b49e1cc42dca3fd2cd9bf3b3d42~ 8a34fa_80c63c9d965f49faa400ce1f5fb92d5f~

8a34fa_92ed8411727649fb98e853049a66d163~ 8a34fa_4fd344dab1224d6ea488c8f30f14c209~

8a34fa_b47667f405e94b4a8e0cc168a21a0a60~ 8a34fa_533dfe4ad0024f9d98aceffd7bb31ecd~

I have bought a pile of the various styles, as I am thinking of using some to sub out standard wheels on the "Legends" 


Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

I have bought from RS slot racing before and was considering them. Just takes so long fromEurope or the US.

And I do have heaps of plastic wheels I can turn down but it is so much simpler to have inserts ready to go. And I really need something closer to a lathe to turn wheels down as it isn’t really that practical without one. Much more accurate with the correct tools. 

Maybe if I just ordered some they would get here instead of procrastinating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ever thought of making your own inserts?

Once you have the mold you can make as many as you like.

Quite simple to do as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mattcrackers said:

Ever thought of making your own inserts?

Once you have the mold you can make as many as you like.

Quite simple to do as well.

 

 

Yep, and decals and printing bodies and everything else. It won’t happen until I can retire unfortunately as work is busy and I have too many other hobbies. And I am also going to have a go at brewing craft beer as well. So retirement will be as busy as my working life I will just need to schedule what day I am putting to which hobby. 

With slot cars I have about enough time to build a few cars a year and drive around the track once a fortnight. Maybe a race also once in a while when COVID is under control with vaccinations. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Vinno said:

Yep, and decals and printing bodies and everything else. It won’t happen until I can retire unfortunately as work is busy and I have too many other hobbies. And I am also going to have a go at brewing craft beer as well. So retirement will be as busy as my working life I will just need to schedule what day I am putting to which hobby. 

With slot cars I have about enough time to build a few cars a year and drive around the track once a fortnight. Maybe a race also once in a while when COVID is under control with vaccinations. 

@VinnoI an hearing you. Been retired for 3 weeks now and still can't fit enough into the day. In saying that it's not a bad problem to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, hear where your coming from.

I'd put brewing your own craft beer high up on the list.

Helps with the slot car work, except when your fine detailing, not so much then.

I usually make up a few bits and pieces before work, takes about 10 mins, and they're ready when I get home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

@VinnoI an hearing you. Been retired for 3 weeks now and still can't fit enough into the day. In saying that it's not a bad problem to have.

Have you moved north yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vinno said:

Have you moved north yet?

@Vinnoyes mate got out of Dodge at the beginning of July. My last day of work was July 30th and I'm still getting used to not working.

Edited by Oldskool62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...