kalbfellp

Round 2 2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Series Shelmore Park

Welcome to Shelmore Park Round 2

Shelmore-Track.jpg

He48WyU.jpg?1

xEt8WK5.jpg

Qualifying was completed by me on Blue lane.

cBdR2jB.jpg

O84IAjf.jpg

Drivers were briefed before the Race to ensure the race was clean with no shunts!

Grand-Stand.jpg

Crowd are gathering waiting for the action.

xjiSQWb.jpg

1:1 Drivers for the day were the usual line up. Bruce Thomas. John Batich, Callan Thomas and Dave Bantoft.

The Lane order has changed from 2019.

Bruce 1,John is on 3, Callan 4, and Dave on two.

Terry will be pleased to see that Dave has his usual shirt! But starting to influence the other drivers.

The race had very few dramas.Two cars do have very deep guides that just bottomed out on the 7mm deep slot.

Stubbos car suffered a body mount failure but lost almost no time as a peice of tape soon fixed the problem.

One of Charles cars had a wheel slip on the axle on lane 4 with about 30 seconds to run and slowed.

Bruce and Callan managed to get some great times out of my car.

We did have a wild car entry for this round in Johns great car from previous year.

uBNfui5.jpg

N6MRKqA.jpg

John Batich,My Lotus and Pluggers Brabham.

The podium as finished,Johns Wildcard entry does not effect the points as it is not an official entry.

NI81Esx.jpg

P6Nyzzk.jpg

PkOCdJu.jpg

5VHBiIX.jpg

pDxPu84.jpg

iR8WF01.jpg

8qM6hUw.jpg

55fU0IZ.jpglp3iDAH.jpg

A5w7DQy.jpgBTNpEEY.jpg

db1uUBB.jpg6oD5S7E.jpg28tRuV6.jpg

jZIcB0q.jpg

oTcURY5.jpg3GHkqRG.jpg

Nqz7CTB.jpg

QuYk79s.jpg

nmtDCZz.jpg

PNORxWf.jpg

KqfEP8S.jpg

Pq8LgxL.jpg

fPjIzsw.jpg

My driving impressions will follow soon.

Round 3 Race report from Dave Grays Mornington Park Track will follow very soon.

Edited by kalbfellp
add pics
  • Like 3

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Thanks for running the round Phil and well done on the round win. It was good to see one of John's cars having a run too for second and another well done to Plugger on third.

I'm happy with fourth place ( 3rd in the points but) and looking forward to see how we all go in Round 4.

Firstly congrats to the podium getters, er winners....what do you call those who reach the podium???

So good to see that Flannos' are still the thing to wear in the fashion capital of the south, good to see familiar faces, there is some comfort to all of us mere mortals that our little cars are in such good and capable hands, except my #47 of course!

So Phil, is there something going on here???

Not only did my #47 158 bomb out in the race but I didn't even get a pic of my car!

Did it actually participate at all?

Seriously, it is good to have you running this round, it gives our proxy a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that KalbfellP is on the job!

Bring on the next round, frankly I need a result guys,Eric is already too far ahead of me now.

Terry( the trackless one)

Sorry Terry pic got deleted as I thought it was No7!!!

e7bfjeW.jpg

So here is the pic of the Ferrari 4/7!

iR8WF01.jpg

This car entered as a Brabham BT3 looked weird to me so a little research showed that it is actually a Brabham BT 25 Indy car ,from 67/68

Faller produced the body and marketed and the box was marked BT3,and the body was moulded in red.While its stable mate ferrari was moulded in green.

A pic of the original kit was posted back in January along with the Atlas version of the same Indy car.

Only took 5 months to identify the body.

Some driver comments will follow over the weekend.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Cheers Phil,

Pretty little thing don't you think?

Here are some coGuid problemmments about the cars on Shelmore Park track.

These are general comments that I noted during the event,so not specific to any one driver.

No 2 Good car but did not seem as quick as previous years.

No 3 Handles well good car,lacking punch out of corners.

No4 Very good car just a touch of bounce out of the tight corners.

No 5 Guide Problem Guide would lock up and through the car out of the slot if sliding too far.

No 6 Good car only problem is that the guide hits the body on one side,chassis not centred in body shell.

No 8  Could do with abit more grip Good other wise

No 9 Very fast but lacking brakes.

No 10 Lacks grunt feels too heavy

No 11 Quick car but twitchy to drive and hard to maintain good flow.

No 12 No real problems easy to drive good car.

No 14 easy to drive Tyres could no with more grip.

No 15 Handles well just not enough power or possible gearing.

No 16 Faster than other team car but again tyres are a bit of a let down.

No 19 Needs more grip

No 20 Good car just tends to let go for no reason

No 22 Very good car easy to drive Very fast down the straight.

No 23 No problems good car

No 33 Easy to drive good car

No 41 Easy to drive feels slow on the straights

No 47 Needs much better tyres Too much power for the grip level

No 58 Not smooth to drive needs more grip

No 66 Good car handles well but again more grip  will would help.

No 69 good car no problems.

Favorite cars to drive: 88,22 and 69.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Thanks for the report on cars Phil. Lenny was worried about the Thunderslot guide so sounds like it bit me. Was no problem at home.

Regards Chas LeBreton (charlesx) 

Terry in regards to your 47 Ferrari, I found one tyre was worse for grip than the other. Round one set of corners it was OK, lacked grip compared to the top runners but not the worst, but round the other direction corners it was like that outside tyre had super glue on it (bit exaggerated). Power and gearing seemed good though.

Thanks Callan for that feedback, really helps me understand the lack of performance, 

What I cannot understand is that in the pre race shakedown run by Lenny prior to our proxy starting, he stated that my car was easy to drive with good grip, with that I'm now down to the rear of the field, with Phils feedback suggesting my car is over powered with no grip.

Cannot understand where the car could have picked up the super glue as the car left my place running quite strong and consistent

This is just another chapter in Proxy racing and the frustrations that come with that

Thanks again

Terry

I should have clarified the tyres looked OK they just felt like they didn't have the grip like some of the others (hence like driving on ice or superglue).

The main difference between most of the cars is tyre grip. I guess the preparation of them is everything and some cars hold their grip for longer?

I could drive around most of the differences on lane 4 as the corners were either tight or super long. The middle lanes had medium corners which highlighted the tyre grip differences.

Hope that helps? The main difference is just in the rear tyres

Thanks Callan,

I've been a bit over stressed with this proxy, building the car and getting it ready was always a race against time, something which I always try to avoid, but as we all know life issues often get in the way and the best laid plans etc   etc...........

The cars are coming north now and it will give me a chance to witness first hand what is going on.

For me ,its important not to be shooting the messenger and I do appreciate all the work that people go to to organise themselves to provide venues for our little cars to race on.

I do feel I have to go outside and give myself a good talking to!!

Edited by terry

The cars are now on their way north.

But while packing them I decided to have another look at a few.

These comments are not meant to be critical of any build just intended to help tune cars for future events,and the comments only relate to this track.

No 16 Fast in a straight but lap times only just into the sixes.
This car would tail out when pushed. I changed the rear wheels for a text run, straight down to 6.5 laps with a best of 6.51, that would put the car in top 3.

The wheels I used to test were fitted with Tassie 35 shore Eurethanes,very similar to PGX tyres. Tyres are glued and trued with various grades of Wet and Dry using water. Final grade 800 or finer.

My opinion that with better tyres, less car weight on front tyres this car would be a winner.

No 8 Tried some tyres on this car but only made 3 tenth difference.

No 10 This car is running near bottom of field, so a good car to look at.

IMO this one is mainly overweight.

Also the big guide and large braids tend to slow this car.

I use an NSR guide with narrow braids, front wheels only just touch the track and are as narrow as rules allow, rear axle must easily slide thu the bushes.I know some people are using bearings but they must be perfectly aligned to work really well.

All this is to try and reduce the friction as much as possible so that these low powered motors can perform at their best.

Sorry I could not look at more cars but just picked a couple that I thought made good examples.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Great info Phil just what i was looking for on car's 14 and 16 , Tassie tyres ? where do i get them using Yellowdogs this season, last season used XPG's and before that MJK's , car 16 was the extra car this year and interesting to see that the SRP 18K motor in that is now 2 seasons old and just seems to be running faster in a straight line, have noticed that before .

The ff motor is one i don't use at all except in the Tasman and that's the only milage they get , so have to put more miles on them here to really run them in.

Keith Tassie tyres are made by me, about 3months before the event so they are fresh.

They are 35 shore hard made from Smooth On Eurethane.

IMO very little to choose from between mine and Paul’s tyres. I think John Batich ran both back in 2019 on his two cars. 
Preparation is everything, trued with 80 grit then polish with wet and dry using water until a nice surface is achieved.

I wish I had had more time to test a few more cars, but tried to make some general observations that would apply to many cars.

Of course the next tracks may be completely different, depending on the track surface and preparation.

I think No 22 car is running on MJK tyres, maybe someone can confirm that.

I will comment that in previous years my tyres had had too much grip on the FPR track, but this year that track had had little use and not much rubber buid up.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Phil think you hit the nail on the head about tyres , the lack of track usage and racing time at some of the tracks , one club i know here has pretty bad grip levels when they returned and after cleaning the track took a long time to rubber in, think most people prep their tyres reasonably well now.

Also as we know weather makes a differant to track surfaces , especially wood , i use a home track of plastic which does not seem to suffer with the same problem, pretty consistant winter or summer in my garage which is under the building.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the comments on #10. I love your euphemism "running near bottom of field". You can't get much closer to the bottom of the field than consistently last!

Thanks for the advice on all points. It is much appreciated. I will work on those points for next year's series. At least I now have a benchmark to compare the next car to. This car ended up being quite rushed so I'll give myself a lot more time to make its successor. And I won't use a 7-tooth pinion again.

This was only ever going to be a learning experience and your comments certainly help me to learn.

Thanks again, 

Peter

Edited by PeterG
spelling

Hi

car 22 is on MJKs

9/24 ratio 

Edited by Pauls Slots

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough