Sports Racer

Quick cars that shouldn't be so quick.

I have a Fly GT40 with a standard motor that I spent a lot of time developing and it laps faster than NSR and Slot.it classics on multiple tracks. It's a freak and I can't get any of my other Fly's (M1, Ferrari 512, 917) to lap as quick.

Does anyone have a freak car that laps faster than much better cars?

Any idea why?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

May the downforce be with you.

@Sports Racer I have an LJ Torana that is on a Cortina chassis and running gear. The guy I bought the Cortina off raced it and as far as I can see the tyres are true'd and thats it. It's a sweet balanced car that surprised me because it feels better now than when it had the Cortina body on it.

Edited by Oldskool62

In the 'which is the best classic sports car' thread I made mention of my Slot.It Alfa T33/3 that runs with a standard Scalextric motor ... a nice well-balanced car.

But in terms of racing success I'd have to nominate my Spirit Courage C65. Despite its very simple chassis and Ninco NC5 motor I won a round of my local club's LMP series and placed well in two other rounds. The competition included Slot.It, Revoslot and NSR cars.

Den

Another quick FLY. My Lola B98/10 fly 88038 - Google Search is stupidly quick with its bog standard black stripe motor, and it just has NSR Ultras on the standard rear wheels, and a few grams of lead behind a full width front axle added to the mix. It's still got the standard guide and braids too.

I tried a Piranha 21.5k motor in it 'cos I thought it'd really fly but it wasn't any faster, just harder to drive.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I had to think back about 4 years and remembered we had a kind of fun night and I'd bought a Ninco Mercedes CLK GTR, put SlotIt gears in and NSR wheels & tyres and it was awesome...I was shocked that a car with no pod could be such a great car. I decided to modify the chassis to give it more flex...and it was crap, I got another about 18 months ago but it's still on the shelf waiting to get tuned but this one has hollow 2.5mm axles and alloy wheels already. Reading this thread and recounting my story has rekindled my interest to get it ready.

• Like 1

Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...B)

Scalextric lambo aventador.

https://ibb.co/bFCbq2R

I have this car running in the "unmodified stock scalextric" class in the brighton to John o'groats UK proxy road race. 

https://slotracer.online/community/showthread.php?tid=2105

Outperforming its specification by far (winning 2 stages) and is propping up my other 2 cars (HRS2-ninco megane and SRCi-capri ) in the team scores. 

On some stages she's even outperforming the other 2 cars in the team , both of which have modern long can motors in motor mounts.

AlanW - London.

Edited by Nonfractal
Wrong url
  • Like 1

It's not the size of the motor that counts, it's how well the car handles. Quite often you'll find a car can be quicker with a slower motor, especially on the little plastic tracks in the UK proxy road race.

May the downforce be with you.

2 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

It's not the size of the motor that counts, it's how well the car handles. Quite often you'll find a car can be quicker with a slower motor, especially on the little plastic tracks in the UK proxy road race.

Yep just look at what Joe Zammit ran in his car 15 years ago. Dick Smith motors with no torque but in a car that handled fantastically.