Dick Johnson Mustang Bathurst 1986

Having watched Group A racing I would have to say it is one of my favourite race  classes. Being a Ford fan I have always had a soft spot for Dick Johnson when Moffat abandoned us in the Group C days. And being a Mustang fan I loved seeing a Mustang racing. Unfortunately Ford didn't take Group A seriously early on or saw more potential in the Turbo cars so the Mustang never go to realise the potential it had due to being under powered. Dick always said the Mustang was a brilliant car across the top of the mountain but really struggled going up the hill.

Anyway I finally got myself into gear to get started on Munters resin body of the Group A Mustang. It is a really well done body with not a lot of clean up required, although I still spent a lot of time on it just making sure it looks as tidy as possible.

I am trying to keep my Group A class as close in performance as possible and was thinking about the Slot.it Nissan GTR when I found a chassis with the correct wheelbase for the Mustang. The Slot.it Alfa 155 chassis was perfect with the 80mm wheelbase although I had to cut a bit off the sides, front and rear to make it fit.

Here are a few photo's so far that show progress. Paint was an area I was struggling to find as I noticed others over the years were using a Tamiya colour which was just not bright enough. After heaps of research and asking local paint suppliers if they could mix me a can I found I could order a rattle can from Europe with the correct colour of Dulon 913 which is a Renault colour called Verte Laitue. This seemed a stupid idea seeing I would need to wait weeks for it to turn up if at all. More research told me it is basically Green and seemed to look like every green button and dot on the internet. So after much searching I found Bunnings sell a Dulux Paint which looked close enough. Happily after painting today it almost looks a perfect match and will be the colour I use for a DJR XE Falcon when I get a body for that too.

I am using a Ninco NC2 motor after some of my others were set up with a NSR Baby King which has close enough specs. I have heaps of old Ninco motors and they are great motors when pushing cars that weight over 100 grams which most Resin cars do. Anyway see progress below.

Johnson Mustang 01.jpg

Johnson Mustang 02.jpg

Johnson Mustang 03.jpg

Johnson Mustang 04.jpg

Johnson Mustang 05.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work, Vinno.

Park green seems a popular choice here too.

I am going to do another small run of these in the near future so if anyone wants to join the list please let me know.

• Like 1

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

7 hours ago, KarKraft said:

That green looks spot on Vinno. What's it called and what did you use for thinners?

I have bought the 3D model, so I am going to print the body. It would be interesting to compare them once I get around to it.

Hi Brett

It is a Dulux Rattle can called Dura Max. Colour is GL Grass Court and I bought it from Bunnings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazza said:

Looking good Vince

I too have the 3D model, another one to print

51158244665_de6a8840e9_b.jpg

Your one has the correct taillights too. I am making some up for mine from the corners of a clear plastic screw box. The Mustang is small compared to most of the Group A cars but luckily sits pretty low. Not as low as the XJS but lower than the others. 

Would be good to see some Walkinshaw Commodores too. The Group A field thickens up all the time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vinno said:

Your one has the correct taillights too. I am making some up for mine from the corners of a clear plastic screw box. The Mustang is small compared to most of the Group A cars but luckily sits pretty low. Not as low as the XJS but lower than the others. 

Would be good to see some Walkinshaw Commodores too. The Group A field thickens up all the time. 

@VinnoI would love to see some progress shots along the way. You have got me really interested in the taillights.

Cheers

Warren

57 minutes ago, r377 said:

How close would the Sideways Mustang be to this ?

Do you mean this one:

Sideways-Ford-Mustang-Turbo-Imsa-Road-At

Not really that close, maybe with a lot of modification it could be made to look similar but it would be easier to get one from munter or track down a 3D printed one.

• Like 1

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

I made the master up by combining two kits....the roof and A pillars from the notch(?)back was added to the body of the fastback which had a targa top.

By the time I had finished fiddling with the nose details I left the tail lights for you guys to tweak.....no,  It wasnt until I had taken a mould that a mate kindly told me it had the wrong tail lights....sorry about that.

• Like 1

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

4 hours ago, mtpanorama said:

Do you mean this one:

Sideways-Ford-Mustang-Turbo-Imsa-Road-At

Not really that close, maybe with a lot of modification it could be made to look similar but it would be easier to get one from munter or track down a 3D printed one.

would they fit a sideways chassis ?

4 hours ago, munter said:

I made the master up by combining two kits....the roof and A pillars from the notch(?)back was added to the body of the fastback which had a targa top.

By the time I had finished fiddling with the nose details I left the tail lights for you guys to tweak.....no,  It wasnt until I had taken a mould that a mate kindly told me it had the wrong tail lights....sorry about that.

Still the best model around and easy enough to make up some taillights. The good thing with the lights on yours is they are sunken in and it is easy to make something with a clear lens to sit over the top. When I get onto it over the weekend I will show what I did. 

• Upvote 1

A couple more pictures of the Mustang progress. I said I made up some lenses for the tail lights from a screw box corners. Below is a picture and maybe a little close up so don't look so pretty here. On the car they look fine though. I just cut the corners off a box and then cut and sanded to size. I scribed some lines to get a straight line to paint the different lens colours and glued on with epoxy.

Johnson Mustang 06.jpg

The next picture shows some strips I made from sheet styrene for window trim as I thought it would look a little tidier this way. Cut to size, painted and glued on with flexible superglue.

Johnson Mustang 07.jpg

Below shows the window trims in place along with some of the decals so far. The window trims look much better than trying to paint a straight line so this will be something I will do from now on. So far so good.

Johnson Mustang 08.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, munter said:

That trim idea is cool 

It came up really well I will be doing it on all cars I think and just file out the molded in strips. I was thinking of doing it for the whole window frames if they are uneven but these only needed a little filling. 

• 1 month later...

So the Mustang is pretty much complete minus a couple of things I may or may not add. I am thinking of adding the race cam in the car but need some more plastic tube so it is without camera for the time being.

The chassis is a Slot.it Alfa 155 as the wheelbase is spot on for the Mustang. I need to cover up the exhausts at the rear of the chassis with a fuel tank so will do that at some stage when I stop driving it around.

I ended up stuffing up a couple of the decals getting greedy on applying clear. After using my trusty method of adding acrylic clear over the decals I still ended up going to heavy on the clear laquer afterwards. Not too bad but annoying after all the work so far.

Rather than buy another Baby King I figured I would use a Ninco NC5 motor. It still doesn't have the grunt of the Baby King but it is near enough seeing the car is not really a race car but more of a drive around for fun car. It still goes pretty well and not too far off my Perkins Commodore I finished a while ago. It is getting quicker as the tyres bed in.

Johnson Mustang 09.jpg

Johnson Mustang 10.jpg

Johnson Mustang 11.jpg

Johnson Mustang 12.jpg