Sign in to follow this  
Caddo

Which brand of 1/32 classic sports cars is fastest overall - Thunderslot, NSR or Slot It?

Classic Le Mans Sports Cars  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand is fastest overall with stock chassis/body/motor/gearing. Any tyre, can add weight. Race on routed timber, magnet free track, smooth surface

• Thunderslot - McLaren/Lola
    • NSR - Ford GT40, P68, 908, 917
    • Slot It - Chaparral, Ford GT40, Matra, Ferrari 312PB

Interested in your vote for the fastest brand overall, stock set up except open tyres and weight added on magnet free, smooth timber tracks.

Thanks & regards

Sorry Caddo. I do not think there is a clear answer so I will not be voting. Thunderslot are all good even with stock tyres; 908 is probably pick of NSR Classics although new 917/10 may be better while I believe the Slot-it Matra is also a gem. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:25 PM, charlesx said:

..... Thunderslot are all good even with stock tyres; 908 is probably pick of NSR Classics although new 917/10 may be better while I believe the Slot-it Matra is also a gem. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Chas has incorporated a lot of the key things in one short post.

And as Rick says Giovanni (who was the design guy behind Salvatore at NSR, and is now the face of Thunderslot); is obviously a brilliant designer
- and really nice guy to boot, I am told by the Cookie  - the Thunderslot and NSR distributor in NZ - Gio has been out here.

Those two brands are assembled in Italy so cost more, and are probably faster OOTB than a mass assembled Slot.it, but once any hobby tuner has had his wicked way for an hour in a quiet room with any of the basic setups, right tyres for the track surface and weight if desired, the jury is still out, and may not be back this side of the next pandemic. 

PERSONALLY, I think the Matra is head and shoulders above the other Slot.it sport classics, but others say the McLaren is quicker, or the GT40...... 

The NSR 908 has certainly ruled the roost of their models at the NSR Classic in NZ up to now.
That said; one of our club drivers has his P68 running like a steam train on a seek and kill mission.

I think the Elva or M6 are both quicker than the Lola among the Thunderslots.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Sorry but there's no definitive make that is all conquering.

The fastest cars we run are Open class.

Cars range from NSR, Slot.it, Scaleauto and anything else that we can get to run superfast. The best cars on the night are dependant on who owns and modified them and who is racing them.

• Like 1

May the downforce be with you.

I,ve found it,s horses for courses, Thunderslot are a very good all round drive on plastic track which a lot of us no club people use over here, i have found the latest NSR 908 a joy to drive also on plastic, and the Slot it Matra also has the edge on similar cars not only in the slot it range .

But i don't own many standard cars as i,m a fiddler , and all of the above i,ve mentioned i,ve tuned up so they all go a lot faster than you'll buy out of the box, there is really no such thing as THE fastest car a lot depends on the track your running on and the set up of the cars.

If i had to pick just one car i suppose the Thunderslot M6 might be it , once you have set it up properly and before i modified it i did notice it was the best of the Thunderslot cars i had , not by a lot but noticable, now in a staight line it was really no differance to the other Thunderslot cars i have still in standard form, but it seemed better in tight bends , now i just think this car is just that little bit WIDER than the others , and the balance and stance of the car seems better, but i still find the NSR 908 a very fast drive on my plastic track.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Seems like there is a fairly even view on what cars are best but throw in driver and tuner ability plus track conditions and it is still anybody's guess. Hope the comments from me and the others will help you though Caddo and many more. Agree Giovanni Montiglio is a great guy. Had the privilege to meet him in Nelson.

I am still trying to beat those pesky Moslers with my Thunderslot Lola GT (I refuse to buy a Mosler) which is up to Nelson Thunderslot specs but otherwise still fairly standard with now fairly used tyres. Have most of the other Thunderslot offerings but most are still in boxes. Have to say though that my NSR Classic Porsche 917 is almost as fast as the Lola. Both are certainly capable of giving all but the best Moslers a run for the money. This is  largely because while down on power compared to the Mosler they are so easy to drive. A visit by Scott from Wellington on Saturday however proved the 908 is very near the Mosler. The new Porsche 917-10 could also be one to watch.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx
  • Like 1

I only run on 'wood' tracks and I don't own any NSR cars so I can't make an informed choice for voting purposes.

But I know that my Thunderslot Sunoco M6A is the easiest to 'dial in' on most tracks, as mentioned in the thread relating to that car.

I have three Slot.It cars that sort of fit the profile ... a Ferrari 312PB, an Alfa T33/3 with standard Scalextric motor, and an HRS2 inline with a Revell Monogram Surtees body. Depending on the track where I'm running (not necessarily racing) each of them could be the best performing car at various times.

The Alfa may have less grunt than the other two but it's so easy to drive and thus sets consistent lap times.

Drifting slightly off-topic, in a recent 1972-81 Le Mans that I contested I found that my relatively small Fly Chevron wasn't too far behind SRC and Sloter cars, and the longer Fly BMW M1s that were in abundance in the series. By some quirk of nature it was simply a well-balanced car.

Den

Going by Caddo's list at the top and what can be done, my only Thunderslot, a McLaren Elva, stock everything other than slightly trued rear tyres and about 10gms lead in the pointy end of the pod. Pod tight and body screws backed off a bit and front axle height adjusted. The only car I've got that comes close is a Policar P4 and I've spent 10 x the amount of time, alloy rear wheels, Ultras, a stronger orange end-bell and different gears to get within 0.2 sex of it.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

does anyone think the 21500 quoted for the Thunder slot motor is a bit of tongue in cheek.  more along lines of 23000?

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan