Sign in to follow this  
Sports Racer

2021 Touring Car Proxy - builds

I would be willing to ship you 2 sets no charge but shipping from USA.  Looks like about $26 USD.

Edited by ArroldN

MOPAR or NOCAR YES IT'S A HEMI

Alan if you PM me with what your after i do import Nicks tyres for others as well as myself but only the R-Y range and very limited at the moment waiting for another order ,  i have some in stock think 1204 7mm 1402 9mm, 1403 10mm, 1404 10mm width , shipping is very expensive so worth while shipping for others at the same time saves a lot in postage.

Pepsi62 the $26 dollar was for 1 pound weight so my car ships for the same price. Now if I actually went to the post office and they weigh it as ounces it may be a little less.

OK tires shipped yesterday International First Class. Cost $16 USD.

Edited by ArroldN

We did some testing last night on Andrew's track.

121162530_1207908946263021_2137296551848

Most of our cars managed to get into the 5.6's so Andrew ran his car from last year and did 5.4 on it's 2nd lap.

Last year only 3 cars did 5.6 or better, mine (5.651) Brumos (5.586) and Andrew's (5.430). This year all 5 Canberra entrants are doing 5.6 or better so just letting you know you all need to bring your A grade this year. :D

Here's the video from last year showing how fast your car needs to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdxZs5JJJW0

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

Almost done... Just gluing down anything that moves, and tightening up anything that doesn't. 

I did some testing at Andrews yesterday.

I took 8 cars + 3 extra motor/chassis setups for the Calibra that won last year.

None of them came close to Andrews car from last year.

Even his slower, test car was quicker than all my cars.

I don't feel well. :wacko:

Edited by Sports Racer

Chuckle have you heard of the term sanbagging down under i wonder , think Paul has :D

Honest, no sandbagging. I believe in giving you as much info as possible so you know what's going on.

Here's what I tested. Fastest on the left to slowest on the right. All the cars have different chassis to what they originally had except the standard Astra on the right (test car)

206467073_1383740418679872_5468819508954

I'm lousy at setting up cars so the more I build the better the chance of getting one right.

Worked for me last year. :D

Here is my entry. 1 Sec faster than the Alfa Taxi on my oval. I hope it is competitive. It handles a lot better. Will post tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name: Australian Touring Car Proxy Entry 2021.jpg Views: 0 Size: 37.1 KB ID: 109259

Post office tracking still showing the package in route. Was scheduled for 8/2  delivery. Hope it gets there this week.

Edited by ArroldN
update

Paul brought a few cars over on the weekend and I am very impressed with at least 2 of them, I will have to fight for a place on the podium if they are any measure of what is to come for the proxy this year. And by the way, Pauls car will be lucky to get a podium at this rate with the quality of this years entries.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the videos, nice to see the old girl! 

I do recall that the mesh was on the 'close' end of the range, but seeing it compared to all the others (and what I have built since) was a wake up call. 

However, it will only get looser, so feel free to secretly run it in for 15 minutes if you have a spare moment!

Will do. There's nothing worse than spending hours/days building a proxy car only to have something simple go wrong and having to watch it race badly through the whole proxy.

That stands for anyone's car. If it needs fixing I'm happy to help.

• Like 1

BARacer one thing i have learned over the years with proxies is to build cars for others to drive , make sure everything is as free as possible , with gearing look over past years and see what the local like Paul are doing, that will give you the way to go , make sure tyres are really first rate , again note what others are doing.

I started modifying last years with what i learned from that season, as soon as i got the car back the differance this year i was able for the first time to test on a wood track with copper tape , and that really did make a differance to my thinking, as regards tyres , type size to work together with gearing set up's , i am already testing a car for next year with what i,ve learned!!!!! from Paul this year and the racing has not started yet, it really is continued development.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

This AW build came immediately on the back of a previous AW proxy build, as I was in that angled mindset. But the Civic is very narrow, so to fit the gears I wanted left little room for the luxury of much float in the mesh. With the wheels fitted, there isn't much room left between hub and axle bushing. In the back of my mind, I was thinking the car might loosen up over the course of the series, but maybe I misjudged where it might be starting from!

However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have asked Paul if he could file 2/1000mm off each of the pinion teeth to see if that helps...still waiting for his reply.

Other than that, I have also asked if he can just check for any body/tyre rub and, if necessary, reset the body float as it definitely had some before I put it in the post!

7 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

Will do. There's nothing worse than spending hours/days building a proxy car only to have something simple go wrong and having to watch it race badly through the whole proxy.

That stands for anyone's car. If it needs fixing I'm happy to help.

See how that kind of screw up happened on my entry to the recent short TR7 rally proxy on slotracer.online

Wrong tyres, no traction, painful to watch. DNS the final stage.

Ouch! 

Alan (NonFractal)

On 8/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, BARacer said:

However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have asked Paul if he could file 2/1000mm off each of the pinion teeth to see if that helps...still waiting for his reply.

It was much easier to take out one of the shims on the rear axle. Gear mesh is much nicer now. Still snug but I can spin the rear tyres by hand now.

Undoing the body/chassis screws was the hard bit. Next year I'm banning body mount screws longer than 2 metres. :lol:

Edited by Sports Racer