Sign in to follow this  
Sports Racer

2021 Touring Car Proxy - builds

Working on a SCX Renault Megane, trying NSR 20k inline, original pod/chassis setup, lightweight interior, will see how it performs.

Also rebuilding the MG, new motor and rear axle setup, lightweight interior

Charles, I might have a play with a Commodore body on a JS chassis, see if i can get one running well enough

Hi Pepsi62.

Will watch your V8 Commodore build with interest (if you proceed). Certainly hope you do. Will you be using a Scaly body or perhaps a resin one.

My Aussie V8 is still a fairly standard Scaly Supercheap Holden but this year I have inserted a Slot-it AW pod and Baby King motor.

Not sure it is any faster than before around track as not much room for tyres with AW layout. Currently has a pair of fairly skinny Tassie Phil's urethanes from a few years back. At  least that might make Phil laugh. If I get really desperate I might try installing a sheep treadmill in the rear to give it a bit more out of the corners.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hey Paul can I still get in if so same car as last year hope it's not to late.Wondering if my car on is on the way home. Thanks Adrian

I'll squeeze you in somehow.

I did some testing of the 6 cars that I've built for this proxy. I changed the tyres of my Astra to yellowdogs and put my best Slot.it orange endbell motor and it's easily the best car I have, beating last year's winning Calibra by .2 sec per lap on a big 8 lane commercial track. I even spruced up the Calibra prior to testing so it was back to race winning performance.

And there's another car I have on the workbench that should be even faster.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

May the downforce be with you.

On another note there's a worldwide zoom meeting 9 am Aussie east coast time this Saturday morning.

I'll try to be there if anyone has anything they want to talk about.

Cheers

Paul

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #55

Time: FRIDAY May 7, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
(That's Saturday morning for you lot down under!)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8451306298...RUUVI5ODcxUT09

Meeting ID: 845 1306 2986
Passcode: 957960

Time Zone Calculator for 6pm CST:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...1=234&p2=179&p 3=136&p4=37&p5=240&p6=103

On 5/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, Sports Racer said:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

It's ok, I've bolted on more horsepower for this year...;)

QPQGEH0.jpg

Edited by Shaynus
text edit

Paul

Very interesting listening to you on the World Wide Chat. 

Like you say...you're giving us all the answers!

After the talk we had about how heavy the cars are have a look at this video from last year.

Even weighing over 90g our cars are fast down the straights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSY4Yi0Z3Vg

And the specs on the top 5 placed cars:

Name Mfg (Body / Chassis) Body weight (grams) Model Motor Align Tires Weight Weight rear Weight front % front / rear
Sports Racer Scalextric / Scaleauto 19.6 Calibra Slot.it orange endbell IL Yellowdogs 87.3 52.6 34.7 39/61
32coupe SCX / Scaleauto 26.8 Mercedes CLK Slot.it orange endbell SW yellowdogs 96.0 68.2 27.8 29/71
Aloha Fly / National Racer 24.5 BMW M3 Slot.it black endbell SW Yellowdogs 89.8 54.4 35.4 39/61
Dave P SCX / Scaleauto 29.8 Audi A4 Scaleauto 18k boxer IL Yellowdogs 107.8 69.8 38.0 35/65
Brumos RSR NSR 12.8 Renault Clio shark 21.5 SW NSR 65.6 42.9 22.7 34/66

Brumos's car was the lightest car entered and very quick but you had to concentrate 110% to get the best out of it and it deslotted easily. It's coming back this year with some weight added and it will be interesting to see how much better it will be compared to last year.

Edited by Sports Racer

Been there, read it.

Build thread, read it.

Race videos, watched.

Brumos, chatted.

Still trying to understand the characteristics of your track surfaces!

Edited by BARacer

They are all routed MDF painted in a variety of surfaces, from Ferrodore to water based to latex paint.

Rubber tyres work on a couple of tracks but they don't like most surfaces, they don't grip as well as urethane.

I don't know if you talk much to Keith (Peter Gunn on the forums). He's UK based and has entered this proxy every year so knows a bit about building a competitive car.

But, in the meantime, throw any questions my way and I'll try to help.

Cheers

Paul

PS. I'm tempted to post a car to you to show you how much better a 90g car is over one without lead on a routed track. Or at least post some pictures of where I put lead on a car that you also have and see if it's faster.

16 minutes ago, Sports Racer said:

PS. I'm tempted to post a car to you to show you how much better a 90g car is over one without lead on a routed track. Or at least post some pictures of where I put lead on a car that you also have and see if it's faster.

If Wayne does not take up your offer of a loan of your car for UK testing, Jeremy and I certainly will.

Alan

• Like 1

Will you be on the next zoom chat?

I'll log in 1 1/2 hours late (5:30am our time). There's no way I'm getting up at 4am just to talk to a bunch of old men. :D

BARacer, let me try to help you as regards proxy tracks, down under , it,s a learning curve mate , not sure if it,s your first down under proxie but there are a number of things that happen to the tracks, firstly the weather goes from bloody hot to bloody cold and like all wood tracks it,s weather affected, and the locals know how to build cars to take that into consideration, the track surface goes from Ferrodo to  painted also the locals know that and build cars to suit the sort of track they race on.

I build a number of seperate proxie cars based on my experiance of racing on them in OZ & NZ but still very hard to beat the buggers, note experiance that you have to gain by listening to most of the advice your given some very helpful, but then there's Paul :D, never quite sure about him, however it,s a learning curve and you like me will learn the hard way what does work and what does not.

Paul 

I will come on the next chat, also towards the end due to quizzing commitments.

Peter 

I have followed your entries with interest! I think it's fair to say that Alan and I are not in it for the glory, but we want to honour the series with as competitive cars as possible. The first season is always going to be a steep learning curve, along with the second, and third, and....

• Upvote 1

Andrew (32Coupe) and I did some testing on his track and here’s what we found.

First, when cold the track has little grip so all testing was done with the fire going in Andrew’s garage and the track temp at least 15 degrees C. These are the same conditions the proxy racing will be held in.

Second, no matter what I did with my cars I couldn’t get close to Andrew’s car from last year. I was there for 4 hours and tried 8 cars including last year’s winner (Calibra), this years (faster) car (Astra) and an Audi TT bodied Thunderslot which all did 5.6’s. Andrew’s Mercedes ran a 5.4 within a minute of testing. He also slapped together a Calibra with a Proslot Toyota GT1 chassis and ran 5.6’s straight away without any development.

I hate him.

We can all go home now and cry in our beer.

Would expect a car that is used to a certain track and driven by the person who built it to be competative , home advantage is always a big plus, i,m just sending 2 normal cars with conventional chassis in and quite expect not to be competative with any car that has home advantage , without the likes of the rest of the field it would be a lonely race running on your own, but that way you could win every round.:ph34r:

Something I did discover is to forget all preconceived ideas where you think the lead should go and put it behind the rear axle. Doesn't make sense but on Andrew's track it works.

fetch?id=1665283&d=1599794022

Edited by Sports Racer

I have one of the 2 NSR clio running really good now but i am also testing some ninco megane bodies on 3d chassis... but i still have the wrong POD/Motor configuration. By the way, one day we should run control motor for this proxy... something like the old light orange belt slot it motor that we all have stock of would be great!

Hi Curef99. The old orange motor may work but the new one seems to be producing some real variations going on our recent RTR Nationals. Regards Chas Le Breton

I hate running a control anything in a proxy. The more variation we have the more I learn what works and what doesn't.

This will be the 4th year we've run this proxy and every year I learn something new. For me the basics are use skinny urethane tyres (10mm wide Yellowdogs are my weapon of choice), car weighing around 90g, lightweight body, lexan interior, front tyres 1mm off the deck, 8mm deep guide and a podded chassis. 

After all Paul should know the way to go he won last year , and as far as the old slot it motor is conserned here it was found even they were of variable performance especially in the last year of manufacturer when some people tested the 21k as they were supposed to be and found 23K instead , very difficult to beleive any K rating on any make of motor ALL have variables.

I'm taking some of Paul's advice, 1404YD (skinny yellowdogs), podded  chassis, trying to find a decent motor to fit in now, swapping to a Piranha and see how that goes, The MG may be back

Number 2 test car, SCX Renault NSR 20K Fat Yellowdogs goes pretty nice but does it have enough???????

On 6/12/2021 at 5:06 AM, Pepsi62 said:

I'm taking some of Paul's advice, 1404YD (skinny yellowdogs)

The HrS2 based Ninco megane  bodied entry from the UK is ready for testing on Tuesday at LSC London :D

I can't find any supplier of yellow dogs in the UK, so by default i will use ortmann urethane. 

With all of the variations in track surface and temperature, rubber is just  too risky.

if anyone does know how I can grab some yellowdogs  1404YD in the UK please post a reply. 

When it comes to tyres, I believe that a first step of "do what everyone else does" is the best way to go.

Alan Wilkinson.