2021 Touring Car Proxy - builds

Sports Racer

While we are waiting for the rest of the field to arrive I thought I'd show you whats under the bonnet of my Megane.

Every time one of my cars returns from a Proxy I can't wait to get my hands on it as usually it has not done what it was expected to do.WIN:wacko:

So rather than send back a looser next year I set about changing the set up,1 because it wasn't good enough & 2 because I like to fiddle,some times I don't improve a car but with Proxies you have no idea of the tracks to be raced on for the best set up,just rely on some feed back &  a bit of video.

This year I've been busy trying to remove weight from my Plafit chassis from all my proxy cars,so with my trusty hacksaw removed the front half of the brass base plate & replaced it with Carbon fibre also making new H plates & guide tongues.While I was there decided to make the base plate a sprung unit similar to my 1/24th GT3's that we race locally at the Bullring.

Also tried replacing the springs with silicone washers & this is still a setup in the developement stages but shows some promise.

All up the Carbon parts have saved around 10 to 15 gms but I could find a few more gms if I got serious.I've tried to get the Yellow dogs to work but all my MJK tyres have been better,also lost a tooth on the Pinion hoping that will get the Plafit Pointer honking a little bit better.

I think that motor in Bov's car is one of the new Predator 22K donks from Slot Car Corner in the States,I'm trying a few at the moment & are looking very promising.

Here's my baby:D  

DSCN3573.jpg

Cheers Jimmy:D

Here's my GT3 for North America this year

DSCN3575.jpg

Edited by jimmyslots 1950
  • Like 2

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Been running the Predator motor here for some time and there is not a 22K there is a 25 K which looks normal, but there is a souped up 22-500 K with a translucent green end bell with full ball race shaft , which is very quick , i was going to use one in the proxy but didn't have time to set it up or check it out with Paul.

My observations on these motors are the 25 is very nice indeed but that 22-500K is really interesting it is so smooth and i think is running a balanced armature , has some very good brushes which are visible through the slot at the bottom, on my home track geared at 3 to 1 that motor with the same set up is equal to the 25 but so so smooth, wondered what Paul though about it , interesting to see him comment.

Thanks for the write up Jimmy but your chassis’s are so alien to me that I wouldn’t know what’s trick and what’s normal. Even your photos have me scratching my head wondering how the cars work.

Bov’s motor has a translucent green endbell and when you spin the rear wheels it feels like there’s no magnets in the motor. I’ve only tested it on my little track but after reading your comments I’m dying to see how it goes on a proper sized track.

If the COVID restrictions look like being in place for a while I’ll run the first round by myself on a proper sized track and I’ll probably run each car for 5 min on a single lane. At least you’ll see some action.

We’re on very tight restrictions until 2 September (no further than 5 ks travelling and no visiting anyone) but that could be extended or relaxed any day now. I’ll know more later this week.

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

Indeed the motor in my #2 Merc is the Predator 22.5k Ball Bearing motor - I think all the entrants in the slip - on proxy last year received one at the end of series....

So, I thought "it meets the definitions - let's try something different for the touring car proxy...."

I will certainly be loading up on more Predator motors on my next order to SCC...

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Hi Bov indeed this Predator ball raced motor is something i,ve been toying with for the last 3 months managed to get hold of 4 of them , but the import duty and the postage is really crippling to import them over here , no idea what all that would cost to import to OZ .

Have mounted one in a Thunderslot Lola , a Policar P4 and a Slot it Mclaren M8 differant gearing to try to sort out the best on John's wood track seems just over 3 to 1 using urethanes is not a bad one all round .

All for trying something differant that's why this year i ran with a BRM motor but looks like i am running foul with Paul as they are to quick, on copper tape wood track the Predator is about the same performance as the BRM, a lot smoother as your results in quali shows , your not far away from me , and i did a lot of changes to the Merc for this proxy first time ever i was able to set up on wood makes a lot of differance in getting the balance right , as in my opinion that's the main thing with the Merc.

Be interesting as the series goes on as one thing i,m learning about the Predator is it gets better and better and brakes up as it runs hotter , trick is keep the ballrace well lubed with some grease, and great to have access to the com , keep that clean increases performance .  

Um see my car still has yet to show up. I think my friends in Hawaii are having the same issue. Darn USPS. I would say if it is not there by weeks end go ahead and start. But that is your call.

It may be lost. Same tracking response as the first of the month. History shows it was in Miami 2 days before they showed it leaving. May still be in Miami.

Your item was processed through our MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on July 23, 2021 at 3:12 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Edited by ArroldN

MOPAR or NOCAR YES IT'S A HEMI

On 8/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, jimmyslots 1950 said:

While we are waiting for the rest of the field to arrive I thought I'd show you whats under the bonnet of my Megane.

Every time one of my cars returns from a Proxy I can't wait to get my hands on it as usually it has not done what it was expected to do.WIN:wacko:

So rather than send back a looser next year I set about changing the set up,1 because it wasn't good enough & 2 because I like to fiddle,some times I don't improve a car but with Proxies you have no idea of the tracks to be raced on for the best set up,just rely on some feed back &  a bit of video.

This year I've been busy trying to remove weight from my Plafit chassis from all my proxy cars,so with my trusty hacksaw removed the front half of the brass base plate & replaced it with Carbon fibre also making new H plates & guide tongues.While I was there decided to make the base plate a sprung unit similar to my 1/24th GT3's that we race locally at the Bullring.

Also tried replacing the springs with silicone washers & this is still a setup in the developement stages but shows some promise.

All up the Carbon parts have saved around 10 to 15 gms but I could find a few more gms if I got serious.I've tried to get the Yellow dogs to work but all my MJK tyres have been better,also lost a tooth on the Pinion hoping that will get the Plafit Pointer honking a little bit better.

I think that motor in Bov's car is one of the new Predator 22K donks from Slot Car Corner in the States,I'm trying a few at the moment & are looking very promising.

Here's my baby:D  

DSCN3573.jpg

Here's my GT3 for North America this year

DSCN3575.jpg

Hi Jimmyslots where did you get the carbon chassis, is it Plafit or ?

No thats not a Plafit upgrade,my scratch build from a sheet of 1mm Carbon fibre,a lot of trial & error.:blink:

I've got the same Chassis motor combo in my Bob Jane Camaro that raced yesterday in a Trans-Am Proxy in North Caroliner & had some very positive feed back from the drivers on the Facebook vid.

Last years Megane chassis was all PLafit but I decided to loose some weight as last years tyres gave up with 2 rounds to go.

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

13 hours ago, ArroldN said:

Um see my car still has yet to show up. I think my friends in Hawaii are having the same issue. Darn USPS

I had same thoughts. Monday i sent Sport racer a PM stating that when covid restrictions lift and he is able to start round 1, go ahead and start even if Aloha and my cars are not there, If an when our cars show up maybe we can join in.

ours cars still show in customs in germany

Edited by lancelot