Chrisguyw

NSR "Rosberg" McLaren F1 1986

Hello all,....I have been asked to do a "Rosberg" edition of the McLaren MP4/2C that he ran in practice for the 1986 Portuguese GP.......this was the only appearance of this car in the Marlboro "Light" colours.

As it is for his club NSR F1 series, I have obviously used one of the NSR white kits.

I did want it to look a touch closer to the actual car, so a few simple body mods have been made.......the sidepods have had the holes for the top mounted intakes filled, the  side vents have been closed in, vents cut into the top rear of the sidepods, and the wing has been lowered approx. 1/8th.

The rear wing has to be painted/decaled, some more suitable wing mirrors need to be made, detail bits to be sorted, and , the whole thing clearcoated.

Still lots to be done..................

DSCN4719.jpg

I thought that the interior was more or less done,........until I look at the close up Macro lens shots yikes.gif ..............right glove, hole in left shoulder, and a bit of helmet clean up need to be done,.....but, without the evil Macro lens highlighting these mistakes, it actually looks quite nice wink.png .

I did add some gauges to the dash, but, they can not be seen from this angle.

DSCN4720.jpg

I will post updates when done ......both the body, and the chassis build.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Edited by Chrisguyw
  • Like 1

Exceptional work as always Chris! Thanks for sharing (well, except of course for throwing shade on our efforts! :lol:)

Amazing what a difference those few subtle body mods have made. How did you do those rear vent slots? Surely they were done in a machine, no way could I do slots so straight free hand...

It goes without saying (but I will anyway) that the driver looks great, even with those minuscule so called "faults". Is that one of those Miniatures helmets you have talked about before? They must have leprechauns working in their factory or a shrinking technique to make the helmets that small after detailing them! ;)

Can't wait to see the final product B)

Are you building a bespoke chassis or using the NSR one?

1 minute ago, Shaynus said:

Exceptional work as always Chris! Thanks for sharing (well, except of course for throwing shade on our efforts! :lol:)

Amazing what a difference those few subtle body mods have made. How did you do those rear vent slots? Surely they were done in a machine, no way could I do slots so straight free hand...

It goes without saying (but I will anyway) that the driver looks great, even with those minuscule so called "faults". Is that one of those Miniatures helmets you have talked about before? They must have leprechauns working in their factory or a shrinking technique to make the helmets that small after detailing them! ;)

Can't wait to see the final product B)

Are you building a bespoke chassis or using the NSR one?

Hi Shane,.........a few answers.

1/ I wish I had a "vent" machine, but, the vents were done by hand,...and if I did not like the guy who it is going to , I would not have done them......a pain !!

I traced the vents on to the bare shell with a sharpie/ruler, and then used a series of small drill bits to drill a series of holes which were then joined with a scalpel, and cleaned with files and sandpaper,.......did I mention, that they were a pain ???,......worth it though ;)

2/ The Helmet is one of the "Interlagos" Miniatures that I have previously mentioned..........they do a ton of different drivers, and in person they look really good, and make any car !!

The Macro I use does point out a few flaws, but, to the naked eye they are very very  good...........may be a bit pricey for some.

3/ This car will be run in a club NSR F1 series, so , a custom chassis is a no go..........I will be using a "hard" NSR chassis plate with a few bits added, and as the tracks are all wood, the honking great FK180, will be replaced with an equally potent (and 10gm+  lighter) FC-130.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Amazing work, Chris.... end result will be another stunner.

I now have two T/S Moslers.. the yellow anniversary one is a beautiful car - not so much in love with the Martini one... but apparently, they go well.

Both of mine have A/W drive-lines.

frats,

Rosco

Looks great, I have had the decals and body on the bench for ages, I must free up some time and get this done.

That's great work Chris. 

Those Interlagos helmets are fantastic for the price. I wish they did something I could use - Michele Alboreto or Stefan Johansson perhaps.