Rnd .1 2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Series - West Adelaide Raceway

lenny broke

Rnd1 of the 2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Series will be run at West Adelaide Raceway (WAR) on the FPR track previously owned by John Smeadley who passed away last year. The round host is Mike aka Fooieman entrant of #69.

Resized-20210423-122607.jpg

Unfortunately the round set down to run this weekend has had to be postponed until next weekend and will kick off with qualifying on Friday night April 30 with racing the following day May 1.

Edited by lenny broke

Morning All,

Sorry for the lack of news for this round. The WAR crew have had some work commitments and local racing that have got in the way of running things up until now.

However today is race day so things will kick off this afternoon with qualifying. Later on racing will be getting underway around 4.30 pm CST.

I'll try and get the qualifying results posted before racing commences this afternoon.

Afternoon All,

Qualifying has been Run and Won

The track seemed to come on as the afternoon sun came over and warmed the room with most of the quicker times set toward the end of the qualifying run. Congrats to WizardGM for setting the pole time with Rosco and Paulslots in the other podium spots. Tas-Proxy-Rnd-1-WAR-Qualifying.png

The starting grid after qualifying was completed. sorry a bout the pic quality using my phone.

IMG-0028.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Thanks for getting the qualifying results to us Lenny,

Finally racing has begun and I'm looking forward to the results for round1.

Be good to see some pics of the cars if that's possible

Terry

Hi Lenny. Thanks for the qualifying report. Seems traction was a problem with many cars  which is surprising. Either too much or far too little. I always thought the late John's track  was pretty grippy like most Aussie tracks. Hopefully things will settle down. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Round 1 of the 20121 Tasman Proxy series has been run and won with Victory going to Paulslots, second to Wizard GM and third, our first international BrumosRSR Congratulations to our podium getters. Also well done to WizardGM for setting fastest lap. The race was incredibly tight with nothing decided till the last heat. All of the cars ran trouble free with only a couple mirrors and a windscreen coming adrift during the race. All will be fixed before the cars go off on their odyssey around the country.

Tasman-Proxy-rnd-1-WAR-results.jpg

the field in finishing order.

IMG-0026.jpg

A big thanks to our drivers today Graham, Alan, Peter and Clive. Also a great big thanks to John, Bert, Geoff and Dennis for marshaling through the Day and finally to Mike for hosting this opening round of the series under some difficult circumstances the previous week. Unfortunately we didn't get any mugshots of this lot before they all bunked off home.

Please note that Fooieman's #69 car is actually a Cooper T53 not a Brabham BT-3 I'll correct that before the next round.

Edited by lenny broke

2 hours ago, charlesx said:

Hi Lenny. Thanks for the qualifying report. Seems traction was a problem with many cars  which is surprising. Either too much or far too little. I always thought the late John's track  was pretty grippy like most Aussie tracks. Hopefully things will settle down. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Chas,

The FPR track has changed locations since John's passing and hasn't had the weekly racing that it has had previously so I think it's fair to say that the grip is not what it was back then. The grip levels did improve through the day as the sun came over and warmed the room the track is in and as a consequence the track surface warmed up a bit and improved grip.

Hi Terry,

We didn't have an official photographer here this afternoon so we only got a few phone pics I'll post them up shortly. If you want to see some pics of the individual cars entered this year they can be seen in the arrivals thread.

The cars are now back with me and I will give them all a check over before posting them off to Phil in Hobart on Monday morning. I will fix any small problems tomorrow. from what I remember it was mainly cosmetic bits falling off. I'll let the individual entrants know what I have done via PM.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Congratulations Paulslots on you victory and WizardGM on your podium.  Graham, Alan, Peter and Clive thank you for getting everything out of the #33 on your drive.  And thank you John, Bert, Geoff and Dennis for catching our cars when things didn’t go right.  Finally Mike thank you for hosting.  Good Luck to all next round.  

11 hours ago, Brumos RSR said:

Congratulations Paulslots on you victory and WizardGM on your podium.  Graham, Alan, Peter and Clive thank you for getting everything out of the #33 on your drive.  And thank you John, Bert, Geoff and Dennis for catching our cars when things didn’t go right.  Finally Mike thank you for hosting.  Good Luck to all next round.  

Brumos,

Thanks, and congratulations for your podium.

Congratulations to all the constructors for making this event a success, the place-getters and to ALL the four drivers who made for a very good day as there were VERY few offs during the whole event.

As to the comments on traction, yes the track was VERY different on the day compared to what it normally is and a lot of cars (including mine) were struggling to find grip, so much so that when I was testing on the track a couple of months ago, the car did a 5.7 second lap, with consistent 5.8 second laps.   Go figure why !!

The next round will be different as this could be considered as a 'home' track for the SA entries.

On to the next round.

Dennis

Thanks Lenny for your comments about track surface and also to Brumos for confirmation of a change in conditions. We all had to contend with the same however so no excuses. At least my   cars were consistent (consistently slow). Well done to the podiumites.

Phil's track of course could be quite different but I am not too sure I have ever performed too well there before. Time will tell. Will at least be good to visit the land of my grand mother.

Great start to the series and well done to the drivers/marshals and of course the organiser and track owner.. Sounds like you had some difficult conditions to contend with. As only about a lap between the first 10 for each heat and 2 laps between the first 18 it was clearly a very hard fought round.

Thanks  for all your good work too Lenny for keeping all the cars going.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi all,

Thanks to Alan and Mike, all the drivers and marshals. 

Alan great effort to get this series off the ground this year. 

Mike thank you  for hosting a great day. All the drivers did extremely well as did all the cars.

Most of the races / cars  were consistent with  little off's and not much  carnage, at all.

Marshaling was not to busy at all. The track is technical and requires concentration. It is a great track for these little cars.

Most of all when  I built the little 1512 Ferrari I did not expect to place on the podium never mind wining the round.

Congratulations the Dennis and Brumos.  

See where we end up by the end of the series. Best of luck to all

Thanks again

Paul 

• Like 1

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough