MrFlippant

Slot.it SCP Controller (basics)

You probably wouldn't even see it Johnno - it is quite common to get a stray wire on top when the guide is rotating. Been guilty myself enough times....

And if it is your braids below the guide plate, shorting across the track braid as you deslot, it's going to be under the car

If it is someone else's car deslotting, and tracking across your lane - you wouldn't see that either, as you'll be focused on your own.

If it's someones body screw fallen out and dropped into your slot, and the head shorted your track - you'll find that okay  . . . .  when your car stops dead a part lap later... and YEEEEEP,  had that a couple of times. Snapped a guide holder or two in years gone by.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

On 3/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Oldskool62 said:

@MrFlippantThanks for taking the time to put thisvideo together. As a new comer to more serious slot cars racing and knowing little about controllers it took away some of the confusion I had.

I have always just been an old school controller guy who ignored any of the bells and whistles as I always looked at controllers as something all racers should use the same. I guess this attitude gets back to the rich kid having the best bike and the poor kid having the best talent.

In saying all this I need to get on board and get a controller.

I'm glad it helped.

What we found, as a group in my area, was that the good drivers could win with the least of the controllers. A good controller can help the new drivers come to grips with driving a little faster. So far, controller price has not equaled wins. ;-)

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, MrFlippant said:

That's a reasonable explanation. Hopefully we can get clarification from Johnno. Along with knowing the specifics about the controller, it's clear that we'd also need to know about the track and cars being used.

Sadly an update with this controller issue, it is still occurring on multiple tracks, random cars and random lanes :mellow:, I've taken on board about checking braids which are fine and I have been watching ;) hmmm

What I've been witnessing it appears to occur with one particular controller more often than others, yep this is totally weird.

• Like 1

Something no one has mentioned.

Has the plug on the offending controller been checked?

There could be debris or flyaway wire fragments causing problems inside the plug.

AlanW 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nonfractal said:

Something no one has mentioned.

Has the plug on the offending controller been checked?

There could be debris or flyaway wire fragments causing problems inside the plug.

AlanW 

I did mention at the time the controller might need some cleaning in a broad sense of the word. I can't see the controller having any broken/shorting wires as the owners look after their gear exceptionally well, will mention this next week.

Thanks Alan

On 3/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, SlotsNZ said:

You probably wouldn't even see it Johnno - it is quite common to get a stray wire on top when the guide is rotating. Been guilty myself enough times....

And if it is your braids below the guide plate, shorting across the track braid as you deslot, it's going to be under the car

If it is someone else's car deslotting, and tracking across your lane - you wouldn't see that either, as you'll be focused on your own.

If it's someones body screw fallen out and dropped into your slot, and the head shorted your track - you'll find that okay  . . . .  when your car stops dead a part lap later... and YEEEEEP,  had that a couple of times. Snapped a guide holder or two in years gone by.

I wouldn't see the others controller no as I am not looking in that direction, but the controller does the flash thing that the Slot.it controllers do.

I do notice the braid short on all cars as the flash/spark is easy to see even in peripheral vision.

With cars deslotting the car usually shoots across fast and have never seen any flash/spark with these stray cars, yes we have had cars deslot into the other lane and take off under another persons control, these are those WTF!!! moments.

As for body screws yes you find them the next lap around for sure, we have had quite a few of these as recently as last weeks race multiple times, this is why you should put a small ball of Blu-Tac in the screw hole after attaching body, simple and effective.

Regarding snapping guides, again we have had quite a few recently for one racer, turns out he has been 3d printing his own guides, they appear to be extremely weak for some reason.