Tyre Truers on a board

tsmsoccer

I decided that I wanted to attach my tyre truers onto a piece of Melamine chipboard so I could keep everything everything in one place. I was getting tired of rummaging through my slot car draws finding bits and pieces.

Now I can hang the board up against a wall and everything I need is ready to plug in and go

http://Tyre-Truers.png 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

My local club uses one of the Proses Truer and it seems to work ok. 

Curious to see others thoughts.

As you have indicated they work "OK" ,......and if that is what is used by all in your local club, everyone will be in the same boat,...so no one will be the wiser.;)

Additionally, if you run on plastic track with its inherent bumps and lumps the degree of precision offered by the Proses will be adequate.................a more precise truer will return a more accurate wheel/tyre assembly, which will be considerably more noticeable on smoother wood tracks/higher powered cars.

Cheers

Chris Walker

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chrisguyw said:

As you have indicated they work "OK" ,......and if that is what is used by all in your local club, everyone will be in the same boat,...so no one will be the wiser.;)

Additionally, if you run on plastic track with its inherent bumps and lumps the degree of precision offered by the Proses will be adequate.................a more precise truer will return a more accurate wheel/tyre assembly, which will be considerably more noticeable on smoother wood tracks/higher powered cars.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Chris I am up for a recommendation. The tire razor was the original one I wanted to go with. 

I am sure Chris will get back to you.

But in short, there are 3 brands of lathe I know of, which are quite similar. 
The Tire Razor you mentioned from a private maker in USA
The one that was originally made by Pete from one of the Ozzie Raceways called the  Area 3 Tyre True, which was bought by Professor Motor in USA and is now called the Professor Motor lathe, PMTR1401B; and
The RSM3 / RSM4 lathe marketed by Overdrive Slot Service in Germany.

They all do a similar job in my experience. Charlie's picture at top appears to be an RSM3

• Like 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

13 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

Chris I am up for a recommendation. The tire razor was the original one I wanted to go with. 

Hello, I would be happy to give you my thoughts,........but it does vary , depending on your intended usage. Do you folks race/run mainly with stock plastic wheels/axle assemblies, or, do you mainly race with grub screw type wheels ???

If you predominantly use stock wheel/axle assemblies (plastic wheels), any of the above machines mentioned by Mark, would be my choice, and any of these will provide more precision than the Proses. This style of machine is designed to hold the complete axle assembly without any need to remove the rear wheels from the axle  (certainly a bonus with plastic wheels), and for this reason alone, any of the machines mentioned by Mark would be wise choice.

It should be mentioned that the "Forks" that hold the axle bushings on these type of truers can be out of alignment vertically from the base sanding plate.......this should be checked/adjusted.

If you race/run predominantly with "removable" grub screw type aluminum wheels, it is hard to beat the "Hudy" type tyre machines, ....tyre machines which rotate the tyre against a counter rotating sanding drum, providing a cleaner more accurate cut. Additionally, there are no "hand held" or free floating bits involved in the truing process when using the Hudy type machines so  precision/consistency is further improved. 

The one issue that does arise with the Hudy (depending on your need/definition of  perfection), is the diameter of its axle......it is not so much a Hudy issue, as a wheel manufacturer issue, as various wheel manufacturers (Slot-it/NSR/Staffs/CB Design etc.) do produce wheels with slightly (very slightly) different bore diameters....(why can't we standardize ??). These slight differences result in a tiny bit of "Slop" when some wheels are used.

All tyre truers use electric motors that draw considerable amperage, so regardless of you final choice, you should use a variable voltage power supply (it should be able to go down to 3 volts), with a minimum of 5 amps.

So,.......in a perfect world, I would suggest one of each type :D, but, to be honest, if you are racing solely in a club atmosphere, and your club has a variety of classes using both plastic and aluminum wheels,  it is hard not to give the nod to the "Tyre razor" type machine,  based on both versatility and ease of use.  

Cheers

Chris Walker

Edited by Chrisguyw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SlotsNZ said:

I am sure Chris will get back to you.

But in short, there are 3 brands of lathe I know of, which are quite similar. 
The Tire Razor you mentioned from a private maker in USA
The one that was originally made by Pete from one of the Ozzie Raceways called the  Area 3 Tyre True, which was bought by Professor Motor in USA and is now called the Professor Motor lathe, PMTR1401B; and
The RSM3 / RSM4 lathe marketed by Overdrive Slot Service in Germany.

They all do a similar job in my experience. Charlie's picture at top appears to be an RSM3

Thanks Mark for adding to my confusion :D. I guess its a matter of finding out what is available. 

Check your local forum sponsors, one of them or another is bound to stock just about all of these.

RSM3 
rsm3.jpg

Professor Motor 1401B
pmtr1040a.jpg

Tire Razor 
tr1000_876x675.gif

Which came first, the chicken or the egg, or the egg or the chicken, or the chicken or the egg :)
They all work on the same principle, and I am not aware of any particular performance 
difference. Chris may be able to enlighten you on the Tire Razor vs. the other two.

Whichever one you end up getting,  we have a clever beggar in our club who is knocking up
replacement "Split Pulleys" for the car axle, at a little less than you may pay for originals, as
a lot of folk seem to strip the thread on these periodically.  Plus a different kid of pulley, for
use when you are truing alloy wheels on axles which is wider and a little more stable for them. 
He is on forum here as "Bingo" 

bing4.jpg

bing3.jpg

He is also doing extra base plates for the RSM and the Professor Motor, and could do the 
Razor as well, - he would just need to know the width and length of the plate.

pmtr1402-1.jpg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

2 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

Thanks Mark for adding to my confusion :D. I guess its a matter of finding out what is available. 

Hi , As Mark has correctly indicated, there is really not much difference in the performance/quality of the truers outlined (Tire Razor/Prof. MTR./RSM).........they will all do a good job. To be honest the technique and process of truing tires (tyres) is more important  than the machine used..................and that is the subject of another thread, once you have truer in hand !!

So, as I am a proponent of "Support your local Bricks and mortar slot car retailer", I would find out what is available locally and put your money down.

Again, I must reiterate..........please ensure you have a power supply that is adjustable down to 3 (ish) volts, and has a minimum of 5 amps.

Cheers

Chris Walker

• Upvote 1

I don't think Chris was suggesting to look for another local maker,  but to do the same as I said above

"Check your local forum sponsors, one of them or another is bound to stock just about all of these."

Hi all.

Commercial tyre truers are great but unless you are into metal cars and have to grind a lot of foam tyres all the time they are not the only option. Nice to have but not essential.

I have a contraption made out of a $20 drill press clamp and a Slot-it motor mount. It is fairly slow (mainly because I want to keep the tyres cool) but does a good job. Alternatively the old sand paper on the track or a cheap tyre sander will do the job. The latter also gets away from problem with inline set-ups.

Just a suggestion. Regards Chas Le Breton

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, charlesx said:

Hi all.

Commercial tyre truers are great but unless you are into metal cars and have to grind a lot of foam tyres all the time they are not the only option. Nice to have but not essential.

I have a contraption made out of a $20 drill press clamp and a Slot-it motor mount. It is fairly slow (mainly because I want to keep the tyres cool) but does a good job. Alternatively the old sand paper on the track or a cheap tyre sander will do the job. The latter also gets away from problem with inline set-ups.

Just a suggestion. Regards Chas Le Breton

Chas I'd be really interested to see your setup. Aside from the tyres I'd like to do the plastic wheels.

I did a bit of research into buying one of these, but was a bit put off by the $300 price tag. Lots of the bits can be bought as spares for small amounts. The mabuchi motor used by one of them can be worked out and is also cheap if you buy no-name. That leaves the aluminium fork and main body for around $200. I'm thinking it should be possible to 3D print them, but that's a project for another day.

6 hours ago, charlesx said:

OK will look out for it. Not received to date. Regards Chas Le Breton

PS. I should find out how to post photos. It used to be so easy.

It's still easy Chas, pretty much the same way it used to be but I use Postimage instead of photosucket now.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg