tsmsoccer

Speed Checker

Has anyone else picked up one of these from Armchair Racer yet.

I got one earlier this week and they excellent for testing the performance of motors. Even motors of the same type show differences when running them on the speed checker.

They are also great to see the difference in performance when you start playing with different size crowns and pinions.

speedcheckerside.gif

Image from Armchair Racer

Charlie

THey also have a tyre truer

rsm.gif

Image from Armchair racer

I'd love to get both and will probably look that way once I've spent all I need to on stuff for my wood track

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

Interesting that Armchair are selling the Tamiya speed checker. A couple of years ago when I mentioned having one of these to Jim he told me it would be better to make one with the rear wheels driving a dynamo to power a small 12v light to simulate a working load. That would give a more accurate measure of the car's performance as the Tamiya speed checker has no load.

Promised myself that one day I'd wire in a light on mine with an on/off switch so I could get 2 readings - loaded and unloaded. That way I could get a max speed reading and a torque reading.

Like so many of my other projects it's gathering dust somewhere out in the garage. Must reserect it sometime soon.

May the downforce be with you.

Interesting that Armchair are selling the Tamiya speed checker. A couple of years ago when I mentioned having one of these to Jim he told me it would be better to make one with the rear wheels driving a dynamo to power a small 12v light to simulate a working load. That would give a more accurate measure of the car's performance as the Tamiya speed checker has no load.

Promised myself that one day I'd wire in a light on mine with an on/off switch so I could get 2 readings - loaded and unloaded. That way I could get a max speed reading and a torque reading.

Like so many of my other projects it's gathering dust somewhere out in the garage. Must reserect it sometime soon.

I think that so many people wanted one that he decided to get them anyway when a source became available.

Yeah, I've been thinking about a tyre lathe as well.... The one that is sold at armchair looks excellent, but its total over kill (especially for the price). It shouldn't be hard to rig something up with a bit of square tube, a DSE motor and a tamiya pully/belt kit... Oh hang on...must complete track first

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Picked up a Tamiya speed checker from a local hobby shop today for $50 and thought I'd have a go at converting it for slot cars. It was a straight forward job so I'll post some pics for anyone who's interested.

This is the speed checker out of the box

sc1yo.jpg

First step is to remove the bottom half of the casing to expose the insides.

sc2be.jpg

The middle set of drive wheels are what measure the speed, so the front ones can be removed. The back ones look a bit more difficult to remove so I left them in place, they don't get used. Unscrew the spring clip and remove the front plastic car stopper.

sc3.jpg

Replace the bottom half of the casing. The top now looks like this.

sc5c.jpg

I cut some strips of MDF about 7mm high and glued on some left over braid. You could also use a piece of plastic track if you like. I screwed on some BP connectors to join the braid to the supply wires and put banana plugs on the ends. I also used 5 min araldite in the connectors and at the ends of the braid to add some mechanical strength.

sc6x.jpg

I glued a strip of MDF to a piece of steel to act as a car stopper at the front. This is required otherwise the braids will dead short.

sc7m.jpg

Job done, just plug in your power supply and test away.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

do I really need to register with image shack to view these pictures?

I simply removed the front rollers and stapled some solder wick to a piece of future board and stuck the future board to the base with double sided tape.

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

Thanks for the heads up, I just went on Ebay and got one for myself.

Can't wait to try it out. ;)

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Picked up a Tamiya speed checker from a local hobby shop today for $50 and thought I'd have a go at converting it for slot cars. It was a straight forward job so I'll post some pics for anyone who's interested.

This is the speed checker out of the box

sc1yo.jpg

First step is to remove the bottom half of the casing to expose the insides.

sc2be.jpg

The middle set of drive wheels are what measure the speed, so the front ones can be removed. The back ones look a bit more difficult to remove so I left them in place, they don't get used. Unscrew the spring clip and remove the front plastic car stopper.

sc3.jpg

Replace the bottom half of the casing. The top now looks like this.

sc5c.jpg

I cut some strips of MDF about 7mm high and glued on some left over braid. You could also use a piece of plastic track if you like. I screwed on some BP connectors to join the braid to the supply wires and put banana plugs on the ends. I also used 5 min araldite in the connectors and at the ends of the braid to add some mechanical strength.

sc6x.jpg

I glued a strip of MDF to a piece of steel to act as a car stopper at the front. This is required otherwise the braids will dead short.

sc7m.jpg

Job done, just plug in your power supply and test away.

- Cam

Camber,

Howdy.

Nice setup, thanks for sharing.

Some questions.

What "setup" powers the car ?

Thank You

...............Take it easy

I bought my speed checker from armchair,they are already set up.I use a 1:1 car battery charger to power mine(the charger runs the car and two "AA" power the speed checker). My car charger has variable settings I tested all settings on voltmeter and on high it charges at 13.5 volts, which we run at W2F. It just clamps straight on to leads of the speed checker.Piece of p#*s.

What "setup" powers the car ?

Thank You

Ideally a small variable power supply or you could hook it up to your track power if you wanted.

You probably want to keep it the same as track voltage which is usually 12 or 13.8 on wood tracks.

Thanks

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Hello Cam

Can a 1/24 scale car fit on your contraption?

How much is the motor loaded up while testing? Is it just free reving or is there some sort of resistance, perhaps make the test a little more realistic?