I was getting a bit tired of the cars I run in our pre-65 club class, so when I was kindly gifted this cool MMRC Cobra (thanks Pedro!), I knew this car would be hitting the track.

Sadly, it was a front motor configuration...

Vqp6pXll.jpg

...so I filled the original motor space in the chassis with lead sheet, and epoxied it in place. A shot of matt black makes it look a lot tidier. 

zUNLbWCl.jpg

I cut the stock interior down and put in a new lexan floor (more matt black there too) and sectioned off the front body posts that were part of the original interior. I shortened these to lower the stance of the car, and epoxied them into place. 

YNGXDnnl.jpg

This car has no rear body posts. The back of the chassis simply clips into the body, so i trimmed down the holding rods, to get some chassis rock. 

wyy3mFWl.jpg

It's now running alloys on the rear, with NSR Ultragrips. The front axle was tubed to get a lower front end and to get the guide down deep in the slot. The underside of the chassis ended up here:

HnmSzCBl.jpg

...and the car ended up here; a few mm lower than stock and the drastically cut down interior looks passable.  

APcPZpCl.jpg

fitlAcgl.jpg

It's a honey on the track; very stable and predictable. We run a 16k motor limit for this class so, naturally, I opted for a SRP16k. They are such a good motor. Love them.  

Sadly, lap times were a bit down on expectation. It's a few tenths off the pace of my FLY Ferrari 250 LM, but I'm going to have to race it. It's hard to go past a sweet Cobra on the track and the times will drop as the motor frees up and the tyres come on. 

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Like 2

Podiums are for short people.

Great work, Mac...

What did you use for the front axle tube - 1/8" square brass rod?

Cobra's always looked a lovely car... in fact, it was in search of a Scalextric AC Cobra from the mid '60's that brought me back into this hobby four or five years back.

I did not know of Carrera, and was about to shell out $120 for a used Scalextric one with a lot of damage from a collector type store when I went on line.... and Carrera came up..... I bought two Cobra's there and then, and now have four in total. The Carrera ones run very smoothly, but are not fast models... they tyres look more scale than for track work and all four drift a lot on Scalextric Sport track.... I then found the Cheetah and bought four of those... those models were my re-induction into slot cars.... then I found Slot-It and seven GT-40's later... well, let's just say - I'm back... 

Again, great work on your Cobra - and yes, those little SRP 16's are a great motor for the size.... 

frats,

Rosco

I feel your pain, Rosco. I also seem to get fixated on particular models and feel the need to have 4 of each. I have had a lot of Cobras in the past but sold them on to other club members or flicked them on our local auction site.

I can't source K&S 1/8th square rod in NZ at the moment. I used the 1/8 round tube on this build.   

Getting what you want in K&S is is a bit testing at present, Mac... I have just one length of it, and am currently using it on the LJ Torana build.

It has a bit of slop in it with a 3/32" axle... but, I guess it's ok... I'm just used to running in close fitting bushes.. I wouldn't be happy with this slop if it was the rear axle..... 

frats,

Rosco

Yeah, that is a corker, good job. Quite partial to Cobras myself but 1:1 versions are off limits to me so a couple of 1/32 cars suffice. One of mine is a mid-engined Ninco the other a sidewinder and they both are a joy to drive and often on the pointy end podium position.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Didn’t know there was a sidewinder Cobra out there, Bram. What brand?

1 hour ago, slotmadmac said:

Didn’t know there was a sidewinder Cobra out there, Bram. What brand?

Home-brand. A Revell Snaptite kit body on a modified Pioneer chassis.

17.jpg

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

10 hours ago, Wobble said:

....on a modified Pioneer chassis.

I should've guessed.

• Like 1