Bob Jane HQ Monaro.

Oldskool62

Hi Warren,

I believe Bob Jane's Torana and Monaro was a more tangerine colour than the red of the HDT..... 

You may have to mix your own, more likely a combination of red and yellow..... 

If you have Adobe Photo-shop, you can download a pic from the web of Jane's Monaro and paint bucket a sample of it.... Get one of the HDT cars as well and compare the swabs.

That way, you'll see how much of what you need to add to the red to produce the tangerine shade... 

That's what I did to match the LJ XU-1 Torana for Patto's decals... I believe I got very close - and the colour is not what Scalextric used on the later A9-X or earlier L-34... 

If you don't have Photo-shop, you could ask someone who does have it.... 

I sent a few emails to Scalextric, who simply didn't know what paint was used on the L-34 or A9-X... they made contact twice with the factory in China - but they refused to release any information about the paint used..... it was always my suspicion that they used Tamiya - maybe it was a special commercial mix by Tamiya for Scalextric... we'll never know. But, to be fair - Scalextric did get back to me twice in an attempt to give me the information... 

I doubt you get an exact paint out of a bottle... but it's not difficult to mix your own. I use a very small syringe for exacting mixes of both colours... 

And, if you do go that way - write down and record somewhere you mix ratio...... for touch ups. Tamiya paints have been fairly stable and consistent in my experience so far..... Floquil were one of the worst for consistent paint... but the greatest for fine pigment and spray ability... 

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
append
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rosco01 said:

Hi Warren,

I believe Bob Jane's Torana was a more tangerine colour than the red of the HDT..... 

You may have to mix your own, more likely a combination of red and yellow..... 

If you have Adobe Photo-shop, you can download a pic from the web of Jane's Monaro and paint bucket a sample of it.... Get one of the HDT cars as well and compare the swabs.

That way, you'll see how much of what you need to add to the red to produce the tangerine shade... 

That's what I did to match the LJ XU-1 Torana for Patto's decals... I believe I got very close - and the colour is not what Scalextric used on the later A9-X or earlier L-34... 

If you don't have Photo-shop, you could ask someone who does have it.... 

I doubt you get an exact paint out of a bottle... but it's not difficult to mix your own. I use a very small syringe for exacting mixes of both colours... 

frats,

Rosco

@rosco01thanks for the reply. I think I will do as you suggest. I had a HQ Monaro that I think was the same colour. I think the  colour was Tangerine.

The Camaro was originally Hugger Orange, and I believe the Monaro was Sebring Orange.

But I Di remember reading an article on the Jane cars where it was stated that they later had a custom mix done for the team cars, that was similar but appeared brighter.

As photos from that period can vary a lot depending on film,photographers, processing and  printers unless I can find a code reference I just go with what looks close.

@kalbfellpThanks Phil. As mentioned I had a HQ Monaro in that colour however I thought someone might have painted one already and might have known what colour off the shelf from Tamiya would be the go.

I think I will give my lovely wife the decals I got from Patto and see what she can get me in Acrylic that's close (It's a pain being colour blind). And if I'm really nice She might mix the colour for me.

Hi Warren

If you are like me and don’t use an airbrush go to Auto West Paint supplies in Jamiesontown next to Penrith. They will make you up a spray can of whatever colour you need. I have got them to do the Moffat XY Falcon colour and it came up spot on. Or they will mix you a small container of you are going to airbrush. 

https://autowest.com.au/  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vinno said:

Hi Warren

If you are like me and don’t use an airbrush go to Auto West Paint supplies in Jamiesontown next to Penrith. They will make you up a spray can of whatever colour you need. I have got them to do the Moffat XY Falcon colour and it came up spot on. Or they will mix you a small container of you are going to airbrush. 

https://autowest.com.au/  

@Vinnothanks mate I will get there over the next few days.

Cheers

Warren