aussieslotter

Scorpius Wireless revolutionary braid disc decoder for SSD

Hi Guys,

Most analogue and digital racers would be familiar with the quick change braid disc that cones standard with Scalextric cars for around a decade now. 
Always the issues of soldering chips into cars to make them digital, or relying on the DPR hatch, that’s if the car has that feature. 

After reading an idea by Riko about putting the chip into the actual guide I was inspired to go one step further. Is it possible for a child or adult to install a digital with no soldering required? Without dismantling the car? 

Pic 1: Standard quick change braid disc by Scalextric.

Pic 2: Scorpius Wireless digital conversion chip for standard Scalextric cars to run on standard Scalextric Sports Digital Systems.

The board thickness is 0.7mm and the highest component 1.5mm or 2.2 mm total. This fits PERFECTLY into the available space! 
Unfortunately it is not compatible to Arc Pro powerbase. So only a concept at this stage. 

It has wireless and app connection for configuring the car decoder and upgrading firmware. Also features an accelerometer and wireless telemetry.

Looks like a fun project coming up :)

A634C1A9-B0EC-4ECE-825F-8180FD6DCBEA.jpeg

1B3D2CA8-7676-4342-96AA-774D091093D2.jpeg

Edited by aussieslotter
  • Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The original wireless digital system that GRUNTZ! :)

Hi aussieslotter, its a small world...

A few folk were discussing putting small decoders into guide blade assemblies within a thread which started with a discussion about putting just the LED or phototransistor into the guide blade. This started a few days back on sfi.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200941&p=2433005

There is reference to positioning of a decoder into the space where the guide plate is located within the SSD guide blade configuration/assembly - post #11 if I remember correctly. And thats dated 11/2/21. That thread too makes reference to Riko coming up with the original decoder-in-guide-blade concept. Great you took the idea onto the next stage with an inspiring CAD image of future possibilities.

Looks like a case of great minds thinking alike.

c

Edited by C-Type

7 hours ago, C-Type said:

Hi aussieslotter, its a small world...

A few folk were discussing putting small decoders into guide blade assemblies within a thread which started with a discussion about putting just the LED or phototransistor into the guide blade. This started a few days back on sfi.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200941&p=2433005

There is reference to positioning of a decoder into the space where the guide plate is located within the SSD guide blade configuration/assembly - post #11 if I remember correctly. And thats dated 11/2/21. That thread too makes reference to Riko coming up with the original decoder-in-guide-blade concept. Great you took the idea onto the next stage with an inspiring CAD image of future possibilities.

Looks like a case of great minds thinking alike.

c

Hi C

Yes I read the thread and have given credit accordingly to Riko being in the guide post. 

I have the read the thread just now, thanks for the link, and see another reference to a similar idea using solder blobs.

The trick here is the utilise what exists for power in and out of the chip. This is where the difference is in that this concept doesn’t need solder, or to even dismantle the car in any way. In fact only scissors are required to trim braids to a new length.

Also the fact it’s not compatible to Arc Pro is an issue.

Hope this clarifies.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi assieslotter,

Slightly different version from 2018... not a decoder in-a-Hornby-guide-plate... but LED in the same position as per your new idea and with guide blade reshaped for compatibility... it worked nicely... so hopefully this adds confidence that your new idea will work too.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201011&p=2434673

c

Here’s some progress pics shown exactly to scale.
Firstly a side view of the guide with new decoder attached, the oath of the braid and 2 raised conductive bars each side of the guide to press braid firmly onto board contact area and also to push shoe into contact with PCB for motor power.

Cavity allowed for the plate by existing guide is 15mm height wise. So my entire assembly can not exceeed 15mm.

Assuming I use a 4 mm board and a 0.5mm nylon insulator washer, custom cut to suit the Scalextric guide that allows 10.5mm highest component. All doable. Just.

The nRF52832 radio chip also just fits. It’s the largest component in terms of area so if that fits everything else will fit in the 135 or so available sq.mm. Assuming room is wasted with a circular PCB we can probably net around 80 sq mm of that 135 sq.mm. 

Now the current F1 nano chip by Scorpius uses 47 sq.mm so I’m adding an accelerometer and more powerful mosfets and still have room to spare.

PCB shape layout also shown with dimensions. I’ve only shown the radio chip, nRF52832. This shows the engineer the shape, position of slots and conductive pads for power in and out fir both polarities.

And finally a pic of the special nylon insulating washer that will be custom cut to suit the guide exactly. This is the crucial part of the design and without it the project cannot proceed. The pic shows how the power that normally goes to motor for analogue cars is diverted to the PCB using a frictional fit.
I’ve tested this configuration where it only wraps around the plate once, not twice as per factory. Pulling on the braid extremeAly hard seen the braid stay in place perfectly. 
The cut out on the nylon insulting washer allied power from decoder to motor via the factory stainless shoes supplied.
The LED will be infrared SMD (surface mounted) shining  downwards through a 2.00mm hole through the PCB. 

The entire idea is the decider can be fitted in seconds without removing the shell or the guide itself with only a small pair of side cutters required.

Rick

2B2950B0-FDCD-4961-A209-A902726EFBF0.jpeg

42DEDDF6-1433-44A0-9B2A-6C5567FB2CC1.jpeg

0626A78D-D53D-422F-8770-425FAE4C73E6.jpeg

Edited by aussieslotter
  • Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

1 hour ago, C-Type said:

Hi assieslotter,

Slightly different version from 2018... not a decoder in-a-Hornby-guide-plate... but LED in the same position as per your new idea and with guide blade reshaped for compatibility... it worked nicely... so hopefully this adds confidence that your new idea will work too.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201011&p=2434673

c

Thanks C.
Now to try to think of a work around for Arc Pro compatibility. 

And I believe C7042 APB has same issue unless upgraded.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

@aussieslotter

With ARC PRO the issue that raises your potential concern can be addressed with the so-called grey-wire mod (digital mode only) as documented on sfi. Or alternatively a simple auto APB-mode adapter can be used which retains both digital and analog functionality. Again this is documented on sfi.

There is no similar issue with the APB regardless of whether firmware v0.085 or v1.009 is in play.

So neither ARC PRO nor APB C7042 need raise any concerns.

c

Edited by C-Type

I wonder if this could be a fix for Arc Pro compatibility? A competition guide.

LED on rear of disc plate.

Guide extended forward.

Drawing scale : 10:1

SMD LED and IR beam shown in red.

PCB shown in green 

Braid shown in blue.

21.8mm from front of guide to LED.

Could this work? Hmmmmm

D44DD79D-7354-4CAE-946F-1150A27853B6.png

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Yes I seen that. 
I drew that up yesterday afternoon and emailed Riko a pic for his take on it. I guess there’s only 2 ways to find out. 

What’s crucial is, is it the time from the PB first sees the blade to the time it sees the LED or the time it stops seeing the LED. If it’s the latter the chances of working are reduced drastically  

Still not out of jail yet.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

56 minutes ago, aussieslotter said:

Yes I seen that. 
I drew that up yesterday afternoon and emailed Riko a pic for his take on it. I guess there’s only 2 ways to find out. 

What’s crucial is, is it the time from the PB first sees the blade to the time it sees the LED or the time it stops seeing the LED. If it’s the latter the chances of working are reduced drastically  

Still not out of jail yet.

Rick

hi aussieslotter, I put a description of how the ARC PRO sensors operate on sfi a few years back - might be worth taking a look?

Sorry I dont quite understand the specifics of your question but if you have a mental picture of how the sensor works the opportunity should become clear... there is certainly, in monopoly terms, a 'get out of jail free' card in there to be had.

c

.....and here utilising the factory guide with rear of guide only trimmed. Front of guide is left untouched.

Tools required: Small side cutters or hobby knife.

Skill set required: Entry level hobbyist.

Install method.

1. Trim 3mm (nominal) off rear of guide.

2. Install insulator 

3. Clip in decoder 

Done.

Rick

B78D72AB-4D44-4C40-8166-AA871CD58803.png

• Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

It works!

ok first video no sound but you can see the car activating laps on the Magic Arc app.

I went to shoot new video car chip caught on fire.  See second

So no second video with sound. But the poor chip did it’s job and died valiantly in the name of digital slot car miniaturisation and advancement.

So we know it works on ID 1 at low speed.

Next step onto our 12.5m/S test loop-de-loop. See here:

Once we test at speed on IDs1 and 6 successfully we can think about a specification and CAD drawings etc for a PCB design by John.

Rick

• Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The Arc Pro can only be out in the track one way. 
If so if it’s reversed will the LED in front of the guide not rear if guide then work?

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

31 minutes ago, aussieslotter said:

The Arc Pro can only be out in the track one way. 
If so if it’s reversed will the LED in front of the guide not rear if guide then work?

Rick

Hi aussieslotter,

Yes with the Magic app. No with the Hornby app.

c

I suppose... but then I like using the Hornby app... so for me the grey-wire-mod (digital only) or the auto-switcher-to-APB-mode (digital/analog) are the best because they give full speed on ID6... your variant of guide blade assembly will not quite deliver full system speed performance on ID6.

c

Edited by C-Type

Hi Guys,

Next issue is trying to get a very flat SMD LED with a lens.

Lots of versions around with no lens. However it will need to be tested and perhaps the next challenge. 

Next step to test at speed and this requires transplanting the Arc Pro lapcouting hardware into the infinity vertical test loop. 

Rick

73AEDE2D-99EA-483A-96B0-2E304F068DE7.jpeg

Edited by aussieslotter
  • Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I like the project aussieslotter, so ran a quick calculation...

With an 18mm standard guide blade, cut back by 2mm with the SMD LED at the mid point of the cut away...

For your above blade assembly with a standard unmodified ARC PRO powerbase the LED-SENSOR interaction length will be reduced to about 5mm. Its normally close to 13mm for a correctly positioned LED. The shorter the interaction length the lower the max speed for 100% reliable lap counting.

So the estimated max speed on ID6 for 100% reliable reads will be approx 3m/s.

Maybe my calculations are wrong?

The grey-wire mod would fix this and restore full interaction length (and hence max speed)... but I do appreciate your desire to keep everything as close to stock as possible.

Hope the trials go well and (although strange to advocate) also I hope for the sake of this project that my calculations are proven wrong.

c

Edited by C-Type

So adapting a Arc Pro lapcounter to a circular vertical test track...

C13A885C-A2E4-4D5B-ABB6-AA0CA4475177.jpeg

E0F66852-D34A-47FA-99E7-6C46021807B0.jpeg

I found a second set of blade sensors In the trailing end of the track piece. I’m going to assume that’s for pit exit detection and not include it in the testing for now.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi assieslotter, the vertical loop is probably over-kill for testing the LED-in-disk concept with a standard ARC PRO... just a simple oval of track maybe 2-3m per side should be enough to observe missed laps. Remove the grey wire on the sensors and the whole setup will get more lively.

c