grt

Richards FG Falcon Mods - why?

Not sure if its just coincidence or not, but have recently acquired three used Scalextric "Richards" FG Falcons as part of 2nd hand set purchases, and as I was pulling them apart to clean and tune, I noticed that in all three of them, the previous owner had cut the rear supports out that help hold the motor and bearings in place. The Holden Commodores in the same sets had not been modified at all, and I was wondering if there was a reason for this? Or is it just random coincidence that each owner thought it would make a difference?

In the case of the first Falcon I opened, which was running pretty poorly and noisily, the non endbell end (don't know what the proper term is for the arse end of the motor) had popped out of the bracket, presumably because those braces weren't there. And with the second one, the axle popped out while I was trying to fit new tyres (without first removing the body - my bad). It was at that point I noticed the supports in the body top had been removed. So I then checked a third version which I'd had for a while, and it was missing the supports as well, yet the Commodores were all intact.

Can anyone enlighten me on this practice?

This is the car I am talking about, I don't have any pics of the inside of the body, but will do that later tonight if I remember.

C3077_Ford_Falcon_FG_Richards_6_left.jpg

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

Does it look like the body posts have been shaved / cut down? In that photo it looks like the rear of the car is pretty low (rear wheels tucked high up on the guard), but that may just be the rear axle popped up or an illusion. I don't have a Falcon to compare to.

• Like 1

Hi Graeme. Some Scaly bearing holders are really tight but others can be quite loose with bearing (s) popping out if marshalled roughly (particularly some of the new inline models). Perhaps this was the case with the Falcons or was it an effort to reduce noise/vibration? The Falcons normally handle very well as their COG is vert low. A bit of marine or other suitable silicon is usually sufficient to keep bearings in place under normal racing condition. You can glue them in but they can be hard to get out.

No idea re Holdens. They generally handle less well but if racing magnet this may not be evident.

The motor popping out is most unusual but not unheard of. Again a little silicon should fix. Some people use hot glue but I think silicon is easier but takes time to set.

Regards Chas Le Breton )charlesx)

I agree Shaynus's  suggestion is a possibility.  Usually you would shorten both body post and stay  but stay could just been a short cut.

Holden may have benefited from same treatment if body  width would allow.

C Le B

As far as I can tell, the mounting posts have not been shaved to lower the body, and the body lines all seem to line up perfectly to the chassis. But from the pic below, you should be able to see that the supports that come down from the body have been cut off the Ford. These were all bought from 3 different people, so its strange that the exact same mods have been made, or was this done at the factory for some reason?

With regards to lowering, the Ford already seems to sit lower than the Holden, so its the Holden if anything that needs to be lowered, as there is a 2 or 3 mm gap from top of tyre to the wheel arch (see bottom pic). Also, the exhaust recess in the side of the Ford doesn't seem to have been deepened, which would surely need to have been done to lower the body? Just has me a little perplexed as it seems to me the wrong cars have been modified, and without any discernible benefit.

Just wondering if anyone out there has one of these Falcons and if that they could check whether the bearing support posts have been removed or not?

IMG_1717.JPG

C3322_Holden_Commodore_VE_Orange_888_pro

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

@grt I have the same Richards car and those two posts have been removed also. For me it didn't matter as the car didn't have a chassis so I just mounted up a HRS2 sidewinder chassis kit and mounted the body to the height I wanted.

Cheers Warren

Edited by Oldskool62

I've got the Van Gis SP Tools Falcon same shape and although I've lowered it a bit, it's still got the slightly shaved support posts although no help with your quandary.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hi Graeme.

I'm not sure of the reason for a different approach between the Falcons and the Holdens you have purchased, but the reason for removing the plastic mouldings that press down on the nylon bearings seems fairly straightforward.

Those mouldings will only hold the bearings in place if the body is screwed down tightly to the chassis. Most 'serious' slot car enthusiasts will loosen the body screws to allow the body to 'rock' or 'float'. Leaving  those mouldings in place may actually limit the amount of 'rock' or 'float'.

An extension of this theory is the removal of any other mouldings that might inhibit body movement e.g. the raised lips on the chassis mounting points where the body posts connect, 'surplus' body mounts (some chassis have 6 mounting points where 4 would be plenty) and any other moulding that limits body movement.

Den

• Like 2

Hi  As Den mentioned, I usually snip those posts off to ensure free body rock.  I usually glue the bushes in as well.  I have this same model and have done this.

• Like 2

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

"the previous owner had cut the rear supports out that help hold the motor and bearings in place"

These are removed to save weight and allow body float. Owner was supposed to glue bearings in...

wrote this yesterday......wouldn't post....came back today.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ld4ee01xswk24at/RM-Scalextric-V8-SP-Tools-rcr-016.jpg/file

http://www.mediafire.com/view/370a66y4ywqk1do/20190327_132315.jpg/file

Edited by Roger Miller

...............Take it easy

yes would have cut off the motor/bushing supports to be able to get better body float, bushings and motor should be glued in also to stop movement. The Holden's never handled as well as the FG did as the body didn't sit as low as the FG did in stock form. Different chassis on Holden too so most people raced FG as the Holden took a hell of a lot of work to get anywhere near as competitive as the FG was. I ended up repainting an FG and put the BOC decals on it and turned it into a Commodore ( sort of). The new ZB Commodore has changed it all.

Have to agree with Pepsi62. The newer Ford Falcon has an exceptionally low COG out of box. In our modified Aussie V8 class we are allowed to do just about anything as long as car body looks the same on outside but my modified Holden still has a higher COG than standard Davidson Falcon.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I got given a few Holden and Ford bodies so I ended up putting slot.it HRS2 chassis kits so all my cars are competitive with one another.