rosco01

Thunderslot McLaren ELVA Mk.1 Graham Hill Elvis Presley

Hi folk,

AusPost delivered two of my latest purchases today - A Mr Slotcar Mclaren F1 GTR white kit, and this amazing Thunderslot McLaren Elva Mk.1.

I was particularly taken with the Elva McLaren when I viewed it coming up as a pre-order. This is the car that Elvis drove (supposedly drove, but at least he sat in it) in the 1965 movie.... 

The detail is very good.. lovely, in fact. I am yet to pull off the body from the chassis - Thunderslot, apparently - use a different screw.. looks like a posidrive, but until I get out all my little special bits.. I haven't been able to get "under the bonnet".... 

Some pix.... 

001-front-left-mail.jpg

002-front-mail.jpg

003-rear-right-mail.jpg

004-right-side-mail.jpg

005-underneath-mail.jpg

008-interior-mail.jpg

009-model-mount-mail.jpg

I hadn't noticed the join line until viewing the close up pic of the drivers names.... it's on both sides and I'm a little unsure why it's there. The joint is secure... it could have been sanded down better prior to painting... unless it is prototypical of the model.. 

007-Graham-Hill-Elvis-Presley-mail.jpg

Also, for those who have now seen the pix.... did you notice anything "wrong" with detail.... again, unless this is also proto-typical.... clue - take a look a the wheels..... all the wheels... 

As for the configuration being "sidewinder"... this is a bit of a rouse.. for, the motor is angled slightly... and the crown is very thin.. like an anglewinder... 

I don't know if this is Thunderslot practice... and I suspect this will not be the last Thunderslot model I purchase.... so far, very impressed..

006-motor-gears-mail.jpg

The very fine mesh each side of the engine is worth drooling over.. I love this detail - it is rare to find it in slot cars.. but identifies a clear delineator in model railways... 

I have included a pic of the model mounted in the jewel case base..... take note! other manufacturers... if Thunderslot have the nouse to include a raised platform which keeps tyres up off the deck - so should you... and avoid me having to glue icy pole sticks to my jewel cases for every other model I have purchased.... please - take notice of this very nice little addition.. some thought put into the preservation of the model here... not just marketing presentation... 

This little model will not get a run until October.. when we set up our layout for Bathurst weekend... along with the additional 8 other models I have amassed since last having a track to run on... 

It will not be used as a competition car.... it, like so many of my others - is a collector..but, I will use it... I know my wife will fall in love with this car... along with the Corvette Stingray I bought her a couple of years back... she loves that car.. always have, and when one came up on the Carrera list... I simply had to get it for her..... along with the 9 1/4 inch Makita saw - I bought that for her too.... I just knew she'd love it... so, didn't hold back.... by golly, I'm such a kind and thoughtful person, aren't I?

Ok.. happy to answer any questions on the model...  there is also another two drivers names beneath Hill and Presley... one is Bruce McLaren.. I have not been able to squint hard enough under a magnifying glass to make out the other one.. this detail is absolutely miniscule.... 

I'll add some more pix when I get the bonnet up.... 

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
append
  • Like 1

Got quite a few Thunderslots Roscoe and think you'll be very happy with any you buy, it,s not quite a r-t-r  out of the box car i have found needs a little setting up but they all go really well, i have done a few comments on these cars on Auslot in the past.

The tyres are very much like NSR's classics treads which get better and better as you run the car in, the motor is really good for the K rate in fact i,ve found comprable with many 25's , but the best part is the handling in my mind one of the best handling chassis around , i,ve put differant harder chassis in a few of mine and that makes them even better on Carrera track, and of course they now do a wood style guide , bit bigger, wider and deeper but the same shape.

I also have Elvi's Elva , i didn't know he ever drove it , and think he just posed in it for screen shots, enjoy the experiance.

1 hour ago, Oldskool62 said:

Great detail Ross. The tyres  are different.

Yes, smaller Goodyear letters front and rear... but that's not "it".... worth another shot.

Think outside the square..... and think "5".... 

frats,

Rosco

1 hour ago, Peter Gunn said:

I also have Elvi's Elva , i didn't know he ever drove it , and think he just posed in it for screen shots, enjoy the experiance.

I noticed that this model does not appear on the Armchair catalogue....

My suspicion is that all allocated Elvis models were gobbled up before they were even shipped... 

It's a great looking model, Peter.... does yours have the fault line join on the driver's side (well, right hand side)?.. 

It shows Bruce McLaren and Elvis Presley as drivers on the right side... along with Bruce McLaren and another driver I can yet make the name of... they are lower down on the body sill.

Did you true the tyres?.. or just ran them on the tread pattern... I don't believe I'll touch mine.... this model won't be a performer... although I'm probably wasting an awful lot of potential.... I have bought it not only for the great looks, but because it's probably the only "Elvis" car I'll ever own... 

frats,

Rosco

Going by picture 5 it seems although the tyres are clear of the plinth when the car is screwed down, the mounting screw doesn't need to be tightened quite as much as it has been as the pod is slightly out of shape. Dunno if this is your #5 Rosco but it's there nevertheless.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Yes my Elvis has the 3 names to the left of the 5 as you look at it , and also if you look lower down just before you get to the silver line you can see the first 2 names again, i used a mag glass , the wheel inserts look a bit like the T 70 can am  one's, just ran it with the tyres as they were noticed these tyres appear to be a larger dia than on the early cars, seems more room under the rear.

Body joining lines are similar to yours but not quite as prenounced, i thought originally the release was going to be the Graham Hill car in the silver livery, think this gold was not on the car when Hill drove it , wondering if it was done for the film

4 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

The spare tyre is different.

Got it....... the wheel, more to the point.

My suspicion is that Thunderslot made a "one size fits all" interior for all the differing Elva models... and this one just happened "not" to be the chosen one for the job lot....

Bram, yes - my car... and yes - T/S have gone one further with their jewel case base... and provided a raised section for the model to sit on..... keeping the tyres up off the deck. I really wish that other manufacturers would adopt this practice. I c/a icy pole sticks to my case bases to effect this..... maybe not so bad for you track junkies - where your models get a regular run to keep the tyres round.... but many of mine sit in their cases for years on end .... and I found with some of them - "flats" develop on the tyres..... maybe something for others to consider... more specifically - slot car manufacturers... 

Chequered flag to OS-62... I could have been pedantic and waited for "wheel" to come up ...but I'll wave the flag for your answer... 

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Gunn said:

Yes my Elvis has the 3 names to the left of the 5 as you look at it

It took me a fair bit of "decyphering", Peter.... but I think I have all the lettering.

It's really good quality decaling... very sharp - but just "so" small....... here are a couple of really close up pix to clarify them... 

010-drivers-mail.jpg

011-drivers-names-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco

1 hour ago, rosco01 said:

Bram, yes - my car... and yes - T/S have gone one further with their jewel case base... and provided a raised section for the model to sit on..... keeping the tyres up off the deck. I really wish that other manufacturers would adopt this practice. I c/a icy pole sticks to my case bases to effect this..... maybe not so bad for you track junkies - where your models get a regular run to keep the tyres round.... but many of mine sit in their cases for years on end .... and I found with some of them - "flats" develop on the tyres..... maybe something for others to consider... more specifically - slot car manufacturers... 

My McLaren Elva hasn't been overtightened on the base and the pod pulled by the retaining screw. Maybe they need to add a bit of material where the mounting screw goes through as well to save pulling the pod out of shape.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

"Good thinking Max".... I might just have a little peek and see if I can make an improvement.. 

All four tyres clear my base... but, the rear ones sure are close to it... much, much better than having them sit on the deck - and then clamp them down with a cam or screw... and place the tyres on permanent compression in storage, Bram... 

I'll probably add some packing on top of the base mount as well.... so that when the model is nipped up with the screw - the pod is supported flush with the packing....

Did you note that the motor is slightly angled?... I'm sure they have done this for a reason... unlike Slot-It sidewinders which run square to the motor... 

Any thoughts?

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Thunderslot is indirectly related to NSR so no surprise to me that a slight angle exists as a sidewinder. To my way of thinking there's not enough angle to call it an anglewinder but I guess there are some pedants out there that would.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Thanks Bram,

not aware that T/S are related to NSR.... 

I am yet to purchase an NSR.. but am in the throes of considering the Mosler... the AW version... your thoughts?

If Armchair did a white kit version, I'd probably jump at that.. I have a Mr. Slotcar GTR McLaren white kit to build now.... be good to do two kit models at the same time...saves a lot of messing around in paint stages... 

The GTR went loosely fitted together almost "thrown up in the air and landed"... just a couple of fitting holes that needed a touch with a needle file - great kit.... I suspect it to be a variant of Slot-It.. there are quite a number of very "familiar" parts in the MS GTI.

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
append

1 hour ago, rosco01 said:

Thanks Bram,

not aware that T/S are related to NSR.... 

I am yet to purchase an NSR.. but am in the throes of considering the Mosler... the AW version... your thoughts?

If Armchair did a white kit version, I'd probably jump at that.. I have a Mr. Slotcar GTR McLaren white kit to build now.... be good to do two kit models at the same time...saves a lot of messing around in paint stages... 

The GTR went loosely fitted together almost "thrown up in the air and landed"... just a couple of fitting holes that needed a touch with a needle file - great kit.... I suspect it to be a variant of Slot-It.. there are quite a number of very "familiar" parts in the MS GTI.

frats,

Rosco

Sorry but can't help you with any thoughts concerning an a/w NSR Mosler as I only have a sidewinder version although I would imagine the forum has its fair share of a/w Mosler owners that could chip in with theirs.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

This motor set up in my opinion is one of the reasons why these cars go so well you have both advantages of angle and side in one package, the angle of the gears seems to be ideal for smooth fast running , i have put brass pinions on 2 of my Lola T70,s which were the first two produced and found the cars are still remarkably smooth and quiet, and even though these cars have done a lot of running that contrats shows hardly a sign of wear.

The Mosler is  a hot car for some reason this car stands out above the others just on sheer performance , i bought the NSR Porsche 908 to run with my Thunderslots as it,s a sidewinder, and after a bit of tweaking gives them a run for their money. 

Think the angle on the TS & NSR sidewinders also helps the rear axle clear the motor casing without touching. Removes the need for the narrow center axles. 

Thanks Caddo,

can anyone tell me what type and size tool I need for the screws on the T/S chassis/body mounts?... I have posidrive, but even my smallest won't fit this pattern.

frats,

Rosco

Mine hasn't got pozi drive screws, I just used an allen key to undo them.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

"You must always strive to be the best but you must never believe that you are."  Juan Manuel Fangio

F-14 pilot: My plane has a gun. (Edit: any pilot)
A-10 pilot: My gun has a plane!

Thanks chaps.... I have just ordered the T/S screwdriver set.... seemed a bit silly to pay $19 for just one driver...when their pouch with 25 bits in it was only $6 more... plus the handle and pouch..... 

Yes - Torx.. don't have any of those which are small enough.... more tools to find a home for in this ridiculously crammed room..... anyone who has never visited here, simply has no idea what this room/workshop/study/model display room is like.... one way in, and only one way out.... not including the door..... moving around in here is simply a case of shifting the "passage".... 

Just ordered the T/S Mosler AW and also Elva Mk 1 Can Am white kit..  I now have a "little" problem..... the room is too "little"..... 

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

I suppose you are correct, OS-62.... "if" I had more room - I'd have more "stuff"...

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldskool62 said:

@rosco01I don't mind a bit of clutter.

You'd love it here then, OS-62

frats,

Rosco