Lee Riley

Competitive brand for home racing against NSR Mosler

Hello, (first post, new to slots)

I am setting up a descent size Carrera Digital 132 set at home for myself and my boys to race on. Setting ourselves up with a few different classes, started with some Carrera GT cars, will have a Carrera DTM class, also getting us all a Policar F1 Monoposto for a third class. Now something I want to do on a bit more of an advanced level is buy a NSR Mosler and two other competitive brand/models that would give the Mosler a run for it's money out of the box and with slight mods. Now I've done a spreadsheet of models to compare motor rpm/gear ratio out of the box and its clear to see why the Mosler has a name for it's self out of the box. I've also calculated that on paper the SLOT.IT Audi R8C should be very close in top speed to the Mosler.

What I am asking advice on is a third brand/model that stacks up against those two. My requirements would be #1 quality, readily available information (a good website), available parts and upgrades, and similar race era/class appearance. I was looking at the MRSLOTCAR McLaren F1 GTR but information is limited, I worry the extra weight might be a slowing factor, despite the fact I would like to tinker with a metal chassis, and on paper it's motor/gear ratio combo calculates to a slower contender.

Recommendations for a third car to mix it with the Mosler?

I can only find a facebook page for any information on Revo slot, they do spark my interest, but not sure about spares/upgrades and on paper they are much slower

Hi Lee.

Mosler is pick of NSR cars when properly tuned but other NSR cars are not far behind. Thunderslot is probably best out of box car but Slot-it also very close with better tyres. The fitted ones are usually display only.

Revo Slot cars are good out of box as are Sideways. Revo Slot now have a great range but Thunder slot to date Canam models. Scaleauto also good so there is plenty to choose from.

There are probably other but this is what we use locally. If you race Carrera they are very sturdy but probably need to be raced with other Carrera. In my experience motors are reasonably low powered. They  may need shorter guide supplied if running on non-Carrera track. 

If you are racing magnet that can be a great leveler but can be hard on cars.

Have fun. Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Revoslot out the box are no match for an out of the box NSR.  But they are great cars to race against each other.  

For EVERY Revoslot part you think you may need 

http://www.132slotcar.us

The video is perfect for tuning after you have trued the tires, aligned the bushings and set the gear mesh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVUdSRHgS8&feature=emb_logo

Sir Superslab advanced plus tuning for the Revoslot 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNzCRVD0Fo

Edited by Brumos RSR

The best match for the NSR Mosler is two more NSR Moslers.

"You must always strive to be the best but you must never believe that you are."  Juan Manuel Fangio

I really think it's time to take the warning labels off of everything and let stupidity work itself out of the gene pool.

1 hour ago, mtpanorama said:

The best match for the NSR Mosler is two more NSR Moslers.

That's no fun, I'll leave the even playing field for the other classes

3 hours ago, Brumos RSR said:

Revoslot out the box are no match for an out of the box NSR.  But they are great cars to race against each other.  

For EVERY Revoslot part you think you may need 

http://www.132slotcar.us

The video is perfect for tuning after you have trued the tires, aligned the bushings and set the gear mesh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVUdSRHgS8&feature=emb_logo

Sir Superslab advanced plus tuning for the Revoslot 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNzCRVD0Fo

Thank you for the links, would you say the chassis of the Revo would support motor/gear ratio swaps that could match it with the Mosler?

3 hours ago, charlesx said:

Hi Lee.

Mosler is pick of NSR cars when properly tuned but other NSR cars are not far behind. Thunderslot is probably best out of box car but Slot-it also very close with better tyres. The fitted ones are usually display only.

Revo Slot cars are good out of box as are Sideways. Revo Slot now have a great range but Thunder slot to date Canam models. Scaleauto also good so there is plenty to choose from.

There are probably other but this is what we use locally. If you race Carrera they are very sturdy but probably need to be raced with other Carrera. In my experience motors are reasonably low powered. They  may need shorter guide supplied if running on non-Carrera track. 

If you are racing magnet that can be a great leveler but can be hard on cars.

Have fun. Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Thanks Charles, I'll have another look at those brands again, I have looked at them all but one thing I have found in slot cars is the information, websites, are not as easily to find as when I used to race RC. My Carrera cars will only be racing other Carreras and as far as guides they'll be good being Carrera on my track, But that makes me wonder all these other cars I get, how are their guides going to be in the Carrera track, is there a good aftermarket guide that will fit these other brands that will run better in the Carrera track than their stock ones?

I run Thunderslors on my Carrera track and use a wood guide , that comes as a spare for Thunderslots, also i use Slot it wood guides on all my other makes, do not have any cars you might call standard , all have been tweaked somewhere  , all my NSR's run with the wood guide they sell seperatly as well , why well the Carera slot is a bit deeper and a bit wider than most others.

As regards the Mosler you can tune cars to be competative with it , and a good base srart in my opinion would be a NSR 908 , Thunderslot Lola , Slot it cars are good but not quite in that class , unless you fully mod them and even then that Mosler is a slippery customer.

Hi Lee.

I do not disagree with Peter but you need to compare like with like. With Non-magnet Thunderslot is hard to beat out of the box. You must remember however that most NSR cars have a much more powerful motor but still need weighting to perform well. This is possibly not required for Magnet. Their standard tyre the Supergrip is very good also. The same applies to some others including Thunderslot and probably Revo Slot. Most Slot-it however only come with display tyres but are a lot cheaper. In NZ N22 tyres cost $15.

The NSR 908 is a great car but is one of their Classic series and has a much less powerful motor. It does handle very well though.

Hope this of some help. The VRAA Proxy in the USA was run on a number of different type tracks including Scalextric, Carrera and wood and people had no problem with different types of guide. Cannot say I like the wood guide but did put one on my Canam Proxy car because the guide mount was very high the way it was set up. I generally find if a car is set up correctly the guide depth is less critical.

Hope this of some help.  Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

2 hours ago, Peter Gunn said:

I run Thunderslors on my Carrera track and use a wood guide , that comes as a spare for Thunderslots, also i use Slot it wood guides on all my other makes, do not have any cars you might call standard , all have been tweaked somewhere  , all my NSR's run with the wood guide they sell seperatly as well , why well the Carera slot is a bit deeper and a bit wider than most others.

As regards the Mosler you can tune cars to be competative with it , and a good base srart in my opinion would be a NSR 908 , Thunderslot Lola , Slot it cars are good but not quite in that class , unless you fully mod them and even then that Mosler is a slippery customer.

Thanks peter, some good info there.

Mmmm I just found something, RTR HRS2 Chassis Anglewinder, on paper it looks fast!!! But at first search I can't find anything out about them, especially how to fit a body and what type would fit!

Just to be clear on what I was originally asking, I haven't decided on whether I will run magnets or not in this "super class" that I want to set up for myself. My goal is to have three quality brands that I can make as fast as possible on the layout I lay down. If that means magnets, so be it. I might leave the DTM class without magnets to give the boys and I something different to experience.  

I want 3 quality starting points that are reasonably competitive with each other out of the box, but more importantly I want three models that I can modify to achieve "THE LAP RECORD", the car that gets modified to a point where that model can physically go no faster and holds that elusive "LAP RECORD" is the ultimate winner. (And I get all the fun along the way trying to achieve that) ONLY criteria: has to look like a car. Being a Supercar/Class c/LMP of around the turn of the century would be an advantage but not critical.

NSR F1 is miles quicker than a Mosler round our club track...no mag, standard car, basic tuning.

Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...B)

Can't comment on a Mosler beater but if you intend to run superfast cars with magnets you might find that the speed that they fall off the track, and they will, is a lot greater and often the damage is too.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

By the sounds of your criteria just get 3 of whatever you want and load them up with magnets, you'll then get the results your after.

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

For me I find the "like for like" type racing my favorite. I have grouped my cars in categories of what they raced in real life plus what the performance of the slot car is. For example I get a buzz out of my Carrera and Scalextric muscle cars and old touring cars as I do out of my lNSR, Slot.it's etc.  I guess for me being a model enthusiast a lot of enjoyment is seeing the models you really like on a track going at pace that you and it are capable of.

• Like 1

Hear hear Oldskool62.  Agree too that magnet is very hard on cars. Non-magnet is much more fun. Once you get used to lesser grip you will never want to go back. With magnet might soon get bored with just going flat out all the time with little skill required.

Just my thoughts having bee down both paths. Agree NSR F1 is  great car out of box. Thunderslot are probably better but have a less powerful motor.

Regards Chas L:e Breton (charlesx)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, charlesx said:

Hear hear Oldskool62.  Agree too that magnet is very hard on cars. Non-magnet is much more fun. Once you get used to lesser grip you will never want to go back. With magnet might soon get bored with just going flat out all the time with little skill required.

Just my thoughts having bee down both paths. Agree NSR F1 is  great car out of box. Thunderslot are probably better but have a less powerful motor.

Regards Chas L:e Breton (charlesx)

F1 owns our club track record, no Thunderslot can get close.  NSR F1 is quick but MB/Allslot fibreglass chassis is quicker.  The only thing to get close has a Eurosport chassis and a falcon motor.

7 hours ago, gazza said:

By the sounds of your criteria just get 3 of whatever you want and load them up with magnets, you'll then get the results your after.

Sounds like I'm hitting a nerve of a diehard Anti-magnet racer here! I'm not of that opinion yet, give it time. In the hobby to see all it offers. I do appreciate the challenge of getting a non-magnet racing, even the opinion that magnets is a form of cheating if you like. No magnets in real cars!, no metal track in the middle of the road either!. I reckon if there was there'd be magnets in cars for sure.    

5 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

For me I find the "like for like" type racing my favorite. I have grouped my cars in categories of what they raced in real life plus what the performance of the slot car is. For example I get a buzz out of my Carrera and Scalextric muscle cars and old touring cars as I do out of my lNSR, Slot.it's etc.  I guess for me being a model enthusiast a lot of enjoyment is seeing the models you really like on a track going at pace that you and it are capable of.

I appreciate and agree with this entirely. I will have three classes set up like this. This last class I am trying to establish mainly for myself, and will be mainly a time trial style of racing is a brand vs brand, manufacturer vs manufacturer. What other 2 brands have the platform that is upgradable and tuneable to beet an NSR (Mosler)? 

12 hours ago, Kevan said:

NSR F1 is miles quicker than a Mosler round our club track...no mag, standard car, basic tuning.

That's cool, if the Polycars didn't have that magnetic front wing I would definitely  be looking at the NSR F1, they definitely made me look at them more than once. Using the Polycars gives me exposure to another brand to tinker with. On paper the Polycar F1 is fast. Have you seen one running yet?

12 hours ago, Wobble said:

Can't comment on a Mosler beater but if you intend to run superfast cars with magnets you might find that the speed that they fall off the track, and they will, is a lot greater and often the damage is too.

I'll prepare my tears. It's gotta be done.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, Lee Riley said:

I had the MR mclaren gulf.  Best looking car i ever had, was a nightmare to setup properly.  Would not buy again

Not sure how big your track is but if its a home track i think it might be too small for the mosler AW.  They are very powerful and usually excel on bigger wooden tracks.

i would stick to your classic GT   SW for good handling - nsr 917, 908 p68, gt40, thunderslot, slot.it gt40, alfa can am, policar 330 etc would all be good.

Sideways group 5 usually you can get cheap for $60-70 - excellent value for money - brace the rear up

SlotIt Group 'C's with sidewinder pod are much quicker than an R8C

Racer/Sideways Group 5's are quicker than an R8C

MRSlotcar Mclaren goes nice once you true the front tyres right down so they don't rub the bodywork, in fact they go so nice you'll want to stick a quicker motor in.

Hi Lee.

I am into mainly standard cars except for gluing and truing and a bit of weight if really necessary. Most of our club members race Moslers butI like to be different. Raced my Thunderslot Lola GT for quite a while. Gives some of the slower Mosler's a hurry up. Have until recently never got an angle-winder going well but currently my NSR Chevrolet Corvette is giving all but the fastest Moslers a run for their money but my NSR Aston is still a dog. Our biggest track is only about 20metres so do not altogether agree with some of the above comments. Even on my small but fast 10m wood track they are extremely fast. My fastest Thunderslot Lola GT time is about 3.2 secs but the fastest Moslers break 3sec barrier. Regards Chas Le Breton

51 minutes ago, charlesx said:

Hi Lee.

I am into mainly standard cars except for gluing and truing and a bit of weight if really necessary. Most of our club members race Moslers butI like to be different. Raced my Thunderslot Lola GT for quite a while. Gives some of the slower Mosler's a hurry up. Have until recently never got an angle-winder going well but currently my NSR Chevrolet Corvette is giving all but the fastest Moslers a run for their money but my NSR Aston is still a dog. Our biggest track is only about 20metres so do not altogether agree with some of the above comments. Even on my small but fast 10m wood track they are extremely fast. My fastest Thunderslot Lola GT time is about 3.2 secs but the fastest Moslers break 3sec barrier. Regards Chas Le Breton

Thank you for your feedback, I've had a chance to have a bit of a play now since I have set up a decent home track, about 16m Carrera Digital, and I must say out of the box the slot.it McLaren can set a faster lap time (4.8s) than then mosler due to the magnet set-up in each. I've since installed a carrera magnet under the rear of the motor pod of the Mosler and it's ridiculously fast and stable (4.2s), feels like cheating, but hey my track - my rules. I took that magnet back out to go back in the carrera it came out of and put a small round magnet under the rear of the motor pod, lined up with the centreline, but its been less effective (5.2s) and now I can't match the McLaren again, dropping almost a second of its lap time. So I've added another magnet to my shopping list. I just started looking at the Thunderslot Lola mkIII, they look like a quality car with some good tuning options. I've also added that to my shopping list with some gears and suspension and magnet to see how it stacks up against these 2. I'll keep playing with the magnet down force for a while yet, but eventually I might take all the magnets out and stack them all up against each other in that format. As mentioned in previous comments with the speed of the magnets set-ups comes high speed de-slots, they weren't wrong! But the mosler is a tough little car despite its light weight, less inertia I guess. 

Hi Lee.

I have raced on Carrera track several times in the USA. Nice track but I raced non-magnet. At home have only raced on Scaly (magnet and non-magnet) plus Ninco magnet. Now a dedicated Wood track racer.

Have also tried several Aussie tracks but they have rougher surface to accommodate dusty conditions.

If you ever start non-magnet you will never go back once you get used to it. Takes a bit more tyre preparation but well worth effort.

Regards Chas Le Breton