Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Policar 512 Coda Lunga

Tired of my Fly Alpha (ghastly inline chassis) 512 Coda Lunga sitting in the drawer doing nothing. The Alpha body is lighter than the regular version and it also has a light-weight tray interior which is great if it's required to undergo a change of chassis. Turns out with minimal work a Policar 330 P4/ 412P chassis is easy to install. The pod side mounting holes line up with the body posts and I had to add a new chassis mount at the front behind the guide that lines up with the front body post. Last night it had its 1st real run and was holding its own against a NSR Ford Mk4 so I'm happy with that and it looks real good hunkered down and going for it.

DSCF6170.jpg

DSCF6171.jpg

DSCF6173.jpg

• Like 4

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Alpha, (Spelt 'ph')   if I remember right, were a budget range of Fly releases with a very basic chassis that came up in ownership change 4.7b v9.6a (or thereabouts :) )   It is the same Ferrari 512 body mould as was used in previous releases in both Fly and GB track ranges.
I think the body was lighter simply because of the light weight interior as Rafael B. jnr, who was in charge by this point, would never have created a new mould with thinner plastic walls so to be light, just for the budget range of cars. More likely it got the lexan interior treatment to save manufacturing costs, which improved performance slightly  from awful to almost-awful, as an unintended side benefit.

1 hour ago, big den said:

An Alfa? Or a Ferrari?

Den

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SlotsNZ said:

Alpha, (Spelt 'ph')   if I remember right, were a budget range of Fly releases with a very basic chassis that came up in ownership change 4.7b v9.6a (or thereabouts :) )   It is the same Ferrari 512 body mould as was used in previous releases in both Fly and GB track ranges.
I think the body was lighter simply because of the light weight interior as Rafael B. jnr, who was in charge by this point, would never have created a new mould with thinner plastic walls so to be light, just for the budget range of cars. More likely it got the lexan interior treatment to save manufacturing costs, which improved performance slightly  from awful to almost-awful, as an unintended side benefit.

Thanks Mark. I had intended to write 'Alpha series' to clarify, but got side-tracked by adding "(ghastly inline chassis)" to describe it. However your description is a lot fuller than mine would/could have been.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

My apologies Bram, and thanks for the clarification Mark.

I must confess that in 12 or 13 years of 1:32 scale racing I had not heard any mention of Fly having an 'Alpha' series of cars but had heard of GB Track.

Lesson? If you don't ask you won't learn anything.

In my defence I have seen the brand Alfa misspelled so often, including in our own club newsletter.

Some years ago the car-racing sports columns of our local newspaper regularly referred to 'Alphas' and 'Elphins' (the latter possibly due to our city having an Elphin Road).

So incensed was one motorsport fan that he wrote a letter to the newspaper editor replacing every instance of the letter 'f' with 'ph'.

So, just taking a few examples from this reply we would have had 'clariphication', 'conphess', 'Phly', 'iph', 'ophten' etc.

Phunny, eh?

Den