Shaynus

Scalextric XY, XW chassis wanted

Hi All

Has anyone got a Scalextric XW / WZ chassis laying around they want to get rid of, or know where just a chassis can be brought as a spare part?

If so, let me know, please, thanks!

Cheers,

Shayne

Hi Shaynus.

If your rules allow  know doubt  you could get a 3D one easy enough. Otherwise a genuine one should be available in UK if not Australia as they  are still current models as far as I am aware.

If you have broken current chassis however you should be able to repair.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx

Thanks Chas. You would think they would be available,  wouldn't you? I've searched the usual sites both Aus, NZ and UK, but with no luck. I've searched for either "XW chassis" or "XY chassis" but so far have come up blank.

More than happy to be proved wrong though! Has any one got a part number for one I can search for It?

It is for a computer illiterate friend. His (2nd hand) chassis is very 2nd hand...

Class rules means it needs to be a Scalextric chassis.

Thanks!

I recall reading somewhere that Scalextric is going to stop providing most or all replacement parts for their cars. This might have already started. Good luck. 

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

3 hours ago, Wobble said:

I recall reading somewhere that Scalextric is going to stop providing most or all replacement parts for their cars. This might have already started. Good luck. 

And this is why they will get into financial trouble as the money comes from parts. Thank god for all the resin and 3d boys and girls out there.

Shaynus

I have found 2 Scalextric XY/XW chassis in my spares boxes. PM sent.

Oldskool62

I don't have any insider knowledge into the thought processes of slot car manufacturers but I'd suggest that for some establishing a spare parts inventory isn't high on their list of priorities.

With many models having a defined production limit it is possible that the number of components produced is just enough to satisfy the production run, but there may be a small 'margin' to allow for quality control problems.

However, the fact that it seems almost mandatory to equip each car with at least one 'wonky wheel' raises some doubt any quality control 'margin'.

Perhaps the budget manufacturers are clever enough to realise that we 'serious enthusiasts' will source our spare parts from the up-market companies.

Den

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, Oldskool62 said:

And this is why they will get into financial trouble as the money comes from parts.

I know this is true for 1:1 cars but I think toy and hobby shops count spares as lost money they may or may not get back.

"You must always strive to be the best but you must never believe that you are."  Juan Manuel Fangio

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners."  George Carlin

Yeah it's a real pity that Scalextric don't seem to make the spares anymore, especially the chassis's.

Like you Shayne I have searched the web but are unable to find what I'm after.

I have a few XY, XW, Mercury, Javelin brand new bodies that I got for some resin bodies I made.

Don't really 'Need' them, it's more me wanting to 'fix' unfinished cars,lol

Luckily some spares you can recreate yourself with resin.

Matt

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mtpanorama said:

I know this is true for 1:1 cars but I think toy and hobby shops count spares as lost money they may or may not get back.

It's crazy because there is money to be made in it. 

You would think there would be money to be made from it, but I guess parts are an overhead until sold and do take up storage space. If there was money to be made I guess they would do it?

I can design and print chassis if needed, but for the particular rules at my local club genuine manufacturer chassis need to be used.

• Like 1

Overhead, that was the word I was trying to think of.

Unless the chassis is too far gone you could try JB Weld with maybe some piano wire for reinforcement.  Have a search around the forum, there are quite a few broken/stretched chassis's put back together with JB Weld.

"You must always strive to be the best but you must never believe that you are."  Juan Manuel Fangio

The one that needs replacing is bloody horrible!  I don't know how it got to be on the condition it has. :blink: I'll have to try and get a photo of it.

I've managed to source one, thanks to the far reaching span of the Auslot community. Thanks everyone! :D

Shaynus......... if you get stuck, I firmly believe there to be a lot of acceptable "interpretation" by clubs when it comes to the demands of "original chassis".

In my opinion, rightly or wrongly - for as long as the chassis conforms to original design and basic componentry - there is huge "scope" for re-creating it.... 

Of course, this would more than likely demand that "some" of the original chassis is retained/used... 

We would have to know what the rules of each club - or in general demand of the written specification or definition of "chassis".... if this has not yet been decreed - perhaps it is timely that it should..... 

My 2c...

frats,

Rosco

Hmmm....that certainly is a "challenge".

I'm seriously hoping that the original owner of this chassis is not a forum member...?

Not unfixable - but a lot of work, just the same. 

From what I can see in your pix, from the motor mount forward could be brought up to scratch. From there back, it's not a cot-case - but certainly would involve a lot of replacing and the amount of work involved in making the refurb robust enough for both the rear axle and motor.... if it were me, I'd simply make up a brass and piano wire chassis and replace it.

If you were stubborn enough to want to fix this - you could maybe incorporate a motor/axle pod arrangement to the rear.

I don't believe I'd be brave enough to use a lamination of styrene card fused into the Hornby chassis.. it may be possible to do this by drilling and fitting brass screws - but I believe the work involved would far outweigh an easier alternative.

That chassis has been hashed....when I first saw the first pic, I was of the opinion it was a result of being in a dwelling fire... but then I saw the cut marks...

I can see that much of the attack has been effected to provide body float... but the amount of attack around the rear axle and crown opening.... hmmmmm I'm lost for words.

I'm starting to plan think this out, and see no other option than to cut out just enough of what remains of the rear to build in a replacement - the more I think on it, the more of the plan becomes clearer. I'd certainly be incorporating a little bit of brass or some thin piano wire into any addition - the piano wire running forward enough that it can be firmly fixed to the front half of the chassis...... there you have it - done. Cut the rear off, lay some piano wire along the sides of where the motor will go and secure it down to the chassis. then "build" the rear from a brass motor/axle frame..... 

The end result would more than not conform to any club rules regarding original chassis - so, we'd just ditch that idea and build up a full piano wire and brass chassis and be done with it... 

My thoughts,

frats,

Rosco

I wonder how different the XB chassis is the the XW/XY? I have a HQ Monaro body coming and was told either an XW/XY or XB chassis will fit. 

I should pull a couple of cars apart and suss it out.

1 hour ago, Oldskool62 said:

I wonder how different the XB chassis is the the XW/XY? I have a HQ Monaro body coming and was told either an XW/XY or XB chassis will fit. 

I should pull a couple of cars apart and suss it out.

Totally different kettle of fish. Scalextric opted to make the XB/C wider than scale by about 3-4mm and the XY/W 2-3mm narrower than scale dims, where there should only been about 1mm difference between the 2 models.

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

That chassis is horrible, what happened to it, whoever attacked that should not be allowed near slot cars.

Also the XB/XC chassis is sidewinder and the XW/XY is inline which I don't think you could sneak past the scrutineer.

Hi Shaynus.

Might be easier to buy another car then you have a spare body or could build a modified one for another class. In NZ I have seen new ones for as little as $70.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

PS. The original could not even be deemed a bad hack job. More like it had been cooked in microwave or the like as somebody else had said.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, Shaynus said:

The one that needs replacing is bloody horrible!  I don't know how it got to be on the condition it has. :blink: I'll have to try and get a photo of it.

I've managed to source one, thanks to the far reaching span of the Auslot community. Thanks everyone! :D

With Shaynus have sourced a replacement chassis (see post above) I don't think repairing the old chassis is relevant any longer.

However, if I had to do it I would keep the hole where the Digital Plug plate fits in and throw the rest away!

How did the chassis get like that? Perhaps the owner had fitted a Piranha (motor) which got loose and proceeded to voraciously attack the plastic?

Den

• Like 1

That Ozgames are advertising complete cars for $59 delivered.

When it's time for the HQ Monaro build I will go for either one of the 3d printed XW/XY chassis from Shapeways or use a HRS2 chassis kit which I ended up using on my Lowndes BA & Richards FG. Both cars got a workout yesterday at Penrith Slot Car plastic and the wood tracks. A bit of weight here and there and life's good.  When I get involved in club racing I will use my stock chassis cars, but for playing around I couldn't be happier with the HRS2 kit's.

4 hours ago, big den said:

With Shaynus have sourced a replacement chassis (see post above) I don't think repairing the old chassis is relevant any longer.

However, if I had to do it I would keep the hole where the Digital Plug plate fits in and throw the rest away!

How did the chassis get like that? Perhaps the owner had fitted a Piranha (motor) which got loose and proceeded to voraciously attack the plastic?

Den

And the brass bushes. 

1 hour ago, Vinno said:

And the brass bushes. 

I spotted those too, Vinno - someone has made a hash of trying to add them to the chassis - the end result would have denigrated performance.... the right hand bush is cock-eyed and must have caused binding across the axle...... or perhaps - it was a "loose" fit.

I'm starting to think that heat has been applied to "fuse" the plastic in some for.... I don't believe it was a soldering iron, perhaps a heat gun or torch. Possibility may have been to fit the brass bushes and "melt" them in... if anyone is considering this, just remember all plastic has a "memory"... and as it cools out - without being held in shape, is more than likely to take on a different shape than planned... if this has been the case, we can see here those results...

We must not forget here, that there are many slot car owners who are too frightened to have a go at tuning a model - for fear of making irripairable mistakes - too much negative comment and they either don't make any attempt again, or walk away from the hobby.... but - for goodness sake, if someone is going to make a first attempt and attack a chassis like this without at least throwing up their intentions to the forum for advice - they would be better advised to leave it to someone who has a little bit of experience - or ask them for hands on guidance... 

My thoughts,

frats,

Rosco