Sign in to follow this  
bathurst69

Total newbie from NSW

Hello and thanks for a great site.

I am hoping to get help here for the dream setup for the grandkids. A full set of bathurst winning cars on a decent track for them.

Can anyone point me to links that might help. So many questions to ask so sorry if I get over-bearing.

Do I need digital track to have 6 cars on track or do you all use old track ?

Once I get around the forum pages I should know where to post questions.

Regards to you all.

Hi Bathhurst69.

Really depends on how much room you have and how much you are willing to spend. I am assuming you are looking at your own setup.

The 1/24th Slotworx cars are probably your best bet. Think they about $200au each. There are clubs though that race these so that might  be an option. There is also a 1/32nd variety but I have not heard much about these of late.

Best of luck with your endeavours. There is probably a local club that can help with your choice. Alternatively go to the forums section of this site and select Slotworx thread in 1/24th section or go direct to their website with the link provided.

Regards and Happy New Year Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx

Are Slotworx still in production? What era cars are you after? The Scaley ones start to get expensive once they sell out at the shops, though if you are patient and look around I have seen some bargains on the 70's era. When I say bargain, I mean RRP. Some of the Supercars era cars start to climb in value but some seem to stay close to the original RRP. Just be patient and look around.

Are you talking about a 2 lane track? Scalextric track is fairly cheap. The older type track (I think its often called "classic") is very cheap to buy but the slot is shallower than the newer "Sport" track. The plating on the Scalextric track isn't that durable so look out for that if buying used. Some people find ways to rejuvinate it but its probably always going to take care to keep it in good operating condition.

I run Carrera plastic track but the geometry is a bit awkward and thus uses a fair amount of real estate to build a layout. It's also not cheap compared to Scalextric.

Hope that helps a little bit, maybe not though!

Good luck.

Welcome aboard Bathurst69

If you want to race 6 cars on a 2 lane track then yeah, you will need to go Scalextric digital. Scalextric digital pieces (lane changers, pit lane pieces) are compatible with the newer ("current ") Scalextric sport track. As a guide, especially when looking a photos, Sports track has rectangular joining tabs, while "classic" (old) has the round shaped tabs.

Also, as far as I know, Scalextric Digital is not compatible with SCX digital

Cheers

Shayne

Hi again Bathurst 69.

If you are looking at the older era cars Scalextric produce several including the 1970 Falcon and the Torana. Also later 1980's Falcons . The previous 2000+ cars are now hard to get. 

If you are looking at 1/32 however Pattos have a good range of models and decals. The 1/32 Slotworx was based on Slot-it HRS chassis so you could use the same.

Might also depend on whether you want to race magnet or non-magnet. The Scaly cars are good on magnet but require work to race non-magnet.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

I think the easiest cars to pick up will be the Scalextric XB, XC, XW and XY Falcons and L34 and A9X Torana’s. There are two Bathurst winners released recently there and you could pick up some others to strip and repaint. 

Any of the retailers sell them and what might be out of stock in a slotcar retailer might be available in a hobby shop. 

If you want Supercars you may be best to look around for Scalextric ones to repaint. England released some with generic liveries that I have been able to find on line a few years ago pretty cheap.

Glad to see another new member and you building a track for the grand kids. I had my grand son on mine for the first time over Christmas and he had fun. Had to turn the power down but at nearly 4 he has some way to go. 

• Like 1