lenny broke

2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Car Builds

I thought I'd start a thread to show of the builds for this year Tasman Cup proxy. Please feel free to add your cars to this thread and show off what we are all doing for this year series.

I'll start off with my Ferrari 158. The chassis is a variant of the Brokespeed Skate design. It was started for last years series but not completed when it was decided not to run the series in 2020. After the series cancellation it sat on the bench waiting to be finished but was pushed to one side to make way for other more needed projects.

Body is a Tassie resin Ferrari 158, Motor will be a SRP speed18 with Slot It gearing wheels are RS slot with BRM classic hard front tyres  Rears are MJK ninco classicc but this may change before the start of the series.

IMG-6175.jpg

IMG-6176.jpg

• Like 1

ZxcAuc.jpgO4rzvd.jpgCar 19 will be the same as entered in 2019 . 1962 Lotus 24 Climax .

Body from PPL ,wheels PPS , rear tyres MJK , gears Slot it 9:23 , guide Slot it , Chassis by PeterD . Motor SRP18 .

Edited by pmdaniels
  • Like 2

PeterD

Mike F's car is now complete.

I have given him the car and specs, so he can sent onto you.

Before RcLXTs.jpg

and after hhFDx2.jpg

Ok progress pix... chassis and body as it currently stands..

001-chassis-build-mail.jpg

002-body-build-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco

Car 15 will be a BRM P261 body by Supershells , PCS wheels , front tyre PCS , rear tyres MJK , motor is SRP16 , Slotit gears 10/24 , Slotit guide ,Chassis by PeterD .3B625R.jpgKlmcnn.jpg

PeterD

Hi Lenny and all.

A bit late despite promises to myself mainly but finally started re-building and testing my old Brabham BT3 yesterday. Had previously pulled car apart, cleaned up rear hubs and glued on new PG21083 tyres, pulled a new SRP16 out of parts box and bought a couple of SRP18 motors to try. Sanded new tyres and gave a run yesterday with old motor to set benchmark. Best lap on my new test track (not had my own track previously except Scaly). Best lap 3.841sec. with 3x10 lap tests all providing 3.94sec. average so pretty consistent. Car did tend to tip rather than slide if I pushed too hard but you have to start somewhere. This could be a concern for Aussie tracks though as surfaces tend to be more grippy.

Also tried my old Brabham wheels/tyres from 4 years back - BWA/Dart. After a re-sand they are a bit loose. Did not have track fully set up so no times but would be definitely slower than

This morning got SRP 16 ready to test so that will be my job this afternoon with PG tyres. I seem to recall Phil K saying how to revive urethane tyres but cannot remember so will put aside at present. They are correctly mounted on 13mm wheels however so would like to use if I can.

More to come. Excuse long message but some may find it interesting. At this stage I will put aside possible re-paint and tidy up as car performance more important.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi Lenny and all.

Have my Brabham running with new SRP16000 after a bit of trouble getting gears right. Now I know why the pinion on the old motor was so worn. Have retained 10:23 gearing at moment but I do notice this is different to many others. Either 9:23 or 10:24 in the main. I thought I had 9:23 originally but that was sometime ago. Will track test again tonight. May still try the SRP18000 but previous evidence was that there was little difference. We will see. Think I went to 10:23 as some of the Aussie tracks are quite long but was reported as slow down straights.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Lenny and all.

Not sure whether anyone is reading this but I had my trial tonight with new SRP16000 motor in BT3. Perhaps it was the night air ,although still fairly warm, but I could not get closer than 0.2secs to my time with old motor. In desperation I tried my old VRAA Cooper T60 complete with its BWA motor plus my even older Lotus 18 with SRP16000. Bruce and Stirling would have been happy to be on the track again. To my surprise the Cooper was as fast as the Brabham and the rather clunky Lotus was only 0.1 slower. I will try again in  the morning  as soon as it heats up but the old motor is looking fairly good although it had appeared to be getting slower. every year. Will also prepare SRP18000 for testing.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx). 

Hi all.

The Bruce and Denny show is on the road to Adelaide, South Aus. at last from NZ. Only a day late so hopefully 3 weeks will be enough for it to get there in time. Cannot add photos myself so am sending to Lenny. Decided in end to install new SRP 18000 motor although there seemed to be little difference between old/new SRP 16000's and 18000 as people have reported before. Concentrated on on getting them driving nicely so here is hoping. My track is probably nothing like Aussie ones so there seemed little point in the end.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

T-53 Cooper #6 is still timing it out before clear coating the Molotow chrome with Future clear floor polish.

I should have it padded up, packaged and registered mail early next week from Melbourne... should make Spitfire Towers in plenty of time for arrival deadline in the Marshall's Paddock....

It might need a run or two on a club track to make sure nothing is going to fall off during the series..... it has had a little bit of work around a very small Scalextric Sport assembled track - seems to go ok, so far - every piece that "was" on it.. still "is"... will arrive in pristine condition.. even the driver's face is still clean - never been in competition... 

Final pix..

001-Cooper-2-final-mail.jpg

002-Cooper-final-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco

#10 Cooper T79 is ready to go Express Post from the Gold Coast tomorrow. 

Looking at the specs of the other cars, I think it will be way under-geared....but, at least, it should have a bit of acceleration and ok brakes. It'll just get left in the dust on most straights. So be it.

Specs:

• Body brand: Tassie Resins
  • Chassis brand: Peter G
  • Motor brand: Tassie 1790
  • Guide brand: TSRF (with Al Penrose-spec modification)
  • Pinion brand: Peter G imports
  • Crown wheel brand:SlotIt
  • Gear ratio: 7/24
  • Rear tyre brand: Paul Gage
  • Rear wheel brand: BWA
  • Front wheel brand: BWA

Haven't figured out how to add a photo.

Now I just need to find the address for posting........

Cheers, Peter

Thanks for putting my photos up Lenny. Hopefully they will be joined by actual cars soon. It is just over a month since posted so surely AUS Post can produce soon. Will go to Postshop tomorrow  to see if I can find tracking number. As stated I forgot to ask for my copy of same so hopefully they can help. Looking forward to start of competition.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx).

Hi Pete, I replied to your PM with address details.

Hi Chas, I'l also go round  to a couple of my local PO's and see if they have gone there. I haven't seen delivery note but you never know with the postal services these days.

Cheers Alan

Thank you Alan. I will let you know how I get on at my end. It has now been 1 month and 3 days. Regards Charles Le Breton

Hi Alan. Received some mixed messages from NZ Post but finally got sorted. They have opened a case but said to ring again if not received by end of week. Apart from that they said parcels to South Australia can take up to six weeks which is news to me. They never told me that or I would have sent by courier. They were adamant they would arrive. Here is hoping.  

The problem is the South Aussies sometime mistake the courier pigeons for crows and eat them before the parcels arrive...;)

Thanks Shaynus.

Hopefully pigeon dropped parcel somewhere handy so it can still be delivered. Plastic bag, resin, piano wire and brass would not be good for his/her digestion.

Will certainly more careful when I send Touring Car to Sports Racer.

Have not had this problem before but covid may be part of problem.

Edited by charlesx

Hi Chas.

I went to my 2 nearest post office's where they usually send them if I'm not home to receive. Neither have seen a parcel to my address from unzud.

Hopefully we'll see something before long

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Lenny. Me too. NZ Post have said to ring again if not received by the end of the week. C Le B