Uniroyal lemans 66

Alexis68

In going through my Dads gear over this last few weeks I've discovered a trophy from '66 that is showing as having been awarded to Team Scott of Road Runners and is for The Uniroyal Lemans race, does anyone know more about this particular event? I'd love to know more about it like where it was held and what sort of race or meeting it was, I've taken pictures ofvthe trophy but csnt work out how to share them here 

Regards 

Alexis 

Hi Alexis. I mentioned Dave Trengove in my previous post. His father Ian, was at UniRoyal/ SA Rubber Mills which became Bridgestone. He would have played a part in organising this sponsorship. He also made a batch of slot car tyres based on Cox sizes. He also arranged sponsorship of Ken Virgin's VW drag and competition VW. It ran at Brookesfield Drags. For some events at the RoadRunner rooms, he had Ken Virgins VW bonnet on display.  Ian's wife's VW used to pull 80mph in 3rd gear after Ken had breathed some of his Benson and Hedges tainted fumes over it !!  Great memories of great times !!! Regards Pete S.

Smeetsie

Great additions to the story and maybe theres a connection to this story with the Uniroyal tyre ashtrays also found in dads shed, As for ken Virgin, his son Glen did his apprenticeship at Gmh with Dads brother Graham and they were life long friends until Glens passing last year, I had spent a few afternoons going over Glens quite amazing model aircraft engine and model car collection only a few months before, he was also a great friend of motorcycle guru Jerry Kooistra who gave me the unfinished Piper Cub project I finished last year, which only happened then because Glen gave me a kick in the pants and said when are you going to get it done, and so that day I came home and got into it after it had sat waiting for me for a few years heres a link to its second flight