rosco01

Airbrush spray booth

Hi folk,

spent most of yesterday making up a little booth to airbrush models in..... out of plywood and some pine framework...

It has long been a concern of mine that some of the chemicals I use are probably not good for me, although after some 55 years - and using some of the most harshest of these when a kid... .like model aeroplane dope... in a bedroom with the door and windows closed - it's surprising I'm still here.... 

However - with failing eyesight, I find that I need plenty of light when airbrushing now - to get satisfactory results.... and I came up with an idea which would lend itself to serve both purposes... lighting and also to vent away the chemicals when airbrushing.... 

I bought three very bright LED house downlights.. and cut holes in the top and both sides of my booth to fit them..... the results are quite pleasing... lights up the area like the Blackpool illuminations.. very easy to follow a "wet edge" as you apply paint to a model... 

I cut a hole in the upper rear as well.. and will fit a small computer ball bearing fan (on order)... I'll make up a voltage regulator circuit so that I can control the speed of the fan... enough to vent the fumes, but not enough to draw dust in from the front of the booth - or to draw the fan of paint away.... 

Some pix.... 

This is the booth, with a model on a wire frame for size comparison.... you can see the three fitted LED's in this pic.

I am currently in the process of refurbing my oldest models... purchased in June of 1970 when I started work at age 15... both Scalextric - a Ferrari P4 and a Lamborghini Muira (C16 and C17).

I intend to post a refurb report on these models... with white metal gearboxes.... they are both now great runners.. with original motors in them.. but I have done quite a bit of work to get them to run.... report later....

Booth.....

001-booth-mail.jpg

This one gives a pretty good indication of the light within the booth.... the pic was taken in this room of mine, with the light on.... clearly, the room light is no match for that of the booth...

002-booth-mail.jpg

And finally - looking inside the booth.... not quite needing sunglasses - but certainly enough light to follow the wet edge around a model when air-brushing...

003-booth-mail.jpg

I chose to paint the booth using acrylic house primer/sealer... it is non-gloss and avoids a lot of reflection on the model.... easy to clean and should not attract dust.

I have fitted my airbrush holder on the right of the booth... not shown in these pix...

Hope this gives folk some ideas....

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

how long before the lights get painted over do you reckon.

Bloody nice job though.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Hi Grant... they will get cleaned whilst cleaning up the airbrush etc..... 

Hopefully, the fan at rear will extract any spurious paint mist away from the lights...... and model.... 

Airborne paint particles can settle down on an otherwise good paint job.... more so in an enclosure... so, the fan will hopefully rectify a lot of this.

Getting fan speed right will be the challenge - hence the controllable voltage regulator I will build to run it.... the full 12v will be way too much - and probably result in more crud getting sucked in over the front of a job than would be without such a setup... 

I created a dual fan arrangement for the absorption fridge in the caravan... as an extraction unit - this is where my "idea" for a spray booth came from.

I fitted two such fan units in series - and they run fairly sedately... too much air and the evaporator fins simply don't get cooled.... the air is extracted away from them.... slow the fans down, and the entire cabinet is vented... so, with this in mind - and the fresh paint vulnerable to attack from intake - I'll mess around a bit with fan speed.... 

I positioned the fan intake high up in the chamber.... where mist is likely to "cloud"... this should allow relatively low impact on a model low down in the booth.....

I could fit two such fans in series - as in the van fridge rear compartment... but I believe the volume of extraction would be too high... so, I am aiming at just removing what is necessary - rather than effecting a "fan forced" extraction system.... 

Further - I made the booth large enough so that I could move my hands, airbrush and model around in it without being cramped.... or for larger projects..... as you are very well aware - I am besotted with many differing hobbies... each of them lending these little accessories to each other.....

let you know how it goes and further developments once I put it to use.... so far, happy with the lighting components...

This is the plan - yet to be put to use... still waiting on fans to arrive.... 

frats,

Rosco