Vinno

Scalextric A9X Torana Brock Richards Bathurst 1979

It has been nice to see another new model Australian Slotcar and one from such a classic era. I think any Aussie would be happy to see this car released whether you are a Ford or Holden Fan. I am a Ford fan but this model is so well scaled it just looks right and brings back those memories of Brock going for that fastest lap on the last lap of the race all those years ago. At the time I was saddened that Ford had nothing but looking back now I am happy to be able to recreate those grids.

The first thing that caught my eye with this car were the wheels which look perfect. Missing are the Marlboro sponsor decals but these are available from Patto's Place or if you are lucky enough to use Armchair Racer as your supplier they were offered in either Watersilde or Peal and Stick as a no cost offer. 

My only complaint of the model is the front bumper is not sitting straight and is pointing in an upward position which seems to be the norm as both my cars are the same and so it seems are all the others.

Scalextric A9X Brock Rich4.jpg

The famous drop tank is on display with that huge rub it in your face Ford fans Holden decal. The car also displays an interior but not the full interior of the previous L34 4 door model. Instead the interior is a 3/4 interior which for the racers means no grinding away the bottom of the bottom of the interior to get body float. Scalextric seem to be thinking of the racer a lot more with their later cars with simpler interiors that allow easy setup for non magnet racing.

Scalextric A9X Brock Rich2.jpg

The well reverse cowl hood scoop shows is spot on and looks great on the bonnet and the drivers side rear view mirror looks pretty much as it was on the 1 to 1 car.

Scalextric A9X Brock Rich3.jpg

The chassis is different to the 4 door L34 version and is about 1mm lower overall which allows non magnet racers the ability to get that weight down lower to the track which was a problem with the first version.

1790390791_ScalextricA9XBrockRich6.jpg.a283c67ae4bb97c77bff298e04aaf3e6.jpg

A quick measure up sees the A9X version at 57.5mm across the rear flares while the L34 version is 55.5mm. The rear track of the A9X is 55.5mm which is 2.5mm more than the L34 version and it does make a difference. I am running on a combo of Fleischman and Policar plastic track and the car is very forgiving to drive. I did run it around on some MJK tyres for the Torana but the plastic track makes the standard tyres more fun with some nice smooth drift. I can't tell you if it is as fast as a well tuned Falcon and realistically it probably isn't. But with some tuning it is mush closer than the 4 door L34 version was and the lower chassis helps get that centre of gravity down.1937920788_ScalextricA9XBrockRich8.jpg.8ddc271a6ad642c979be5bbdfe488667.jpg846240877_ScalextricA9XBrockRich9.jpg.310805a2fdb6cd2f7803587ebc2fdc46.jpg

The last few pictures are with the decals added and it really makes the car. I am very happy to add this one to the Bathurst collection and have some fun setting it up as classic Aussie cars are few and far between in general. Thanks Scalextric for listening to us all those t=years ago we do appreciate what you are doing for us. And if you can just look at minor quality control you will make everyone happy.

If I could add one request it would be to tone down the motor a touch and make it closer to the good old Mabuchi so we are racing cars with similar power. I have changed mine for a SRP 18K slimline but it is my last one. It just makes it so much closer in power to the Falcon it is to compete with.

Scalextric A9X Brock Rich10.jpg

• Like 4

A few of the Canberra guys have their L34's lapping as fast as a well setup Falcon. Heaven help us if they turn their hands to the A9X.

May the downforce be with you.

3 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

A few of the Canberra guys have their L34's lapping as fast as a well setup Falcon. Heaven help us if they turn their hands to the A9X.

I just ordered one, let's see what I can do with it ;)

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

12 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

It’s 2.5mm so not a huge amount but there is also some meat in the guards that can come off. That and aluminium rear wheels and drill blank axle and you might get another 1 to 1.5mm as well. If only the motors were all closer in performance. 

Maybe these are similar to 18k SRP motors - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MABUCHI-FF-050SK-11170-Micro-Motor-DC-9V-12V-17500RPM-for-Car-AV-CD-Player/262360539801?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, I'm guessing these puppies have a 5mm centre rib on the hubs so Supergrips will be all the go too.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

12 hours ago, Wobble said:

Maybe these are similar to 18k SRP motors - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MABUCHI-FF-050SK-11170-Micro-Motor-DC-9V-12V-17500RPM-for-Car-AV-CD-Player/262360539801?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, I'm guessing these puppies have a 5mm centre rib on the hubs so Supergrips will be all the go too.

They look promising I might buy 10 and see how they go. Cheap enough. 

I have just purchased two of these A9-X's.... hopefully, I'll be able to kit-bash and change the livery for the second year's running... 

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

Welcome back Rosco, might pay to wait and see what Scalextric make next year, you might be able to buy that livery.

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life, it's just too intelligent to come here."  Arthur C. Clarke

Social Media - The Internets sewer

Thanks M P - I could easily be tempted to purchase any second version of this model.... 

If so, then I will keep one of the A9-X's as a collector's item.. and work the second one up to be a strong performer... the A9-X was indeed a weapon in its day... everything that the L-34 proved not to be...

Thanks for the welcome back - so many things to do, so few years left.... 

frats,

Rosco

Yes, Shaynus - apparently all of these A9-X's are the same... I note Armchair have stock of another livery version - just about guaranteed that the bumper is aimed at koala's on that one too... 

My guess is that it's a tooling issue - the bumper tang slots are more than likely set at the same angle as the headlight shrouds... and the bumper presses in at that angle - and not horizontal.. that's my guess.

Will post up a report on fixing the second A9-X - but only it, and the Marlboro decals are going to be done on that one - it will be kept as a collector's item.... this current one will "race"... doing lots of work on it at present... Not in love with the long shafted tiny motor in it - I'm looking at fitting a Flat 6... can't have the LJ going harder than an A9-X - can I?

frats,

Rosco

On 11/6/2020 at 6:37 AM, Wobble said:

9.Notice: The motors have been used before,but the performance is also good.

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I bedded the motor in yesterday on the bench, Phil..... bit concerned it would be too small for this model.... 

On first start up - it took 1.5v to turn the rear axle... after three hours of bedding it in... it now only takes 0.5v before the axle will turn.. and it does this without hesitation in running....

These motors might just be ok - won't know until I get the model on the track - progress report on my A9-X thread coming later today..... looking very good as a fine performer at this point in time... 

And yes, I have a "slab" of those motors... bought them when I began to scratch build for the Tasman Proxy series.... small, but very pleased with the power output to weight...... 

frats,

Rosco

I just spent the weekend working on mine, first thing that I had to do was true the wheels, one of the rears was terrible.

Next the tyres, I fitted MJK rears and zero grips to the front.

After trimming the chassis for float, I gave it a few laps, not too bad but needs ballast.

Now for the lead ballast, there is plenty of room to add as much as you need. I put about 10gr down each side and 5 right at the back.

Now I have it lapping at the times of the rest of my aussie muscle cars, but I think there is more left in it.

Next I am going to start to take weight out of the body, there is a lot that can come out without too much trouble.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Well done, Andrew....

Yes, there's plenty of "fat" in the body which can come out.... especially the interior... it's bulky.

An alternative option would be to find a generic thin clear interior to suit... and add the Scalextric roll cage.

Have you tried running the model without any interior?... this would give you a bit of a guide as to improving times..... it's a big, heavy and "fat" interior that is fitted to this model... 

For anything that you do take out of the interior - you can add as ballast down low and out as far as "float" will allow it to be added.... 

Which MJK tyres did you get?..... I haven't looked yet, because I expected that MJK would not have released them yet... unless it's a duplication from some other model...

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
append

10 hours ago, rosco01 said:

Well done, Andrew....

Yes, there's plenty of "fat" in the body which can come out.... especially the interior... it's bulky.

An alternative option would be to find a generic thin clear interior to suit... and add the Scalextric roll cage.

Have you tried running the model without any interior?... this would give you a bit of a guide as to improving times..... it's a big, heavy and "fat" interior that is fitted to this model... 

For anything that you do take out of the interior - you can add as ballast down low and out as far as "float" will allow it to be added.... 

Which MJK tyres did you get?..... I haven't looked yet, because I expected that MJK would not have released them yet... unless it's a duplication from some other model...

frats,

Rosco

Rosco the MJK L34 tyres seem a good fit, I did give mine a run with some but took them off again to enjoy some sliding. I will end up putting the MJK’s back on I think as the standard Falcon tyres trued are just too grippy so I need to even the cars up at some stage.