Sign in to follow this  
Shaynus

SCX Pro motor pod

Hi all

Has anyone designed/measured/modelled a motor pod from a SCX pro car that they would like to share? The one I'm chasing is from a Nascar, if that makes a difference wAVB8HF.jpg

I've been asked if I could try printing one, but I thought I would see if anyone has done one previously before "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.

Cheers

Hi Shayne,....all the "Pro" motor pods are the same................why are you trying to print one ??......can't find originals/spares ??, trying to improve on it ??, and, what would you do to improve it ??

It is quite a good pod as is.....a stiff back end,.. it has motor screw holes in the bracket, and it will accept either spherical or single flanged bushings.

Just curious......

Cheers

Chris Walker

Edited by Chrisguyw

4 hours ago, Chrisguyw said:

Hi Shayne,....all the "Pro" motor pods are the same................why are you trying to print one ??......can't find originals/spares ??, trying to improve on it ??, and, what would you do to improve it ??

It is quite a good pod as is.....a stiff back end,.. it has motor screw holes in the bracket, and it will accept either spherical or single flanged bushings.

Just curious......

Cheers

Chris Walker

Hi Chris

As it turns out I think the guy who asked me was under the impression that they were quite rare / expensive, but in the meantime I found some easily and they are reasonably priced, so I don't think it's worth bothering with because as you said, they seem like a good design.

Sorry for the false alarm everyone! ;)

9 hours ago, Shaynus said:

Hi Chris

As it turns out I think the guy who asked me was under the impression that they were quite rare / expensive, but in the meantime I found some easily and they are reasonably priced, so I don't think it's worth bothering with because as you said, they seem like a good design.

Sorry for the false alarm everyone! ;)

Hi Shaynus and Chris

First up, may I ask (1) whether those SCX Pro motor pods fit straight into the NASCAR chassis, and (2) what motor fits into them? If it accommodates the standard long can motor such as a Slot.It Flat6 or Sideways Baby Raptor then I'm sure that quite a few people down here in Tassie would be interested in getting hold of some in order to replace the aging RX motors in their old SCX NASCARs.

I'd also be interested , Shaynus, in where you 'found some easily' as I've only found one place in Australia that advertised them and unfortunately they haven't responded to either of two emails sent within the last 10 days.

Cheers,

Den

G'day Den.

As far as I can make out the SCX Pro motor pods only fit in (some of?) the SCX Pro cars, not the regular SCX models. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks Shaynus

I've never owned an SCX Pro car so I'll take your advice regarding the Pro pods. I suppose I was expecting a bit too much in thinking that there might be an easy answer!

Even in the 'normal' SCX cars there seem to be different pods for the RK series and RX series motors. One has 2 snap-in front mounting posts for the pod, the other just single mounting points both front and rear that allow a 'rocking suspension movement'. And the motors are of different heights.

I've been able to re-engine a Seat Cupra GT with a can-drive SRP short can motor and motor adapter to hold it in place. That car uses the the rocking type of pod.

Den

The RK rocking type pod will take a FK-180 (long can) with a little bit of modification to the front mount to allow for the terminals and this pod will fit in cars with a RX-41/42/B type pod. I fitted a NC2 almost straight into my 'Cuda with an RK pod and a fit of filing of the plastic.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

11 hours ago, big den said:

Hi Shaynus and Chris

First up, may I ask (1) whether those SCX Pro motor pods fit straight into the NASCAR chassis, and (2) what motor fits into them? If it accommodates the standard long can motor such as a Slot.It Flat6 or Sideways Baby Raptor then I'm sure that quite a few people down here in Tassie would be interested in getting hold of some in order to replace the aging RX motors in their old SCX NASCARs.

I'd also be interested , Shaynus, in where you 'found some easily' as I've only found one place in Australia that advertised them and unfortunately they haven't responded to either of two emails sent within the last 10 days.

Cheers,

Den

Hi Den,

The SCX "Pro" pod only  fits the SCX "Pro" cars, of which there were only a few....... 2 COT Nascars (Ford and Chevy)  an Audi R8 , a Porsche 911 GT3, and a 4 wheel drive Citroen Xsara rally car.

These cars were not sold in sets, and came in kit form in a Box, clearly marked "Pro".......not your run of the mill SCX !!

I have both the Audi and the 911 (sorry not a Nascar fan), and with some sorting, they are more than potent cars,....no comparison to any other SCX. If you can find one, I would certainly recommend.

The motor pod will accept any can drive FC130,  FK180., or Flat6 , using 2mm motor screws (you will obviously need to use the top holes on the Flat 6 can due to its lower profile)  ... The bracket is rigid enough that adapters are completely unnecessary,....2mm motor screws and you are good to go.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Edited by Chrisguyw

Thanks for the clarification  Chris.

We Tasmanians tucked away at the bottom of Australia don't always have access to the equipment and information that's available to you folks in the US and Canada.The only time I'd ever heard of SCX Pro was on those limited occasions when an item was offered for sale on eBay.

But my interest was aroused when Shaynus asked if anyone was making pods to suit an SCX chassis. The group that I race with in the south of Tasmania races SCX Nascars as one of its regular classes (a 7-race series every couple of years)  and one of the organisers had mentioned that a change of motor might be on the cards due to the condition of the RX motors we've been using for many years.

Den

Give me a break Phil!

Your cupboard is like Dr. Who's TARDIS, or perhaps "Space, The Final Frontier"?

There are places in it that no man has ever been before.

I would have to build a 1:32 scale Starship Enterprise and travel at Warp Speed to see it all.

Den.

• Like 1