lenny broke

2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Race Series Rules & Regs

Good rule change  Lenny/Alan.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic but this was brought about by your initial comment.

For Roscoe's benefit I have never been and never will be a rivet counter. I do not have the skills. Yes as a long time retiree (12 years) I have plenty of time for slot cars and several other hobbies and volunteer duties but that should not disable me from input to our great sport. As a 60year plus slottie is that too much to ask.

Thanks Stubbo for your contribution too. Could not agree more.

I have no problem with people using commercial lazer cut or pressed metal chassis kits. They are certainly a good start and capable of enhancement if the builder so wishes. Agree entirely we need to encourage newcomers.

Regards and all the best to all slotties. Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Chas, appreciate exactly where you are with our shared hobby - I would certainly not suggest that I am a rivet counter, I do like a bit of detail - but we must appreciate, slot cars are just that.... meant to be run, and not showcased - there are other factions in modeling more suited to the number of screws around headlights, etc... 

I do like to add detail, to me it brings life into a model.. but never to the extent that it will ever be subjected to someone visually scouring every detail to find error in scale.. I can live quite easily without that.

I too, have been retired for a similar time - and my first slot car was purchased at around age 12.... nearly some 55 years back now - a journey I have enjoyed almost all of my life.

I digress terribly from the subject of this thread - but believe reply warranted to your post..... 

Looking forward to sharing the series with you Chas - and finally getting view of the competing models. Mine won't result in anywhere near the detail that I put into my previous entries..... but, I'm hoping it will yet be another model I will enjoy owning....

Apologies to the OP for digression...

frats,

Rosco

Thanks Roscoe. Think we are both in the same space and probably spend a lot of time encouraging newcomers. I know I do. Spent most of afternoon fixing newcomers car.

I did not start as early as you.(14-15) but my little brother was only 9.

Will probably just enter same car Brabham BT3-4 but will install new motor (probably another SRP16000) and need to re-build front of chassis as I used commercial front wheel mount so it is not currently eligible for the Late FPR John's award.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Alan: I know there has been no problem in the past with the laser chassis, but any changes often bring questions, so easier to sort now and clarify the rules now.

Especially for newbies to Slot Racing like Charles and Rossco!

I got my first set for Christmas ‘61, and have been involved in Proxy Racing for 20 years!

Starting to feel old!

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Hmm interesting been using the beardog chassis kit for a few years in this proxy, and does seem odd for it to be questioned now, would love to build my own chassis but skill set is not good enough , putting the bloody kit together and modifying it was hard enough, and adding detail especially this year as i have entered two cars with the beardog chassis, presume Charles will let me :ph34r:

Hi Peter. I have no problem with either of the commercial kits mentioned but would prefer after a couple of TC proxies entrants at least attempt a complete build. My skills are probably no better than yours Peter. Sounds like the Beardog kit might even be more difficult. Suggest next year you have a go. You can still revert to the Beardog if you have to. We do not want anybody to miss out. By the way I only launched into my original query as I thought it Lenny,s ruling affected my entry.

Regards Chas Le Breton

PS. Phil I am probably as young as you  (75 on 4/12) but you are only as old as you feel. Sometimes about 55 but other times closer to 80. Hopefully always young at heart.

OK , I'm ready to put all this to bed and get on with having good series.

Here's what I believe is the intent of the chassis rule..... The main chassis should not be visible when viewed from above. Axle tubes are allowed as well as any  suspension detail that would normally be visible on the full sized car, ie: wishbones, rocker arms, trailing arms, sway bars, coil spring and shock absorbers, whether they are attached to the main chassis or not.

That is how I will be interpreting it when it comes to scrutineering the cars.

I believe this series was never meant to be exclusively  a scratch-built only series when it was conceived by Stubbo back in 2011. The idea was to be able to race a class of car from a certain era, that is rarely raced in a club environment, whether it be a scratch-built, from a kit or a ready to run car even if  it was built by the entrant or not. This concept has allowed the experienced builder/ racer, novices or people who don't necessarily have the skills and others who may have otherwise been put off to participate.

Anyway that's my rant over

now get on with your builds!!!!!!

Cheers, Alan

Ahem, Alan.... have we seen any builds yet?

Mine is still in my head... 

frats,

Rosco

21 minutes ago, rosco01 said:

Ahem, Alan.... have we seen any builds yet?

Mine is still in my head... 

frats,

Rosco

Yeah, there's a thread here on the subject. 2021 Tasman Builds Only two at the moment but will get more in there soon I hope.

Thanks Alan,

locked into that thread now..... getting an urge to make a start.... 

Won't go into the long and drawn out blow by blow account with this build - short and sweet.

frats,

Rosco