lenny broke

2021 Tasman Cup Proxy Race Series Rules & Regs

Attention Charlesx

Hi Chas,

I tried to send you a PM this morning but I got a message saying you can't receive messages.

cheers Alan

I cannot see that anyone has answered Peters question from October about T51 Cooper Maserati.

That car would not be eligible as it is an GP Cooper Maserati from earlier era.

The only 2.5 cars are those from Tasman Series in 1964 and 1965, by that time the T51 Mildren Cooper Maserati had had the motor removed and put into the Renmax.

The only T51 running were older cars with FFP motors.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

On 12/27/2020 at 2:19 PM, kalbfellp said:

Peter G Posted:

Can I get # 10 please?

Or (2nd question) is any T51 Cooper eligible? I see that a T51-Climax was entered in both '64 and '65. I might like to enter the T51 shown in my avatar (it's a T51-Maserati). In that case I would ask for # 17.

Cheers,

Peter

Kalbfell P replied:

I cannot see that anyone has answered Peters question from October about T51 Cooper Maserati.

That car would not be eligible as it is an GP Cooper Maserati from earlier era.

The only 2.5 cars are those from Tasman Series in 1964 and 1965, by that time the T51 Mildren Cooper Maserati had had the motor removed and put into the Renmax.

The only T51 running were older cars with FFP motors.

First of all my apologies for not seeing and responding to peterG's question before now. I haven't been devoting enough time to the Tasman proxy series as i should have been before now. Other outside interests have taken my focus away from the series I'm afraid.

Though Phil is correct in what he says,in that the Cooper T51 had raced in the series listed in the rules though not with the Maserati motor. taking that into consideration I think the car is close enough and fits the spirit and intention of the rules. If it had been a model that had not ever raced in the time period it would be a different matter. So I will allow the Cooper T53 Maserati in this year.

Cheers, Alan

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Hi Phil and Alan,

The T51 I am planning to model is actually a 2.89-litre Scuderia Centro Sud car which was bought and raced by Johnny Mansel in the NZ races of 1962 until his fatal crash at Dunedin. So it is pushing the definitions a bit too much I think. The photo in my avatar shows the car just before that crash.

I'm going to go with the T79 #10 from Longford (with the 13" wheels).

cheers,

Peter

6 hours ago, PeterG said:

Hi Phil and Alan,

The T51 I am planning to model is actually a 2.89-litre Scuderia Centro Sud car which was bought and raced by Johnny Mansel in the NZ races of 1962 until his fatal crash at Dunedin. So it is pushing the definitions a bit too much I think. The photo in my avatar shows the car just before that crash.

I'm going to go with the T79 #10 from Longford (with the 13" wheels).

cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, makes things a bit easier

Cheers, Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Hi Alan,

No worries. I’m not here to incite controversy.

By the way, no need to apologise for not replying. You had replied pretty much straight away by message.

Maybe sometime we could do a series encompassing the pre-Tasman summer series. It would have to be Formula LIBRE though. Free driveline but period-correct tire sizes. It’s not a great benefit to have a super powerful motor if you can’t get the power to the track. That’s what made those cars so great to watch. Oversteer and 4-wheel drifts (way before some Japanese adolescents began drifting.)

I would probably run an Archie Scott Brown Lister Jag! Or a 250F.  There really were some beautiful cars running around in the late ‘50s

cheers,

Peter

Edited by PeterG

Hi Alan,

I can muster up another 3 entrants if that's ok? 

I'd like to enter a second car and I can get Bunyip and Sainter to each enter a car.

Numbers

41  Bunyip.

56 Stubbo 2

66 Sainter

If others want to enter we are ok to make way for them.

Let me know if it is all OK.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Stubbings

On 12/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, terry said:

looking good for a full(ish) grid

Good stuff

Hi Terry,

Yes it is looking good, and here's another 3 to add to the list. I'm also hearing rumours of another two from here in SA

Edited by lenny broke

After a question being raised, please note the following amendment to the chassis rule regarding chassis

No part of the chassis should be visible when viewed from above, with the exception of an axle tube.(amended 6-1-21)

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan... I expect that axle tube also includes suspension etc.... the non-allowed componentry being the main frame or added weight/panels of the chassis.

frats,

Rosco

Hi Lenny.

I presume this does not include suspension details which could be attached to chassis. My Brabham BT 3/4 (cannot remember which) has suspension arms front, rear and bottom  (top ones and some hydraulic lines are attached to the body), steering arms, suspension springs and rest of hydraulic lines.

I appreciate my car is perhaps more  detailed than some but I certainly hope suspension detail rules are being upheld as I see this an essential part of building exercise.

Regards Chas Le Breton

2 hours ago, rosco01 said:

Thanks Alan... I expect that axle tube also includes suspension etc.... the non-allowed componentry being the main frame or added weight/panels of the chassis.

Hi Rosco,

yes that's correct. There will be a small allowance for open tailed bodied cars that may be difficult to hide those exposed bits. They should be painted matt black.

CharlesX said: "I appreciate my car is perhaps more  detailed than some but I certainly hope suspension detail rules are being upheld as I see this an essential part of building exercise. "

Hi Chaz,

Though always strongly encouraged, suspension detail has never been a requirement of the rules. However to be considered for judging for the John Smeadley Constructor's award, front and rear suspension detail will need to be included in the build. "To qualify the chassis must be hand built and include front and rear suspension detail."

I hope this clears up your questions, but as ever if you have any please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Alan

OK thanks Lenny/Alan. Perhaps I was getting mixed up with the old VRAA rules which were much stricter. As long as my detail does not negate eligibility. Not sure what is wrong with my message box and do not seem to be able to access at this end. The old members drop down appear to have disappeared. Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi Phil - Good point re commercial chassis but is that any different to soldering on the same thing. It is in my opinion still part of the chassis which is why I asked my  first question.

My recollection was to initially allow simpler/less detailed chassis or chassis kits to encourage new participants.

After first year or two however to expect a more sophisticated /more difficult design.

I have been entering this proxy for 6-7 years and each car I have built has had a bit more detail. I like to think others would do the same.

That's my view for what it is worth anyway. 

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Ok to appease the pedants among us I have further amended this chassis rule to read...."No part of the main chassis should be visible when viewed from above, with the exception of an axle tube or suspension detail replicating that of the original 1:1 scale model.(amended 11-01-2021)

I have to say I am somewhat bemused that after nearly a decade of this series' existence that this issue has come up now. Beardog chassis or similar that have suspension detail incorporated into the chassis have been entered many times before without being questioned.

Edited by lenny broke

Too much spare time on entrant's hands, Alan..... it should be put to better use modeling... 

My 2c

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

The original "Spirit of the rule" was that you shouldn't see any of the "chassis" when looking from above. What we meant by that was the things that you should not have seen when looking from above were,  the guide, the chassis rails, the motor and the crown (we did make an allowance for cars with the short rear). Suspension items etc. were not included. We also encouraged  effort in the driver/cockpit area so that the chassis and motor was not visible through the cockpit.

We always hoped to encourage participation by keeping it simple and not discourage people with "rivet counting".

• Like 1

Alan Stubbings