Sign in to follow this  
big den

Thunderslot McLaren M6A Donohue

Hello from Tasmania everyone.

Yesterday I took delivery of a Thunderslot McLaren M6A - the dark blue Sunoco car as driven in real life by Mark Donohue.

From the video reviews on Home Racing World I'd heard that there were concerns about the 'scale accuracy' of this model, but the reviews did not  compare it side by side with any other models to allow me to gauge those scale issues.

Sitting here on my table beside a Revo Slot Ferrari 333SP the McLaren looks absolutely tiny. I am not sure what the relative dimensions of the two cars were in 1:1 scale but if the McLaren is considered by some to be over-scale then the 333SP must have been a huge car in real life.

Although the Thunderslot McLaren is noticeably wider than the Revell Monogram version it does not look out of place when sitting beside the RM Surtees Lola T70 - same rear track of 60mm, same body width, slightly longer wheelbase.

I don't have any NSR cars but I do remember sitting my Scalextric BMW Z4 beside an NSR version and needing to be told what the NSR body was supposed to be, such was the difference in appearance. So I would like to place the Thunderslot McLaren M6A beside the NSR Porsche 908 to compare widths and wheelbases etc.

It' will be a week or two before I am able to evaluate the performance of the car but my initial concerns are (1) how little clearance there is beneath the back of the chassis and the track (even before tyre sanding) and (2) the hex screws that hold everything together require an Allen key  that is a different size to anything I have in my toolkit.

Den

Hi i did  a review of the M6a in the Cars section on here  in March 2019 last year and after running these cars for sometime have changed the back tyres to NSR Classics 20-5 x 10 and 21 x 10 to cure the problem of grounding fit the standard wheels fine , like you will need to do i bought a hex screwdriver for the body screws, scale wise it does seem a bit wider but overall looks ok and when run it you will have a very nippy slot car 

seeing as the Thunderslot owner was an ex NSR owner/partner,   its no surprise that the scale may not be quite right.  a few NSR cars were allegedly in that category as well. 

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

I clear my McLaren on my Scalextric track with the factory rear tires even after truing.  You will need a .050 Allen wrench or driver. It will also, work on future NSR purchases.  I can measure both the McLaren and NSR 908 tomorrow and report back.   

You will love the performance