Sign in to follow this  
Shaynus

V8supercar chassis

G'day All

Over what turns out to be a long period of time (I never seem to achieve things quickly) I have been slowly developing a chassis for the V8Supercar bodies. I came across a thread on Slotforum International where a gentleman from Qld, I think, made a chassis that had the guide holder designed to be able to have a bit of flex in it. I thought it seemed like a good idea, and so developed my own chassis with that incorporated into it. I haven't been able to find the thread again, so if anyone knows the guy please let me know so I can let him know what I've been doing.

The original idea was to have one chassis and use different adaptors to attached to different body styles.

MkII version shown here:

20200720-115630.jpg

20200720-115616.jpg

Under the test mule

20200720-132823.jpg

Adaptors installed to the body.

20200721-193031.jpg

This is the MkIII version under a Commodore. This one bolts to the front body points, and uses and adaptor at the rear

20200813-155032.jpg

Test Mule 2:

20200813-155023.jpg

The MkIII has holes in the bottom so weights can be attached. Also has small holes in the rear corners of the chassis where you can screw M2 grub screws in and use them to set the minimum ride height when they contact up against the rear adaptor

20200813-154550.jpg

The front axle height can be adjusted with M2 screws, and the chassis takes inline Slot.it type motor pods. I made it as narrow as possible around the rear axle to give the option of fitting wide wheels or to narrow the rear track and slam the body down low.

Cheers,

Shaynus

I've done a couple of test laps and it seems promising. Pretty smooth. I lent it out on one night I couldn't make it. One of the body front body mounts snapped off. That is my biggest problem printing at the moment, trying to get good layer adhesion.

Don't know if it is a problem with the printer, user or filament at the moment.  It has taken a lot of miss prints to get this far

nice work, chassis looks good and good idea to use an adapter to fit to the different body mounts. does the guide flex side to side?

Thanks Pepsi62. Yes, the design allows the guide to flex side to side slightly, making for a smooth drive - well, thats the idea anyway! I've only done a few test laps so far, but hoping to race it this weekend coming. I also used a similar design on my proxy car, so will be interested to see how it goes / lasts as it is all unproven at the moment.

Ended up finding the thread on Slotforum International, it was originally by a guy called racerunner.

Hope it goes well for you at your race meeting, good luck

The MG I sent to the touring car proxy also has a 3DP chassis I found on thingiverse and an inline 3DP pod from chappyman, also on thingiverse, seemed to work well testing here at home so we will also see how it goes in the proxy.

The Olifer supercar chassis work well as do the JS design pod version and they have a flexi as well. 

I have heard of Olifer and JS design chassis, but not seen them. No doubt they would be made to a much higher standard/ better quality than I have been able to produce! :)

On 8/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, Pepsi62 said:

Hope it goes well for you at your race meeting, good luck

The MG I sent to the touring car proxy also has a 3DP chassis I found on thingiverse and an inline 3DP pod from chappyman, also on thingiverse, seemed to work well testing here at home so we will also see how it goes in the proxy.

The Olifer supercar chassis work well as do the JS design pod version and they have a flexi as well. 

HI I FOUND THE MG AS WELL BUT WHEN IT PRINTED OUT IT WAS BAD

18 hours ago, sdeamon said:

HI I FOUND THE MG AS WELL BUT WHEN IT PRINTED OUT IT WAS BAD

I had a friend print 2 for me, they came out pretty good, did need a bit of a tidy up in places but overall they were good