New Toronto area Commercial Track/Shop

Chrisguyw

Likely not too many of the regulars here will ever see this in person, but, I thought I would post a couple of pics. of the work in process tracks that will be in Ernie Mosettis' soon to be open shop.

First a 135ft. 6 lane Policar track..............mainly for 1/32 plastic based cars.

IMG-5069.jpg

And yet to be painted/braided Ogilvie 135ft (ish) flat track.........this will be a spray glue track.

IMG-5063.jpg

Although not seen in the pics., there is plenty of room for pit tables, shop etc.

Cheers

Chris Walker

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Drifter said:

I wonder which is more cost effective at that size of layout, timber or plastic?

I would say timber for sure of you leave labour out of it and you do it yourself. MDF is quite cheap to buy and even a good size roll of braid and some paint does not add up to a huge amount when building a good size track. Of course a commercial size layout may end up costing similar if you pay for the build. And the drive is better on MDF.

Plastic is handy if you want to change layouts. 

16 hours ago, Shedbuilder said:

Looks like a fantastic project. I bet that Policar track cost a small fortune in track parts. 

I'd be interested to know what the plan is to address making sure the connections maintain power supply? 

Lots of power taps (every 10 sections), and a regulated variable voltage 50Amp power supply.

Cheers

Chris Walker

2 hours ago, Shedbuilder said:

Thanks Chris.

Will the track be fixed in position so the joins don't move or will track clips be used?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, ........as it is a commercial venue, it will invariably take some punishment, so it will be fixed in position.

This will be Ernie's 6th commercial shop, and I have no doubts that both tracks will be assembled/wired/powered/finished to a very high standard.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Hi Chris,

No doubt the track will be finished off very well. I'm just curious as to why a plastic track when Ernie obviously has the skills to build a wooden track. No doubt all that Policar track is more expensive than a routed wooden track. Is it for a different class of cars or for a different driving experience?

Cheers

Mark

7 hours ago, Shedbuilder said:

Hi Chris,

No doubt the track will be finished off very well. I'm just curious as to why a plastic track when Ernie obviously has the skills to build a wooden track. No doubt all that Policar track is more expensive than a routed wooden track. Is it for a different class of cars or for a different driving experience?

Cheers

Mark

Maybe being a shop he sells Policar sets and this is a good way to show what people can do and have a race track as well. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, Shedbuilder said:

Hi Chris,

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, Different tracks for different folks..........there are lots of folks who drop by with their kids, and want to use the cars they got for Xmas/Birthdays etc., and a track that works with their magnet cars is of benefit to them........as well , if one does sell plastic tracks, having a working example in store is not a bad idea. While it is certainly not a wood track in terms of pure performance, built and powered well (which it is) it is not a bad surface at all, and plastic is widely used in 1/32 and 1/24 racing in Europe and elsewhere. All round, it is certainly better than the other plastic alternatives.

As far as a wood track, there is one of those as well, it will be a spray glue track, for the metal chassis type cars,..........it was built by, Steve Olgilvie (builder of hundreds of commercial tracks), and while Ernie has many skills, he has never built a wood track :D

Excuse the bad pictures, but this is progress (slow) to date.

Cheers

Chris Walker

The Policar track needs a few more border bits, and a good clean, but, is essentially done.

DSCN4620.jpg

The Ogilvie wood track, has been painted (epoxy paint) and is currently being taped/braided.

DSCN4621.jpg