Sign in to follow this  
mrsteptoe

Club Racing Scrutineering

As one of the two club scrutineers for the last 3 years we were recipients of complaints from members unable or unwilling to read class rules, some of which have been in place for years.

This year I find myself the sole scrutineer and always one for the easy life so taken it upon myself to let members self scrutineer, tyre width, track width, magnetic downforce...I tend to step in on the odd occasion to post-race scrutineer.  We've been back racing for a month now and this week was the first time this year I had to step in to prevent a car entering an inline - only class as it was sidewinder.  This specific class has been inline for the 5 years I've raced slot cars but still felt guilty stepping in like that, the club member involved has been a member far longer than me so should know better.

We have an open motor policy, open tyre policy as long as it's not foam or silicone, allow tyre treatment as long as there's no residue left and a 25g magnetic downforce limit.

After we moved club premises late last year the weekly attendance waned somewhat, overly restrictive rules was one complaint, overly strict scrutineering was another, a perfect example being the 10mm tyre width limit being 'abused' with 10.1mm tyres.  This is a crazy situation so I let most cars enter with minimal checking (magnet check is the one I focus on).  If I think a car is overly competitive it gets a closer check but so far I've not had to do that.

If you have everything under control you're not trying hard enough

Our club race on wood, so magnetic downforce is not an issue. When we raced on plastic, we set magnetic downforce limits and used a magnet marshal.

We have a fairly easy to read set of rules, which are common layout for each class. Not perfect, but have served us well for several years.
We scrutineered a couple of new classes as we added them to the roster. Beyond that we work on trust. We know who the quick guys are, and we are not so concerned about results as to record them - sometimes we barely look at them.... 

Some classes we control tyre width and motor power, or set control motors, or models to be used. As new guys join, we school them up.
If anyone is unclear about something, we give them the basic explanation 
eg " a stock motor in an old scalextric F1 is the black stripe Mabuchi, commonly called the '18k'  motor. If your car came with an early Johnson motor, throw it away and hot glue a Mabuchi in place, they're faster."
We haven't had a hissy fit over following rules in so long, I can't remember when. 
But of course the guy who wins especially if it is a couple of guys get jossed about the group 12 motor or the "wood magnets" or their nerfing of everyone else etc. But all in jest.
We're more interested in the food, fun and friendship than the egos.

Rules examples below. We have a mix of classes. Some are glue and true with a higher quality car like a Slot.it, some are more builder focused like Scalextric Muscle cars.
This gives something for those that like to tinker, and something for those that just want minimal car tuning time to be able to race.

FLY Classics

Motor: Stock

Wheels: Open

Tyres: Open

Gears: Open

Axles: Open

Body: Stock.

Chassis: Stock.

Interior: Stock but can have base ground to allow body rock.

Remarks: Front axle height can be set or tubed. Motor can be braced to rear axle bushes.

Scalextric BTCC

Wheels: Stock

Gears: Stock

Axles: Stock

Body: Stock.

Chassis: Stock.

Interior: Stock.

Remarks: Lighting looms and holders can be removed. DPR box can be removed.

Classic Scalextric F1(1970s)

Wheels: Stock

Tyres: NSR or Slot It F1s

Gears: Stock

Axles: Stock

Body: Stock but can be lowered on chassis.

Chassis: Guide supports can be ground off to lower front end.

Remarks: Front axle height can be set or tubed. Motor can be braced to rear axle bushes.

Classic Sports '65 - '80

Motor: Open

Wheels: Open.

Chassis: Essentially stock when viewed from underneath. HRS chassis and donor chassis allowed.

Interior: Stock when viewed from above but base can be ground to reduce height.

Remarks: Front axle height can be set. Motor can be braced to rear axle bushes.

Classic Sports pre '65 - narrow bodies.

Motor: Open -16k maximum

Wheels: Open

Chassis: Essentially stock when viewed from underneath. HRS chassis and donor chassis allowed

Interior: Stock when viewed from above but base can be ground to reduce height.

Remarks: Front axle height can be set or tubed. Motor can be braced to rear axle bushes.

I run a group out in my shed on Tuesday evenings and don't usually scrutineer the cars for the weekly racing. The expectation is that you should make sure your cars comply with the rules but as we are not racing for sheep stations there will be a little bit of leeway. For weekly racing, occasionally I'll randomly select a couple of cars and check them over for compliance with the rules. This keeps the lads on their toes especially the "cheeky chappies"  who I might pick  out a bit more randomly than the others.We also run a couple of open trophy event through the year which I do scrutineer the cars, as they are usually more competitive affairs though they are mainly visual checks.

Edited by lenny broke

In the good old days scrutineering was a very fine art , if it looked ok it was ok chuckle.

• Like 1

I'm a scrutineer for one of the clubs in Canberra and the reason I got the job is I like to bend the rules (a lot). I think they voted me in because they figured why not make the worst culprit responsible for making sure no-one gets away with anything that I would (allegedly) do.

So far I haven't had to scrutineer any cars.

The system works great. 

Having said that, we're all pretty honest and we allow any club member to object if they think a car is too fast. 

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

While our local area clubs do have detailed and published rules by class of car, we do not have a formal scrutineering process before each race..........instead we randomly choose 3 cars to be seen (bodies off) at the end of the event. The 3 are determined before the start of the race, according to finishing positions, which change weekly, and, are, drawn  prior  to the race start.

This allows all "if interested" to have a quick peek, and ask questions...........this seems to keep everyone in order, and does help the newer/less experienced racers.

For larger more important races, a full scrutineering session is done before the meeting starts.

Cheers

Chris Walker

• Like 1