Bobets20

Newbies: Ideal track size

I’m a newbie when it comes to slot cars on a grand scale (ie bigger setups than my late 80s Carrera Le Mans Porsche vs Jaguar).

i have table 2.7m X 1.8m. I’m looking at going with scalextric arc pro gt to begin with (when it becomes available) And then expanding from there.

The recommended space required is approx. 4m by 1.5m but I figured I can make it fit with extra bends etc.

Is 2.7 x 1.8 too small an area for:

a) 1:32 cars?

b) 9m+ of track?

sorry if these are dumb questions. I’ve seen plenty of track designs that suggest it is realistic, however, I’d rather ask some of you knowledgeable folks for your opinions. I understand that a 4m+ straight would be nice.

Thanks everyone!!!!

mick

Hi Mick,

The only real things you need to consider is reachability (access) for deslotted cars to grab them and put them back in the slot. I suggest you start with the suggested track designs in the manual and go from there, this is really the only way to do it.

Once you lay out and connect the track you get some sense of the real size and room requirements. You might find the corners will be limited and extremely tight as well with that available space that you have, regarding those measurements, are they 2700 (L) x 1800 (W)?

You might also wish to visit: https://slotracer.online/category/track-plans/ and check out possible track plans for more inspiration

Johnno

Edited by Johnno

There is no such thing as an ideal track size, track size is only limited by the amount of track you have, the amount of room you have, the amount of room you are allowed to use and whatever makes you happy as you will be the one doing the most laps on it.

Edited by mtpanorama

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life, it's just too intelligent to come here."  Arthur C. Clarke

Social Media - The Internets sewer

Hi Bobets20. Agree entirely with Johnno it is essential all parts of track are accessible although a stick particularly with an arm or crabber on end can help. As your space is fairly wide compared to length a hole can be considered in middle but I would avoid if you can. It is a pain to climb under. Personally I would go for a longer narrow shape if you have room. Being able to access at least three sides is also helpful. If you stick to width named though I think you need on all sides. How tall you are and how far you can comfortably reach. Kids can always stand on a stool or box. Preferably build a cross-over into your layout to equalise lanes. Hope this is of some help.  Regards Chas Le Breton

As Charlesx mentioned about a hole in the middle could be handy and can be utilised as a marshalling point on your track, sort like a man hole similar to that in your house ceiling, once you are in there you stay there, you can also utilise this as a drivers station.

I've seen those grabbers in use and they do slow the racing down quite considerably and can be finicky to utilise, each to their own though.

Again, as Charlesx mentioned comes down to your height, which is very important with children if they will be utilising your track. I have seen some decent tracks with triple levels running along and around the walls which could be another possibility if you are after track length and something different.

When implementing cross-overs, bridges they do offer up in turn blind spots so keep this in mind when implementing these. As I mentioned, lay down the track loosely (don't connect together) then get an idea of what you have got, both track wise and space wise, kind of works.