Shenanigans Raceway

dictionary definition: mischievousness or high-spirited behaviour / secret manoeuvring

Well I think I have decided on a name for my track, this is a full Four Lane 1:24 scale modular MrTrax system with full timing system. Love the idea of infinitely expandable track by buying extra modules, unclip, move around, install and clip in new module. I can also take these modules to another track, e.g. yours, and combine all our modules into a mega track.. awesome idea I think.

MrTrax website and MrSlotcar website.

Highly recommend Peter Van Horssen and both his businesses Mrtrax.com and MrSlotcar.com. 200% professional business operator that provides exceptional products, service and after sales support. You can not go wrong.

I am a part of a small group of guys that race every Wednesday around the Taree, Old Bar and Forster area.

I am in Taree, NSW, 2430 on the Mid North Coast, my private home MrTrax track is named 'Shenanigans Raceway'

Shenanigans Raceway
definition:
  - silly or high-spirited behaviour; mischief.
  - secret or dishonest activity or manoeuvring. 

Australian Slot Car Group (ASCG) - all things Slot Cars
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/australianslotcars
MeWe: https://mewe.com/group/602df47a35036302d92ad592

NSW Slot Car Group (NSWSCG)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nswslotcargroup
MeWe: https://mewe.com/group/602df55d123eb774f9b52594 

slotracer.online Library
https://slotracer.online/library/index.html

slotracer.online Index of tracks and track plans
https://slotracer.online/library/tracks/index.html

The Complete Slot Racing Handbook
https://slotracer.online/manual/index.php

The ARC Pro Guide
https://slotracer.online/arc-pro-guide/index.html

#slotcarsforlife

Peter Van Horssen
mrtrax.com
mrslotcar.com

01-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-logo.png

Shenanigans Raceway Logo

02-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     03-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     04-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     05-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg

06-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     07-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-Collage.jpg     08-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     09-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg

10-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     11-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     12-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     13-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg

14-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     15-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     16-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     17-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg

18-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     19-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     25-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     

26-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg     27-Shenanigans-Raceway-SR.jpg

These last two images showing the special converter module that converts the Super Four Lane track into a Mega Two Lane track...

Edited by Johnno
added some current info
  • Upvote 1

I've made tentative arrangements for tomorrow afternoon to get it back up stairs as it might be another two or more months before it gets replaced :wacko: so might as well get into having some fun. 

Your all welcome

I've also recently ordered a TruSpeed MTII controller so will be good to get that and really get into things.

Hope are well out there. 

edit July 3: the track modules are all back upstairs with many appreciated thanks to Noel. Even changed things around to get another track design.

Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-track-2a.jpg      Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-track-2b.jpg 

Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-track-2c.jpg      Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-track-2d.jpg     Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-track-2e.jpg      Shenanigans-Raceway-SR-track-2f.jpg

Edited by Johnno
added edit comment and photos

Howdy there PR. 

Thanks mate, got to love the MrTrax system.

If you are in Taree anytime and want to place a few laps feel free to reach out (PM sent). I am trying to get some racing happening. I've not been able to make it out Charlie at Old Bar as yet which is driving me crazy...

The track is positive wired so feel free to bring along your controller and any cars.

• 1 month later...

September 2, 2020
Well the afternoon didn't start at all well, had some issues with track call not cutting power to track when used, worked out that the power was not actually connected for some reason duh and doh!!, we could hear the solinoid working, that sorted then the cars were stuttering and carrying on, like what the hell now... worked out that when four cars and four Slot.it controllers active and four cars, there was not enough Amps, turning up the Amps fixed this and finally away racing we went.

Practice entailed allowing racers to sort out what cars they wanted to run in the five classes. 

With racing eventually kicking off a little behind schedule starting with: 
Ninco 1's,
As usual with a long straight most of the Ninco's were at maximum power straight out of the corner so the racing was going to be won on the cornering and chicane. 

Ninco-1-Leaderboard.jpg          Ninco-1-Podium.jpg

Ninco 1 Leaderboard                        Ninco 1 Podium

1st: Paul

2nd: Charlie

3rd: Lindsay

LMP's, 

Photo's weren't taken for this due to being in too much of a rush to start next race. Oh well.

GT3 International's
These beauties presented and raced well. Deslotting happening fairly constant. 

GT-International-Leaderboard.jpg          GT-International-Podium.jpg

GT International Leaderboard          GT International Podium

Slot.it's, 
Photo's weren't taken for this due to being in too much of a rush to start next race. Oh well.

Revo stock standard, 
Being the first time for racing on Johnno's track they traded well and were very well suited to the entire track from the long straight to the hard corners and overpass they ran great. 

Paul for some reason was some what out if sorts having more deslots than I've ever seen him have, he said he was trying too hard... yeah ok, try hard

Johnno (me) saw a remarkable improvement in car control and fewer than normal deslots, racing my own race (as Paul keeps telling me to do) taking out several podium positions, third place, but still I got to see the podium. 

Charlie started great but had some grip issues early on with one car. Which was sorted. 

Jeff and Joe drove great throughout all the classes with both having that "laid back, hands crossed, one handed controller pose"

I think Joe had his maiden race with his Revo (nice Malboro livery) and really hadn't done much tuning, I suggested he install his wood guide and true both front and rear tyres

Car damage was none, though there were two guides broken  during the day, the first door Johnno's track. 

It is great having a variety of experienced racers in the group with Charlie and Paul the most competitive between themselves

Revo-Leaderboard.jpg          Revo-Podium.jpg

Revo Leaderboard                              Revo International Podium

3rd: Johnno

Trans-Am

Trans-Am-Leaderboard.jpg          Trans-Am-Podium.jpg

Trans-Am Leaderboard                    Trans-Am International Podium

1st: Charlie

2nd: Paul

3rd: Johnno

Edited by Johnno

Well a bit late for posting Racing Results for 9th September 2020, better late than never I guess.

Well what an afternoon of racing we had at Paul's Undara Circuit. Sadly Geoff couldn't make the race meet so we persevered on with five of us for the afternoon.

Day progressed well with several guides being snapped once again by Paul. Johnno managed to write off a chassis with the guide mount completely breaking on his Slot.it Lola LMP, after checking online new chassis is $11 + postage, so I decided to part the car out for spares and complete the setup of another car.

20200909-132609-Ninco-1-Leaderboard.jpg          20200909-132719-Ninco-1-Podium.jpg

Ninco 1 Leaderboard                         Ninco 1 Podium

2nd: Paul

20200909-140150-Trans-Am-Leaderboard.jpg          20200909-140211-Trans-Am-Podium.jpg

Trans-Am Leaderboard                    Trans-Am Podium

20200909-143242-GT-International-Leaderb          20200909-143253-GT-International-Podim.j

GT International Leaderboard          GT International Podium

20200909-145848-Slot-it-Group-C-Leaderbo          20200909-151403-Slot-it-Group-C-Podium.j

Slot.it Group C Leaderboard             Slot.it Group C Podium

1st: Johnno

2nd: Lindsay

3rd: Joe

20200909-154317-LMP-Leaderboard.jpg          20200909-154350-LMP-Podium.jpg

LMP Leaderboard                              LMP Podium

20200909-161612-Revo-Leaderboard.jpg          20200909-161641-Revo-Podium.jpg

Revo Leaderboard                              Revo Podium

2nd: Paul

Edited by Johnno

• 2 months later...

Bit of more work done with the PSR (Pro Scale Racing) Dunlop Bridge, finally got motivated.

I had a rattle can of Machinery Grey so decided to go with that, didn't expect it to be so dark a grey, though this works in with the bridge name and other decals that really pop out.

Dunlop-bridge-MDF-vs-Dunlop-bridge-Plast

Original Dunlop Plastic Bridge compared to the Pro Scale Racing MDF Brdige

PSR-Dunlop-Bridge-1.jpg

PSR Bridge with lettering and Low Clearance Signage... which has been swapped out for the other part of the track name :)

PSR-Dunlop-Bridge-2.jpg

PSR Bridge with lettering and Low Clearance Signage... which has been swapped out for the other part of the track name :)

PSR-Dunlop-Bridge-3.jpg

PSR Bridge with lettering and Raceway signage swapped in :) 

PSR-Dunlop-Bridge-4.jpg

PSR Bridge with lettering and Raceway signage different angle

PSR-Dunlop-Bridge-Collage.jpg

PSR Bridge with lettering and Raceway signage collage

SM-BS-0904-1-DNLP-Bridge-1-original.jpg

PSR original MDF bridge - SM-BS-0904-1-DNLP-Bridge-1

SM-BS-0904-1-DNLP-Bridge-2-original.jpg

PSR original MDF bridge - SM-BS-0904-1-DNLP-Bridge-1

Edited by Johnno

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 9:46 PM, trubs said:

hi im from tuncurry and intrested in having a go as its been yrs since raced slot cars,,could i have sum info on available times and address thanks in advance Ray

Howdy Ray, 

Finally found the post I've been looking for, we have spoken on the phone a while back. Now that we are free to mingle, those of us double jabbed at least, you can call in mate when you are next in Taree, I will PM you the address etc.

Been a life saver having my own track to tinker on and tune some cars. If you have a few cars, bring them along, if not, no foul mate, I've got plenty including controllers that you can use, I've got you covered.

Johnno

Shenanigans Raceway

THIS-ONE-Shenanigans-Raceway-Collage-JUN

• Like 1

Oh yeah slotters rejoice!!! Full* racing is back!! *Limitations specifically apply to single jabbed racers.

Easing restrictions at 80% full vaccination
When NSW gets to 80% double vaccination, restrictions will be eased further. Find out about the roadmap to opening up NSW.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/easing-covid-19-restrictions/80-percent?utm_source=ServiceNSW_Consumer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-10-15_sfmc_576_con_covid_newsletter&utm_content=80_percent_roadmap&utm_term=see_updated_rules_button

covid-80-1-When-NSW-reaches-80-full-vaci

COVID 80% 1 - When NSW reaches 80% full vacination

covid-80-2-Visiting-Family-and-Friends.j

COVID 80% 2 - Visiting Family and Friends

covid-80-3-Travel-and-Transport.jpg

COVID 80% 3 - Travel and Transport

THIS-ONE-Shenanigans-Raceway-Collage-JUN

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Start Gantry & Tower

Part One: Modifications, surface preparation, paint station and perspex installation.

I've had the Gantry Walkway and Control Tower MDF kit from ProScaleRacing now for a little over two years and couldn't work out if it would fit correctly with my track, I bought it for the Scalextric track, finally got stuck in and worked on it. 

As I stuffed up previously gluing it before I painted it, I had to do a partial dismantle of the the gantry and tower, wasn't too hard, a couple of dabs of water on the PVA glued tabs, some gentle persuasion with a craft knife and the couple of sections came away fairly easy. 

The walkway had to be cut in half so I could insert a 65mm section so it would extend across the four lanes of my track, I think it turned out ok. 

From there I utilised a sheet of perspex I found in the gutter about a year ago, there was no window plastic included with the PSR kits for some silly reason, major oversight, I spent the better part of the day cutting the perspex to fit, the hardest being the control tower race control box as the perspex needed to the cut on a 5 degree angle, I simply used my sliding compound saw to do the cutting, started doing it manually then got the saw setup correctly for the angle cuts, sooo much easier LOL, with some very close finger holding at the saw blade.... some very strong concentration was needed for this dangerous job. 

I know what it's like to have a digit ripped off, when I was 13 I was helping my uncle get his powerboat out of the river, I was screwing the D-shackle bolt in when the bloke jumped on the tractor with wet feet, no rubber on the pedals, his foot slipped off the clutch, the boat trailer and tractor went forward, the boat stayed put, the D-shackle corkscrewed itself around my right thumb, completely lacerating it off... damn it all to hell and back... I felt nothing when it happened, just grabbed my thumb and ran to mum, then the pain hit.. that was the last year the power boat event was run :( 

I decided to keep things simple colour wise so I went with an all over gloss white, Sky Blue for the window trims and Machinery Grey for the roof tops. 

From there I decided to add a Falcon car and the SR lettering to the very top of the Control Tower, I loaned the brand new car to another racer to do some vacuum forming and the forming heat actually destroyed the car body some, so that was reassigned to the Control Tower roof :)

Part Two: LED installation and on track test

Some months back I stumbled across some LED lights with the USB-A connector already on, these could be cut down to size also, before this find I found some LED lights online that included the right angle and connector items which came in handy, with both the combinations I was able to run two strips of lights glued to the roof of the walkway and both down and up the Control Tower adding light to the entire structure, the excess LED strip I wound up and placed inside the center support posts to add bit of ambient light to the Control Tower race control area. 

Next is to add the Start / Finish signage and some track side signage to the Control Tower as well to break things up a little. The entire item is in-situ on the track and looks quite good. 

1-Walkway-extension-prep-1.jpg 10-Tower-perspex-prep-1.jpg 11-Tower-perspex-prep-2.jpg

12-Tower-perspex-prep-3.jpg 13-Tower-perspex-prep-4-door.jpg 14-Tower-perspex-prep-5-door-2.jpg

15-Tower-perspex-prep-6.jpg 16-Tower-perspex-prep-7.jpg 17-Tower-perspex-prep-8.jpg

18-Walkway-perspex-prep-1.jpg 19-Start-Gantry-Tower-track-test-1.jpg 2-Walkway-extension-prep-2.jpg

20-Start-Gantry-Tower-track-test-2.jpg 21-Start-Gantry-Tower-LED-s-and-perspex- 22-Start-Gantry-Tower-LED-s-and-perspex-

23-Start-Gantry-Tower-LED-s-and-perspex- 24-Tower-top-idea.jpg 25-Shenanigans-Raceway-Mr-Slotcar-Mr-Tra

3-Walkway-extension-prep-4.jpg 4-Walkway-extension-prep-4-notched-for-R 5-Walkway-extension-prep-3-notched-for-R

6-Walkway-extension-prep-5-notched-for-R 7-Start-Gantry-Tower-paint-1.jpg 8-Start-Gantry-Tower-paint-2.jpg

9-Start-Gantry-Tower-paint-3.jpg Finished-1.jpg Finished-2.jpg

Finished-3.jpg Finished-4.jpg 

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, Shaynus said:

Top work Johnno! Very effective lighting effect

On 2/19/2022 at 4:40 PM, tsmsoccer said:

Looks good there Johno

Thanks Shaynus and Charlie, not the neatest but something different for the track, got a few other buildings to do and some other minor scenic details for 2022, still keeping it as a racing track

• 1 year later...