flat spotted tyres on a stored car

gordo

folks, I made the mistake of storing my brm tyred brm mini on its wheels for 3 months, due to covid and raceway closures.

I now have 2 nice flat spotted rear tyres. is there any way to restore these without sanding?

was thinking spinning the tyres for a week  (centrifugal force maybe) .

don't want to consider any chemicals, our tracks here its forbidden

thoughts?

Can't help with fixing flat spots other than by re-sanding Gordo.

But, with all my boxed models, I cut icy pole sticks up into short sections and glued them to the bottom of the box.

They fit between the underside/chassis of the model and the box... surprisingly, it only takes one or two to lift the model up off its tyres just enough so that it is not resting on its tyres.

I have two new sets of PG tyres which have been stored under a drawer out of "everything"...never touched. Sadly, they have gone "red" and have split in places... 
I am a little disappointed in this... they will never be used and I am reluctant to purchase any more for upcoming models.

I do not know if I have failed to do something to "mothball" PG tyres, or if this is simply the nature of the urethane beast...

I have not suffered such with MJK or Scalextric tyres...

frats,

Rosco

thanbks for your comment.  funny you mentioned red.

I have a scaley camaro with mjks on and have a red tinge to them as well.

that car stored on its roof (like all my cars are now) except that blasted mini in the box.

The red tinge.... I have seen it before and think it reveals something about the age of the tires. The urethane seems to change colour and become slightly translucent which is the natural colour before the black tint is added. All I can suggest is replacement.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Interesting this topic has come up, I've recently had a new Scalextric pre-order arrive, so the product was not at all old, what I noticed were the tyres were all flat spotted from the car being over tightened down inside the case. I checked the other three different models and they were the exact same, all tyres were flat spotted. I can understand why the cars are screwed down so hard for shipping but heck, hard enough to cause flat spotting is bit too far I think.

Since this, I have gone through the entire boxed collection and backed off this retaining screw underneath, hopefully in avoiding any further flat spotting.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:27 PM, munter said:

The red tinge.... I have seen it before and think it reveals something about the age of the tires. The urethane seems to change colour and become slightly translucent which is the natural colour before the black tint is added. All I can suggest is replacement.

We had batches of specially made MJK tyres for the SCX WRP cars running in the proxy event back in 2014-16, they were brown in colour but a slight red tinge, almost transparent, very soft but had very good grip and needed no sanding or truing, unopened packets are still good today as are the ones on the cars, just need a little very light sanding and a run up on a wet soapy rag.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:57 PM, Johnno said:

Interesting this topic has come up, I've recently had a new Scalextric pre-order arrive, so the product was not at all old, what I noticed were the tyres were all flat spotted from the car being over tightened down inside the case. I checked the other three different models and they were the exact same, all tyres were flat spotted. I can understand why the cars are screwed down so hard for shipping but heck, hard enough to cause flat spotting is bit too far I think.

Since this, I have gone through the entire boxed collection and backed off this retaining screw underneath, hopefully in avoiding any further flat spotting.

I've cars arrive that have been screwed down so tight that the rear axle has popped, no one specific manufacturer, just pot luck as they just about all come from the same area.  

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I've seen the Red tinge quite a few times on the used MJK's I leave on my track.

They're probably a few years old but seem to do the red tinge then nigh on melt.

I've had a brand spanka Carrera Audi R8 new in the box with a pool of goo under the wheel where the tyre used to be. only time I've seen this.

Usually when storing cars I add one of those rubber washers from some roofing tech screws under the usual plastic washer to lift the car that little bit more off the base.

Edited by mattcrackers

Most Eurethane tyres will leach the Colour out, this is usually due to age IR heat,or combination of both.I have seen MJK do this but they do tend to last a bit longer if kept cool, my own tyres,only with most others do it. Different hardness,different Eurethane and the pigment used to Colour the Eurethane all effect the time this takes.

As was mentioned flat spots can easily be avoided by keeping the tyres in the air,when stored.

On 6/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, rosco01 said:

I have two new sets of PG tyres which have been stored under a drawer out of "everything"...never touched. Sadly, they have gone "red" and have split in places... 
I am a little disappointed in this... they will never be used and I am reluctant to purchase any more for upcoming models. I do not know if I have failed to do something to "mothball" PG tyres, or if this is simply the nature of the urethane beast...

I am not sure but suspect that Paul must have had a bad batch or something. I have lots of XPG and standard PC tyres and they are fine. I have had a half dozen or so go red and fall apart. Mainly 1/24 tyres - I can't recall if any 1/32 tyres have done this.

cheers
David

I have a couple sets MJK mounted , glued and trued mjks sitting in a plastic container for a few months with recent inactivity due to covid etc and I noticed they had developed moisture drops on the surface. like they were leaching out some liquid or another. we only use water when sanding tyres , they are nice n smoothe surface but feel slightly slimey. must be an age thing with these.

yet to put them on a car and see if any grip still there.

Edited by gordo
Left out a word