regme

Intermittented Power Surges

Hi

After packing my Scalextric away for a number of years, I have brought it out and what I thought would be a easy afternoon with a simiple loop has turned into WTF is going wrong.

When I put the cars on the track nothing happened, when I lifted the cars and pressed the throttle the car would run then stop, when I let go of the throttle and pressed it again same thing again. When I held the car up and it was running and set it back on the track it would stop.

I disconnected the power base and just ran 12 volts to check the connections and that was all fine. Cleaned the track.

Now the digial system is old, 6 car PB version 1.2 which I had converted to the simple-h mod with PB Pro Software and it all worked fine before I put it away, I also tried a the standard analog power base with the same results, used different cars, even motorbikes (analog).

I have no idea where to start with this one, if anyone has any ideas that would great.

Cheers

Hi Regme. Is it oxidation of tracks and contacts. I would not think digital system would be problem unless there is something there that can corrode. Braids on cars also probably need a good clean and brush. Certainly sounds like an electric continuity problem.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Regme.

I do know if you can do this over a digital track but I recently put 7/32 copper tape over analogue one and it worked a treat. Very smooth power and did not affect mags or actual power supply. If it is OK you would probably need to leave of movable track arms as those joints need to move.

Cooper tape is often sold for lead light window manufacture and usually easy to get. Very cheap.

Just a suggestion. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

If you don't have any Inox MX3 yet I'd grab myself a can from Bunnings.

Set your track up and wipe down the rails only with the Inox MX3

Works a charm and your cars will fell like they're smoother to run.

Matt

II ended up pulling all the cars apart and giving them a good over, changed braids and cleaned the track, now I'm back in business

Thanks for the help.

As Matt suggested, go and grab some Inox oil, on top of wiping the entire length of rails down I place a small drop on each braid of a car and run that around the track several times, I usually repeat this process with all the cars I am running which will collect any small amount of Inox oil off the rails then repeat wiping the rails with clean lint free cloth, I have found this works great.

As you said also about doing some general maintenance on the car, braids, greasing gears and pinions, tiny drop of Inox on the motor shaft on each end of the can and axles.

Adding a drop of Inox to the car braid is an easy way to oil up and clean the rails as well as the braids of the cars. I've actually found doing the maintenance on the cars in complete silence is rather therapeutic :)