Build / set up board

Hobbies Plus in Palmerston North New Zealand has one for sale I think but they are not cheap. Sure they are available world wide or at least States side. $

167 NZ plus postage. Precision PS2003 or something like that. He has lots of cheaper ones but this one has all the pins and adjustment holes.

Or you could make your own one.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Found a good one in the states, $80 odd dollars, with the exchange it doubled then with postage bought it to about $230, no thanks.

Building your own sounds like a far better, and cheaper,  option.

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

8 hours ago, gazza said:

Found a good one in the states, $80 odd dollars, with the exchange it doubled then with postage bought it to about $230, no thanks.

Building your own sounds like a far better, and cheaper,  option.

A quality jig is worth its weight in gold........it not only can be used for scratchbuilding, but, it is also extremely worthwhile for plastic car set up,.....ensuring that the chassis is both square and flat, and also for installing/aligning front end axle tubes etc.

That said, more chassis have been built over the years using a home made jig from a piece of slate, plywood etc. and I dare say I have built many more chassis on home made jigs than not !!

Regardless whether you go "bought" or "made", a jig is very important in getting the best handling from any chassis.

Cheers

Chris Walker

2004-01-01-00-00-00-53-copy.jpg

DSCN4561.jpg

Edited by Chrisguyw
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, charlesx said:

Hobbies Plus in Palmerston North New Zealand has one for sale I think but they are not cheap. Sure they are available world wide or at least States side. $

167 NZ plus postage. Precision PS2003 or something like that. He has lots of cheaper ones but this one has all the pins and adjustment holes.

Or you could make your own one.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I think that PS2003 is a 1/24 jig for "tuning fork" type chassis. While it may well work for some of your longer wheelbase 1/32 cars, it is far from ideal..........PS2201 (metric 1/32 scratchbuilder) is the most universal for 1/32 cars.............or, make your own !!

Cheers

Chris Walker

Hi all. I have one based on an electronic circuit breadboard not unlike the ones you mention Wobble. Beauty of Precision ones is they are all marked out and provided with pins, measurements  etc. I will attach a picture of mine but I just hammered in nails where I wanted at time. Would not be difficult to set-up properly. This was made for 1/32 but a 1/24th one would be just as easy.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Set-up-board.jpg

Edited by charlesx
Add picture

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lads,

I will look into the circuit boar d for a try (Thanks Charlesx)

Will chase the Percision Slot car jig.

See if we can  get them from a local supplier some where in Aus. 

I am  currently using a ceramic tile 150mm square. 

With  scribe lines etc. Works ok 

Looking for the next best thing?? 

Thanks again,

Paul 

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough

Hi Paul, If the "Precision" jig is, either too costly, or currently unavailable,...........try looking at the "basic jig" sold by Slot Car Corner (and I am sure others).

It goes for $16.99 US (they sell the pins separately $9.99, or you could cut some from piano wire).

It is a ceramic board, which is obviously just fine for soldering on, and it has masses of holes (as you can see) so wheelbase, track, and chassis rail alignment points should be easy to adjust...........you just need to check twice on the pin locations, as the masses of holes do play tricks on the eyes :o

I have seen some really nice chassis' built using this jig.......although the jig is not solely responsible:D

Cheers

Chris Walker

14103.jpg

Edited by Chrisguyw

This is the board and i forgot it has 20 pins over here the place to get both is  Cooksongold in Birmingham    www.cooksongold.com, there are 3 sizes of board mine is the medium one and the price is here £17-23 which includes VAT and P&P i have no idea of the postage to down under .ceramic%20plate.jpg

I have built two Cooper chassis on a jeweler's tile - they came out really well. Only concern with them was that some of the ceramic broke away on the edges of the holes. They are solder and heat proof.... but brittle.

I am waiting for a Precision board and a few extras to arrive from Michigan... may be a month or more yet... the wind must be blowing in the wrong direction - I think the slow boat is coming the long way around... I did go for the 1/32 metric board, as Chris W suggests... 

I will hold off on making a start on my two Torana chassis builds until it arrives. Wheels done, doing body work now... 

frats,

Rosco