Perkins Vk Commodore

With all the resin bodies out there now I decided that the Group A Touring Car scene is the one I wanted to build some cars for. Being an Aussie the Holden Commodore's Munter recently produced were exactly what I wanted to build. They are very clean as far as resin body goes so they don't need a heap of work, just a little filling here and there and some other minor work.

Everyone seems to be building Peter Brock cars and I wanted to do something a little different and the Perkin's VK was one I always like the look of. I also have one to do as the Chickadee Chicken car of Allan Grice but that will be a while away.

I worked out an Olifer Scalextric Javelin chassis was spot for wheelbase so I ordered one of them. I am using Patto's decals but I will change the way I do these next time as they are designed for his lexan bodies and aren't necessarily a great fit for this car. I will need to fill gaps where the stripes end which I probably should have painted in hindsight. Apart from that the decals are quite good, not brittle and come away from the backing paper better than any I have had from Bruce before.

I need to order some Staff's 5 spoke wheels in black as they are perfect for this car and some more long can Olifer motor mounts for this and other Touring Cars I want to build.

Here's a few photo's so far but I will put up some more of the build as it goes along.

Perkins VK 01.jpg

Perkins VK 02.jpg

Perkins VK 03.jpg

Perkins VK 04.jpg

Perkins VK 01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great work, Vinno... I remember in an interview with PB - he stated that the VK was his favorite looking of all the Commodores he raced... I wasn't so keen on it - to me it had too much wing stuff (like a car version of a wing suit)... I love the A9-X... and have it on pre-order with Armchair... hoping Scalextric come through with production... if the clay prelude is anything to go on... this will be an amazingly detailed model... depends on how thick they wrap the paint over it... detail killer, as I call it.

Looking forward to the Gricey Chickadee.. that was a great car..

And yes, for some reason, PB is in vogue again with modeling. I also have a soft spot for Moffatt.. he was a very sadly short-changed icon in our racing history - I have yet to meet him.. I know some who have, and have come away with very fond memories of speaking with him... a very quiet and reserved man, apparently.. Ford US did the dirty on him... and our Oz annexe didn't do him justice to his loyalty to them...

These icons will live forever... the now historic movie footage has already taken place amongst that of GP racing and other famous period keepsakes....

Keep up the great work - great representation of yet another chapter in our long history of motor racing in Oz....

frats,

Rosco

Great work, Vinno... I remember in an interview with PB - he stated that the VK was his favorite looking of all the Commodores he raced... I wasn't so keen on it - to me it had too much wing stuff (like a car version of a wing suit)... I love the A9-X... and have it on pre-order with Armchair... hoping Scalextric come through with production... if the clay prelude is anything to go on... this will be an amazingly detailed model... depends on how thick they wrap the paint over it... detail killer, as I call it.

Looking forward to the Gricey Chickadee.. that was a great car..

And yes, for some reason, PB is in vogue again with modeling. I also have a soft spot for Moffatt.. he was a very sadly short-changed icon in our racing history - I have yet to meet him.. I know some who have, and have come away with very fond memories of speaking with him... a very quiet and reserved man, apparently.. Ford US did the dirty on him... and our Oz annexe didn't do him justice to his loyalty to them...

These icons will live forever... the now historic movie footage has already taken place amongst that of GP racing and other famous period keepsakes....

Keep up the great work - great representation of yet another chapter in our long history of motor racing in Oz....

frats,

Rosco

I'm actually a Ford fan but I like a full grid of cars. Plenty of Ford Sierra's to go around along with BMW's and when Munter has that Johnson Mustang ready I will be working on that as my next build I think. Going to be later this year though as I am waiting for my house to be finished and will be busy landscaping and setting it up for a few months.

Always a Holden fan here, Vinno... but picking up some GT40's that I've always loved started my collection of Blue Ovals.... I have Moffatt's phase 2 and 3 and have pre-ordered his phase 1....and when I can get my grubby mitts on his Trans Am Mustang - that will be a project which will move almost to the top of the list.

Not particularly a Johnson fan - but the bloke threw himself into motor racing full on... the XE was his crowning glory. Saw his red Sierra in person at Launceston on show in the museum there.

I believe the unsung hero in all of this, and who has never been awarded the accolades he so rightly deserves.... and who I further believe is is genuine gentleman..... Colin Bond.

Had a soft spot for the "smiling assassin" - Glenn Seton as well... but my loyalty lays with GMH... leopards and spots, I guess...

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

• 4 weeks later...

From first post. “Being an Aussie the Holden Commodore's Munter recently produced were exactly what I wanted to build”. Lol. Didn’t even look at who posted!  So what did you produce and are any available??

Edited by Farrout

• 2 weeks later...

A few more pictures as the car slowly takes shape. 

I fitted windows, did some chassis work to make it driveable and installed the Staffs wheels from Pendles. The wheels are full aluminium so no inserts and look great, very close to the originals the car raced with.

Just got to finish the interior and it will be done. Looking forward to completing it and giving it a run and sorting it some more.

Perkins VK 05.jpg

Perkins VK 06.jpg

Perkins VK 07.jpg

20 minutes ago, Shaynus said:

That looks great Vinno. What size wheels are they? They are a great choice.

I like Larry's helmet and glasses - nice touch!

The wheels are 15.8 X 10 on the rear and 15.8 X 8 on the front. The rears are air rims with the drilled holes in the rim between the ribs the fronts solid.

Staffs Rims Link

I should have gone a little easier on Larry's Glasses they are a bit thick in the rim. Be nice to find some helmet decals for it.

Looks great Vinno - nice work with Larry - I'm sure he won't mind you catching him with his crash test dummy glasses on.... 

Wheels are out of my league... they look amazing.

How did you do the decals.. ummmmm how did you make them/purchase them/whatever... 

Looks like a great day for a race... hope it doesn't rain... (sic).

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

22 hours ago, rosco01 said:

Looks great Vinno - nice work with Larry - I'm sure he won't mind you catching him with his crash test dummy glasses on.... 

Wheels are out of my league... they look amazing.

How did you do the decals.. ummmmm how did you make them/purchase them/whatever... 

Looks like a great day for a race... hope it doesn't rain... (sic).

frats,

Rosco

Hi Roscoe, the decals are from Patto’s Place but they need a lot of trimming to fit and touching up where they don’t as they are made for Flexi bodies. These bodies are closer to scale so not a great fit. Once you clear over you don’t see The joins between paint and decal so easily. 

Feel free to ignore me it I read this wrong but you can order Patto's decals without the background colour but it costs the same as the wrap decals with the background colour.

If you don't mind painting the car then it is probably easier this way.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

7 hours ago, mtpanorama said:

Feel free to ignore me it I read this wrong but you can order Patto's decals without the background colour but it costs the same as the wrap decals with the background colour.

If you don't mind painting the car then it is probably easier this way.

Yep that’s what I used, the wrap decal comes nowhere near fitting the car so it is easier to cut them out anyway. 

Lovely work on the Commodore Vinno.

Might have to get one myself.

I've found when using Pattos decals it's best to cut them to size before you paint the car and test fit.

I usually trace around the decal once cut out to help with the masking for the next colour of paint to try and keep the lines sharp.

Saying that I always seem to be short here or there.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished this one and while I am happy with it there are heaps of areas I can improve on the next Commodore. The decals are a particular problem to do as they are the whole body and don't fit that well so they really need cutting out and possibly the stripes would be better painted. Patto makes the decals to suit his flexy bodies and that is fine for them and seeing these resin bodies are a very short run it couldn't be exoected he would make them to suit these too. Really not that big an issue as the fun in building the car was really what it is about.

Munter makes some great resin bodies and I would have bought another 3 or 4 Commodores just to round out my grid a little more if he would make enough. 

Weight is around 110 grams with some lead added and I am hoping it is a good runner. I gave it a run a few weeks ago on Boslot's track with no weight in it and it was OK but still needed some sorting. Hopefully it is a little closer to being a good runner and I will give it a test this Friday night. The it will be packing all my stuff away to move house and get the man cave set up in the new house.

I have Munters Dick Johnson Mustang next so I can't wait to get started on that. It will have a little more detail and a better interior. Anyway here are some photos of the finished Perkins car.

Perkins VK 08.jpg

Perkins VK 09.jpg

Perkins VK 10.jpg

Perkins VK 11.jpg

Perkins VK 12.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Shaynus said:

Great job Vinno! What is the story with the two colours of the chassis?

I bought a blue chassis as it was cheaper at the time and just painted the underside black as that is all you can see from the outside. They seem to be dearer now as they are polished in Blue. I would be buying white now. 

• Like 1