A Question For The Electronic Wizzkids

Wobble

My electronic know-how is about as good as my computer know-how and it's not good. I can solder wires on a motor the right way around, and I have re-wound a motor donkeys ages ago for the hell of it, but that is more technical than electronic. But now I'm fiddling ariound with a Scaley Javelin and it has tailights and no headlights. Weird or what? But anyhow I disconnected them 'cos I didn't think I'd want them but now I'm wondering, if I wire them up in reverse will they come on when I button off the trigger approaching a bend or stopping? I know leds are directional and I have a Cadillac NorthStar that one headlight would work in one direction and the other vice versa, although that's fixed now because it was just soldering and that too is more technical than electronic. Just to clarify this is running analogue on routed track using a slot.it scp1 or 2 or something. It'd be good if they did 'cos it'd be a cheap and novel way to add brake lights to the mix just because.

So who can tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree or just barking mad?

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Not barking mad, Bram..... just like the rest of us - it just seems like it....

I don't know how the light are wired.. if you had a circuit diagram, I could probably make some sense of it... but, they don't do things like that - because people start building their own... and sales plummet....

In model railways, we have a small circuit called a "constant headlight" circuit.... I haven't built one, but plan on doing so (too many hobbies, too many "plans)...

For as long as there is any power on the rails... (or power braid in our case).. the lights will come on and do not change the brightness as power is increased/decreased. further, they "reverse".. that is, if the loco is going in one direction - only the headlight at the leading end is on... the trailing end is off......

I don't know how to arrange the connections for a slot car to provide brake lights... my thinking is that this is more likely done in some form of digital wizardry that digital plugs etc provide.... however, my mind is telling me that with some thought - by the use of diodes... brake lights can be made to come on when power is removed (close throttle).. and the generated output from the motor could be utilised to make them glow for as long as the motor is turning sufficiently to create current..... I could work out a circuit.. but it would take me some considerable time to do so....... then I'd have to build it.... and - at the end of the day - it might not work....

Eager to read what others post in this.... good luck, hope there is a simple solution to your question...

frats,

Rosco

Not straight forward, I'm afraid Bram. As Rosco's thought it does involve capacitors, diodes / transistors etc. The idea is that when the input voltage goes over, say 6V (full power), the capacitors are changed, no power to the brake lights. When voltage goes below 6V (throttle off, heading into a corner), due to the electronic wizardry, the capacitors discharge into the brake lights, bringing them on. Power applied again (coming out of a corner), the electronics do their magic, brake lights off, capacitors charge.

The easiest way is to buy an old Scalextric car old Jag "Silk Cut" enduro car for example, and transfer the little circuit board to your car.

I did this to a 911 NSR and it was quite effective. I'll see if I can find some photos out.

There are circuit diagrams on the Interwebs for it.

Thanks guys ….. don't get me wrong ….. I don't 'want' brake lights.

I just wondered, if under braking, when the motor seems to be trying to act like a generator, it would light up the standard tail light loom if wired in reverse.

I'll try it but it won't be until this whole corona thing blows over and race nights are on again.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg