Forum Upgrade

Jacob

Hi everyone,

Behind the scenes the past couple of weeks we have been testing an upgrade of the forum. We've almost got that test version to where we need it to be, so I expect in the next couple of weeks we will be ready to do the real thing.

This will result in some down-time which I will schedule for an evening. All going well, the forum will only be offline for 2-3 hours - that's why we're doing the testing. There's always a chance for something unexpected though. The upgrade is major and requires a number of changes to the back-end - most of those changes happen automatically, however if something were to fail, the forum might be down longer than originally anticipated. We can update on Facebook if that is the case.

The look and feel will change, but from what I've seen so far, it will be easier. For example, you don't need to mess around with img codes and things like that - you can just paste a URL to an image. We'll be able to help if you have trouble working things out after the upgrade. Image hosting still won't be provided via us, you will have to continue doing that externally.

Interestingly, we will actually need all your help after the upgrade. Posts need to be rebuilt before images etc.. will be visible, and that process is triggered automatically by members logging in and using the forum. Images in brand new posts will work immediately though. It took a few days to complete the rebuild on the test forum, but hopefully with your help this will be much shorter. This is just because the upgrade in this instance is between major versions.

Perhaps the best part of the upgrade is that registration will work again, and hopefully we can keep building on the increased activity we've seen recently.

Anyway, that's all - probably around the middle of May I'll be ready. The plan is to sort out the theme for the new version in the meantime and do one more test upgrade.

Cheers

Jacob

• Upvote 2

Thanks For making it official Jacob it’s been a long time coming. Who would think a pandemic has been able to trigger interest in forums again?

I’m just happy we have been able to keep the place up and running. We wouldn’t have been able to do it without the long term members and the patient newbies who have kept the place viable and made it possible to do.

Thanks Jacob... any further news on the upgrade... ?

frats,

Rosco

We are doing a bit more testing on the test forum to iron out as many bugs as we can pick up. I will see Jacob tomorrow when he visits us so we will talk about a plan.

Thanks for the update, Vinno.... fingers crossed.

Be nice to be able to post images direct - but understand the complications.... my photo hosting site is working fine - hope they don't chuck a wobbly at some time and I lose all my posted pix... I have suffered this in another forum... fortunately, that forum has moved to posting direct from personal files...

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Current plan is to proceed with the upgrade on Friday evening starting around 8PM Sydney time. My second test upgrade worked the other day with a couple of different issues during the process appearing. I was able to get through them with minimal pain - hopefully that will be all.

Fingers crossed it'll be done by 10PM at the latest and people can get on and have a late night browse.

Certainly looks different....Probably too many options for me in the long run, but time will tell....Main problem is that I can't see an easy way at looking up "latest posts" the easy option, i.e the link,  seems to have been removed. 

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I've been hitting the "Activity" icon... brings up everything which has been posted since my last visit... but I check that box too... you can choose how you get updates.. I believe the default should allow you to view all of them... just click on "Activity".

frats,

Rosco

• 2 years later...

Hi Jacob.

As a keen racer for over 60 years it disturbs me that some people who should know better chose to criticise others for their honest views and suggestions. I would hope AUSLOT will always be open to a range of views and opinions and not condone undue criticism and abuse.

Yours in slotting since 1960. Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

On 8/26/2022 at 12:39 PM, munter said:

1960....I had trouble typing that.

I think it was 1965 for my start in slots.

Agree with your statement above.

"You dont have to blow my candle out to make yours glow brighter"

All those candles on the birthday cake will glow plenty bright enough! :P

• Like 1

• Jacob unpinned this topic