ZackM

The Start Of A New Sportsman Project!

Hey guys! I have been plugging away on a few projects at home.

I got a guy who wanted a sportsman style car like the Fairlane I just build. He wanted something different, and found this 70' Mercury Cyclone body on ebay. It is a custom made job, and for a home built styrene kit it was pretty well done.

That said, it still required a lot of work to get it to the point where it could be painted. It is however pretty lightweight, so should be worth the effort! Yellow paint went down last night per request!

Chassis is a simple flexi pan setup. Using a .063" Center pan and .032" side pans. The motor mount is a cut down professor motor lightweight unit.

Should have her finished up and running by the weekend I hope!

49807545572_253ff02498.jpg

49807482687_4d7fbffe9b.jpg

49806618273_2016eaea25.jpg

49806617783_e4c142a0e2.jpg

Zack

Love your work Zack. Are they wheels/tyres you are going to fit or just for clearance purposes. Will be interesting to see what final product looks like. Looks like it will be one grunty machine. Will also be interesting to see what motor you intend to fit. Wonder if kit is still available and if there are others in range.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

I looked on the Proxie Model website this morning, and this is the only body they do at the moment. It is $20, but not sure which currency. I assume $US. Didn't get to seeing where they are located

Yea these are the wheels and tires. Yeah the body was $23.50 shipped USD. Not cheap for how much work I had to put in on it, but for a unique body its a pretty good option! I think they were made to fit the pioneer chassis?

Anyhow. Got the body mostly assembled after clear last night. Tonight I should be mounting it up and working on some interior details and such. Yellow wouldn't be choice again, but it looks pretty cool!

49809829618_145c8534ae.jpg

49809829558_6b453aba10.jpg

49809829423_7577e2beaa.jpg

Zack

I finished up the car this weekend. Pretty happy with the final results. As usually the interior is tricky when the ride height gets this low, but I was able to make something work that looks pretty good.

The roll bar was taken from a Pioneer Camaro, The dashboard is the one that came in the kit.

The paint finish on the car isn't the best I have done, but considering the work I had to put into it to get it paintable I am happy with the results!

49826611196_47799b931d_k.jpg

49826078383_2e285d19ff_k.jpg

49826927557_58702b0b5f.jpg

• Upvote 1

That is a great looking car you have built ZackM, well done! What sort of work was needed on the body? Just a general tidy /trim around the edges, or more than that?

What wheels & tyres are they, and where did you get them from? They set the car off great.

Top work!

That is a great looking car you have built ZackM, well done! What sort of work was needed on the body? Just a general tidy /trim around the edges, or more than that?

What wheels & tyres are they, and where did you get them from? They set the car off great.

Top work!

Well the mold lines were in some difficult spots to get fixed up, and the body had a lot more flashing present than you would get on a normal Tree'd styrene shell. It also has a couple low spots that some may want to spend time to fill, but I didnt' worry about it in this case.

The wheels are CB Designs classic steel wheels in 15x10. Custom painted of course. The tires are Paul Gage PGT Part # 22166ff! They come with a Road race style center tread. But I cut them down until that is just gone, to give them more of the dirt track look and to allow the car to be a bit lower!

Zack

That is one sort of serious race car Zack. Not a class raced locally but great build. Clearly you needed to do some extra work to get body to look so good.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I'm guessing this car goes like a scalded cat, Zak....?

Love the chassis work - I'm yet to get a feel for working with brass plate in a slot car..

frats,

Rosco