Coronavirus Projects

It is a shame Alexis.

I have always just used a couple of dips in floor polish for clear coat, let first one dry then go again.

Never have a problem with decals that way.

Thanks ZeGas and Vinno.

A couple of good ideas for protecting decals.

I have usually just sprayed a couple of coats of clear enamel. Only time I have had trouble (e.g. my Sunoco Ford Capri Group 5) I think I may have only done one coat.

Certainly worth spending the extra time to protect as I was really sad about above as Tassie Phil had made such a great job of decals he made specially for me. Car has had a fairly hard life however including several re-builds so perhaps I should not be too hard on myself.

I will extra careful when I put the decals on my Brabham BT54.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried making 3D printed wheels a while back for the front axle use only but found them too inconsistent, how have yours been Alexis, any tricks?

I have tried ABS PET and nylon (PA).The best finish comes with ABS but they are breakable.Then PET are easy to do and solid enough but i am not happy with the finish.Nylon is the best combination of finish and rigidity but cannot get the axle hole right.The axle hole is the biggest problem with all the materials,the easier is ABS,i can get it right but when i try to tighen the rim on the axle using the gub screws it breaks or chews the thread,i even cut a thread using a taper tool before screwing but no result.PET is quite good but not strong enough when tightening the grub screw chews the threads.With nylon there is no thread problem it is stiff enough BUT i generates grooves in the axle hole so when the dia is right the rim is loose because of the grooves.I tried to decrease the dia and ream them but was never able to avoid wobble.On top of everything else nylon is a torture because it is hygroscopic absorbing moisture from the ambience so you have to dry it in the oven for 3-4 hours before use and after a couple of hours it is unsueabl;e again with ambient temperatures around 28 deg and very low humidity

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Progress report
Jaguar E type LM 62 progressing
Click image for larger version  Name: CIMG8087.JPG Views: 0 Size: 3.11 MB ID: 38470
Ferrari 275 GTB LM 69 got a chassis and paint
Click image for larger version  Name: CIMG8086.JPG Views: 0 Size: 3.20 MB ID: 38471
Another Ferrari 360 Modena Ninco got the tratment,lightweight cockpit&glass,poded chassis

Click image for larger version  Name: CIMG8085.JPG Views: 0 Size: 3.21 MB ID: 38472
And another Porsche 997 Ninco
Click image for larger version  Name: CIMG8088.JPG Views: 0 Size: 3.25 MB ID: 38477
And the Rover SD1 finished heading straight in to the "to be redone" drawer the photo was shot from a distance to cover up what i f8*&d up

Click image for larger version  Name: CIMG8086.JPG Views: 0 Size: 3.18 MB ID: 38474Click image for larger version  Name: CIMG8087.JPG Views: 0 Size: 3.27 MB ID: 38475

Progress report,3 to go to the lacquer shop onerescued from junkyard

2gMVUxc.jpg

The decals were a nightmare despite the fact that I protected them with liquid decal film the rear number cracked as soon as  it set ,Will have to print a replacement one

0FpyxtQ.jpg

3ym73fX.jpg

Part of the same junkyard as the Alpine,Chevy 55

5XbMckz.jpg

Alpine A210 1/24 Heller static kit part of a box full of broken static kits I bought some years ago ,this is the second one I managed to recover (the first one was a Rambler ) .I was lucky to remove all glass in (almost) one piece and repoped them vacforming them

vQq7330.jpg

• 3 months later...