SlotsNZ

Another Proposed Track

Hi all

this came to me this morning. Basically a home track to play with the grandkids, and a test track for club racing, - at a club not a million miles away

from me..... Would "Eggs" give it away to some local guys, or the Ministry of Silly Hats..... in case you missed the first one.

The brief :

So I've put some designs to paper and now seeking some advice of which would best suit the needs of a "test" track and something to have some serious

(did I just say serious) fun on. The max area in board size is approx 130x280.

Your opinion and suggestions would be much appreciated. Stay safe

rod1.jpg

Hmmm ..... pondering.

Initially ...

9 as a test track

But for racing I like the looks of 6 & 7.

Still pondering though.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

I avoid short straights and right angle corners....looks like plastic track design and hard to create flow.

My vote is for #1 or #12

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi SlotsNZ/Mark.

I am with Munter (1. or 12). but prefer 1. with cross over to keep tracks equal.

2. would be OK but the lane change should be excluded as makes it a one lane track as far as I can see.

These tracks could be easily driven with lower voltage but would provide a better challenge as kids progress. At only 2.8m long baseboard many of the other tracks would be far too tight.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

What track system or will it be routed? As this gives me an idea of the smallest radius that will be used. Overall layout is a tad smaller than mine actually. 12 reminds me a bit of the straight and turns 1,2,3 of SMSP (Eastern Creek). I kind of like 11 and 12 and also 9 if it was simplified a bit by removing one of the esses to create one larger loop at one of the ends.

9 would be good but might end up too tight with the dimensions you gave. As per Slotspeed maybe remove or shorten the Esses.

I like #1.It hasa a nice flow and looks like it would drive well in either direction. In fact I like it so much I might nick the design for a possible future project. Like Munter I'm not too keen on tight 90deg corners either.

#1 or #4 if the overpass was a reasonable climb and drop.

Something worth doing is making a model cut out of cardboard (from boxes).

One of our club members did that some time ago and I did the same prior building my Mount Panorama track with a rally track on the infield.

Gives you a 3D vision and help your decision making.

I used expanding foam to hold the cardboard in place and help with any elevations. Plus did some quick paintwork.

MtPanoramaModel.jpg

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

I pencil all of my tracks in full size on the sheets of MDF before I fire up the router.

It gives you a real size view of what you are about to do, and you can make any small changes before you commit.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Ok have gone with the majority recommended, track 1 with some slight variation. So here is what we have managed to get done thus far. 

First though a big thankyou to the more experienced builders of tracks who have passed and posted on this forum their knowledge about the process of
building tracks. This being my first build have found the posts most helpful, building the track though........not without its moments. Love that builders bogrod11.jpg
First a sturdy frame

rod12.jpg
A couple of 12mm 8x4 MDF sheets, draw the lay out to see how it looks, and pin the tube for the router to follow

rod13.jpg
Starting to look like something to have a little fun on. The tracks measure 33' 6" and 33' 8" if I hadn't put the squezze corner in ( bottom right) they would
have been the same (around 10 mtrs)

rod14.jpg
Of course had to put it on coasters so it can come outside inthe summer

rod15.jpg
Using / cutting up an old shower cubicle to make the barriers. It's 3mm thick so used the same router process for making the tracks to obtain a slot for the barrier then glued in place. The plastic bends well but on the tighter corners used a heat gun to make it a little more plyable. It's a wait and see game now on how well it performs on race day......

You have to LOVE this guy, has a very suttle way of offering advice.

34 minutes ago, SlotsNZ said:

We all love the bog. 

You don't want to read that out of context eh Mark?

Good skills with the router Rodsun ….. actually good skills with the whole table.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Update..... So coming out of lockdown have just managed to get the track running. There is a board to go on the "open" end to stop cars disappearing (chuckle). Noticed 1 modification to be made on the corner coming from the under pass (white lane, not enough distance to barrier) which I figured would happen but should be able to sort it, then it will be painting and landscaping to make it more interesting to look at and fun to play on. For me I think it will be a good test track.......already want to build a bigger one.rod16.jpg