Chrisguyw

Fly Guide/chassis Mod.

I posted this on another Forum :o,...one that is planning a Fly Classic proxy, and thought that for anyone here running Fly cars it would be of interest/benefit.

One of the issues on the Fly chassis (actually on most plastic chassis') when running without magnets is the lack of sufficient guide rotation.....this is not an issue with magnets, as even with a small slip angle, the magnets lose contact with the track rails, and the car deslots. Without magnets, the car can achieve much larger slip angles and the guide often "bottoms out" on the chassis plate, with one of two things happening....when the guide pounds into the chassis, either the guide blade can break, or , worse the guide tongue post hole support will crack/ break.

From a performance perspective , with insufficient guide rotation , big slides will result in the car "bouncing" on the guide/chassis stops, which is not the hot tip for quick/consistent laps.

The following is a quick/simple fix, that will not only save your chassis/guide from breakages, but, will result in a car that is smoother/more consistent at the limit.

I have done this mod, on many many Fly (and other chassis) for club member/shop customers with no issues whatsoever.....it will not weaken the chassis..it will eliminate breaks biggrin.png

Cheers

Chris Walker

The first pic. is of a Standard Fly chassis/guide, showing less the acceptable guide rotation....

DSCN4121-zpsvf4yzkae.jpg

Same shot from above......the "ears" of the guide, bottom out on the chassis plate far too early.

DSCN4550.jpg

On the next shot, I have marked with a Sharpie the area of the chassis plate to be removed,

I usually use a Dremel with a round burr/sanding drum, but, You can use some round files, or an exacto...remove a bit at a time wink.png

DSCN4122-copy-4.jpg

One side finished ...........

DSCN4123-copy-3.jpg

Guide installed.............almost double the degree of rotation........no more breakages, and a nicer car to drive hard ......."Priceless "biggrin.png

DSCN4125-copy-2.jpg

Edited by Chrisguyw

That's a nice simple fix Chris.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

That's a nice simple fix Chris.

And it works !!. :D .........I do this to varying degrees on all plastic chassis', and metal/scratchbuilt chassis as well.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Great write write up Chris.

I am sure there are other newbies like me who may think of ideas like this but are hesitant of pulling the trigger in concern of wreaking their car.