Chrisguyw

Late 60's (Ish) Canam Grid

A few of my scratchbuilt /Vintage late 60's (ish) CanAm/USRRC cars on the grid.........there are a couple that are a bit earlier/later, so no comments :D

Cheers

Chris Walker

"Dan" and Dave MacDonald had to start from the pits :)

DSCN4544.jpg

The front row............

DSCN4545.jpg

Some of the midfield folks.............

DSCN4546.jpg

And,....there are always the stragglers...

DSCN4547.jpg

The view from the back............

DSCN4548.jpg

And the view the field got of the front row..........

DSCN4549.jpg

Edited by Chrisguyw
  • Upvote 1

Ah - Ha.... I see an MRRC Cheetah... like I have.... I hope you didn't have as much trouble getting that car to run properly as I did..... almost replaced everything on the chassis with Slot-It gear... it runs sweet now..

Also spotted your Carrera one... they are a great model - much quicker than the Carrera Cobra... wider track and tyres - the Cobra is good if you want to "drift".. much like the Scalextric L-34 of Brock's...

Sweet collection.. looks amazing.

frats,

Rosco

Roscoe

Chris is the best scratchbuilder in the world imo...

His a master craftsman in my eyes at this hobby ....

I bet the chassis’s are scratch built plus he paints and I’m sure Chris mentioned a few are vintage re builds all look stunning an will be especially super driveable ,smooth + quick ....

Great looking grid Chris.

I I may ask a question as some one interested in getting into a few scratch built chassis myself. How do you ensure everything is straight and aligned and how do you clamp the items you are soldering during the process?

Also a few more photos of your track would be greatly appreciated.

John

Ah - Ha.... I see an MRRC Cheetah... like I have.... I hope you didn't have as much trouble getting that car to run properly as I did..... almost replaced everything on the chassis with Slot-It gear... it runs sweet now..

Also spotted your Carrera one... they are a great model - much quicker than the Carrera Cobra... wider track and tyres - the Cobra is good if you want to "drift".. much like the Scalextric L-34 of Brock's...

Sweet collection.. looks amazing.

frats,

Rosco

Sorry Rosco,.....no MRRC or Carrera Cheetahs here !!............the Black one is an Original Cox, and the Red one is a Strombecker....the cox with a modified Cox chassis, and the Strombecker with one of their "Competition" brass chassis............I had no issues making either one run very very well :D

Cheers

Chris Walker

This is the Strombecker............

2003-12-31-23-00-00-44-copy.jpg

2003-12-31-23-00-00-45-copy.jpg

And this is the Cox.............you can see my grimy fingerprints, they show up well on Black :o .........need to give it a wipe !!

2009-06-23-14-01-32-copy.jpg

The Cox chassis under it is a copy of this 1/24 scale one that I built........it is an inline however.

DSCN4149-copy.jpg

Edited by Chrisguyw

Great looking grid Chris.

I I may ask a question as some one interested in getting into a few scratch built chassis myself. How do you ensure everything is straight and aligned and how do you clamp the items you are soldering during the process?

Also a few more photos of your track would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hello, While over the years I have built many many chassis on a block of plywood, and, or graph paper, I would strongly suggest that if you are seriously interested in scratchbuilding (or if you are serious about the performance of your plastic cars) that you invest in a proper jig.

Not only do I use mine for all scratchbuilding, it is invaluable for aligning plastic cars...both ensuring that the axles are on the same horizontal plane and both axles are parallel.

Cheers

Chris Walker

2003-12-31-23-00-00-62-copy.jpg

2003-12-31-23-00-00-120.jpg

You can use same size wheels/spur gears etc. on both left and right sides to ensure that any axle tubes you may add, are aligned with the rear axle, and on the same horizontal plane..........a flat and square chassis is essential in building a great handling and consistent car

2004-01-01-00-00-00-53-copy.jpg

If you need any more help, or, have any questions. please shout !!

I'm :lol: shouting, man I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for that insight Chris, it is an awesome tip to start.

Do the axle blocks come with the jig and where to purchase?

I've looked at Precision Slot Cars site, but only find some in imperial not the metric Chris has and none look like Chris's.

Please don't say not supported anymore.

Thanks Grant your a champ....

Wow I’m getting the wire bender also....

Edited by GAS41T

Hi Folks, Looks like you have found the Precision slot car site .......the metric jig is part #2201, and the Imperial #2200......these are the best all purpose 1/32 jigs on the market.

GAS41T,....before you order the Precision wire bender it is worth looking at the wire bender from RGEO slot products...I have both and find I use the RGEO more frequently. RGEO also has some other cool bits and pieces, and his stuff is widely respected/used among the 1/24 go faster crowd, which, I must admit, often includes me.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Great job Jimmy..!! :) .............while these days I seem to be building/racing 1/32 cars most of the time, my real passion is for the 1/24 stuff....will post a few in the coming days.

Cheers

Chris Walker

All we need now is

Your home address, security alarm code, and what time of day you are out shopping for essential supplies. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Scratching around looking for pics of my other Can-Am's & latest builds couldent find a collective pic of them so was a good excuse to do a photo shoot on my new track.

My favourite all time Can-Am is the Yellow Vic Elford McLaren,although it's a Lexan body we have learned how to make them look as good as a plastic kit,in our Australin Plafit Championships where the concourse points are added to race points to determin the winner.

DSCN3010.jpgmarimo moss ball plant grab n go

Cheers Jimmy :D stay safe all

Hi all. A NZ/Aussie Canam field a few years back. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

P1010023.jpg

Hi all. Another Canam field a couple of years later. SlotsNZ and then David Carter ran the NZ/Aussie Canam series for about 7 years. Regards Chas Le Breton

IMG-6082.jpg

Jimmy, that Lexan McLaren is beautiful, hard to tell it is not plastic, bet it goes like stink too.

Fantastic fields of cars there people. There is some high quality craftsmanship on display in those photos!

Hi ZeGas and Shaynus.

Denny Hulme's McLaren car was No. 5 so clearly he was able to jump from one car to another. Do not think it was his day though unlike real thing. Bruce McLaren was resting in peace at this stage but was joined by Denny many years later.

These proxies were run well before Slot-it and Thunderslot McLarens became available. The Slot-it M8 was available towards the end. Series started with predominately modified RTR original chassis with the odd scratch built including a lot of Revell, Carrera and some NSR and resin cars. Later mainly Slot-it or NSR types.

Lenny Broke from Adelaide and myself had a great tussle in our Revell McLaren M6's for several years. Tiny little cars only 53mm wide but very close to scale. Think I ran mine for 7 years altogether. Originally powered by standard Revell motor then Slot-it 25000rpm. Later in Class B with Slot-it orange motor. Not the fastest but always competitive. I retained original chassis and Revell AW layout throughout. I still goes like a rocket.

Hope a bit of history is of interest. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Models of such calibre are a treat in themselves, Chas.. but to see them lined up on a grid.... spectacular...

Great work,

frats,

Rosco