Lc Lj Torana Scratch Builds

rosco01

Hi folk,

before I go any further with this thread - has there been one made in the forum already?

I'm a late '60's and '70's period modeler in slot cars... this was my era when 1:1 scale circuit racing had me entrenched with a passion.

Of late, I have been able to pick up PB's L34 and have on order his A9-X... I spied an LJ Torana in a pic in this forum and chased down the owner.. and supplier.

Since then, I have two body kits ready to be laid out and a start made and am building up the chassis parts for construction.

At this time, it is my intention to make a brass/piano wire chassis... I had a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction from my first attempt with a little T-53 Cooper... I see no reason I should not apply the same learned skills to these two narrow bodied Toranas...

I propose an inline Slot-It motor/pinion/crown and will make up my own brass gearbox frame and front axle frame... I'm keen to have a go at this - those used with the two Coopers were purchased from within this forum.

I am unsure of wheels as yet, but the front will be plastic and the rear aluminium... the wheel inserts came with the kit - I am yet to ask what sized wheels/tyres are appropriate but will do so by PM.

Also, I am yet to source decals for the body... which I also need for Brock's L-34... the "Marlborough" signage was not included with the Scalextric model.. my suspicion is that the same will apply to the A9-X.

I purchased PB's book and read it through - not the read I was expecting..

Following that, my family asked if there was any "other" book I'd be interested in (I'm not a book reader, unless it's technical).. and I learned that Allan Moffatt's book was about to be released... so - put in my order..

I was shocked in reading that book - I have grown such a respect and liking for the man that I have now collected two of his cars - the '70 and '71 HO Falcons, and have just ordered the '69 phase 1 HO as well....

I read through a scratch build of his Trans-Am Mustang just now and have wanted one of these for some considerable time, since reading the book.... it is now #3 on my planned list of scratch builds.

For those who have not read Allan's book - I urge you to either borrow it from a library or purchase it... it leaves a very sour taste in the mouth from Ford US in the ways that they let him down.. not to mention Ford in Oz... if the man approached and had been accepted into the red lion camp - he'd have been up there as an equal trio with Brock and Bond ( the latter of which I have the greatest respect for as both a sportsman and human)... his allegiance to Ford was very poorly rewarded.

It is interesting to read that he used a "set up plate" much the same as we do in slot car tuning... not many people knew of this, but it was how he managed to "trick" the chassis up of all his vehicles - to his preferences.

The manner in which R.Jane treated him is absolutely disgusting - and sadly, the great "Stormin' Norman" treated him quite cruelly as well... read the book, it is well worth the time spent.

My "garage" will be very proud to house the cars of Brock and Moffatt.... along with Bill Patterson (T-53) Alan Jones (Williams), Mark Webber and Daniel Riccardio (both Red Bull)... which I already have.

So, in closing what is my usual "novel".... can someone kindly advise me if an LC/LJ Torana scratch build thread has been posted?.. I did a search, but the search engine would not allow words of less than three letters..

Happy to be back for another slot car modeling "session" of unknown duration.....

frats,

Rosco

Thanks fella's... don't hold your breath. Order for parts only went in yesterday to Armchair.

Bodies have been in wait for quite a while.... have to drag them down from storage and check trueness... will post some pix up when I get to that.

Chap who helped considerably with my Cooper build is now on line with these two builds... it is of great comfort to me that he has again offered to guide me and make suggestions/recommendations.

I intend these two models to be similar in detail to my previous two Cooper builds.. I will add detail as much as I can furnish.

They will never be used as "crash and burn" models.. but will be raced all the same.. in series races with other like period models.

I expect they will "blitz" the shocking performance of the Scalextric L-34... by golly, I put some work into that to get it to run some decent times - and there is still more to be done before it becomes what I would call "competitive"... it was a shocker out of the box (OOB)... but not as bad as a couple of others that I bought and realised they were really electric powered toys, not performance models.... FlySlot T-70 Lola being one, MRC Cheetah being another... the wheels of the Cheetah were fitted on axle splines - I believe the person who fitted them was wearing Coke bottle bases for eyeglasses - would have achieved a better result if they had turned off the light and done it by "feel"... mind you - they were put on the right side out.... fussy, aren't I?

Ok folk - hope to get some pix up later... we have to start somewhere.

frats,

Rosco

Ok, update.... wheels and tyres.

I have now ordered both Slot-it wheels and tyres for these two builds...

The wheels are PA-33 ALS - 14.3 x 8.... aluminium. I have decided to fit these to both the front and rear axle.

I am told that the inserts which came with the kit are a perfect fit for these wheels.... the inserts are indeed what I remember PB running on these Torana's...

I am yet to track down some "rub on" chrome adhesive foil.. I have used it on a "Cavalier" 1/25th EK Holden static model with great success... sadly, I can't find the left-over sheet.... appreciate any reconnection to the supplier.

The tyres I have chosen were also recommended - they are only rubber, and I suspect similar to that fitted to the Scalextric L-34 which I have had huge issues getting any performance out of... it's as slippery as a raw pea on a dinner plate... just won't hold its feet.

I may be able to get some urethanes to fit these wheels.. if they will fit the L-34.. I'll be up for three sets.

The Slot-It rubber tyres I have ordered are PT-19... end up as a rolling diameter of 15.5 mm by 8 mm width.. this smarts of those on the L-34.. from memory.

Ok - pix tomorrow of the two kits when I bring them out of storage...

They are both LJ - but I will make one up as an LC.. only the front and rear need serious work to make the change - from memory.

frats,

Rosco

Not yet, Shayne..... I'll give the slot-it rubber bands a go first.. these models will not be "performance" .. I drive like "grandma" on the track.. but, I would like them to be at least competitive with the Scalextric L-34.... that doesn't leave much to do.....

Thanks for your reply, will take a peek at the MJK range.

I have an option of getting some urethanes made up.... I'll jump at those if they become available... might even fit a set to the L-34... I believe they have almost identical wheel profiles....

frats,

Rosco

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk,

outside work now done for winter (except regular maintenance)... cold/wet weather on our doorstep..... time to make a start on these two Torana's.

I have received the following Slot-It parts for the builds....

2 x CH 10 pickup guides. (universal screw mount)

1 x Flat-6 RS 25k motor - 26,000 rpm/240 g/cm (MN11h-2)

1 x Flat-6 R 22k motor - 22,000 rpm/220 g/cm (MN14h)

4 x 48 mm rectified/tempered 2.38 mm (3/32") axles (PA01-48)

8 x 2.38 mm (3/32") bronze axle bushes (PA68)

8 x 14.3 mm x 8 x 1.5 Aluminium wheels (ex PA33-ALS, now W14308015AA)

8 x 'Z1' compound 15.5 x 8 mm rubber racing tyres (PT-19)

4 x MJK #4263 tyres (suits Scalextric Torana) - 8 more on back-order

In-line 5.5 mm pinion gears (2) - 8 tooth - (P108)

In-line 5.5 mm pinion gears (2) - 9 tooth - (P109)

Set (5) Grown wheels.... 24/26/27/28/30 toothed - (GIX1)

Body kits - thank you John (Munter).

About to sit down and starts sorting out what type of chassis to build... will take measurements of body internals and decide on brass/piano wire or conventional plastic "universal" type chassis..... I'm leaning towards brass and piano wire, but welcome any suggestions.

I might add here, I do have a lathe and mill, and probably more attachments than I will ever use - although I have not use either for small scale work as yet.. accuracy is to within more than my ability is capable of...

I am keen to make up my own brass motor mount/gearbox.... how wide, I am unsure.

It is my intention to "shim" both sides between the crown wheel and bronze bushes.

Front axle/guide plate yet to be decided.

I have also yet to decide whether to use piano wire to make the chassis... or to used brass.

For now, I intend to fit a square/rectangular styrene box section to the inside of each side of the body - both to retain rigidity and also to use as a "floating" body mount onto the chassis.....

So much to consider...

Any/all suggestions very much welcomed.

I will post up some pix of the body kit shortly (have to find close-up lenses for camera)..

frats,

Rosco

My first thoughts ...

Are zero grips a low profile tire?

Make the motor bracket wide. Often the bracket is as wide as the motor but as wide as practical is better.

Use the 8 tooth pinions.

Thanks, that’s all for now

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

You're right onto this, Munter..... just opened the first three packs...

1 - the Slot It rubber tyres are a perfect fit for their rims...... but - the only crown which can be used is the little one - 24 teeth, and even then, it's "iffy".... no option to true the tyres.... the tyres look terrific - but I simply don't believe they'll work in practice - their diameter profile is way too small.

Next issue - the rims and MJK tyres.... the width of the tyre step is much wider than that of the wheel...... plan "B" is to put the rear rims into the lathe and reduce the step width to suit the tyres.

Profile of the MJK 4263 tyres is much larger in diameter... which may make them out of scale for the model - ok, if I just wanted a lookalike which ran - but i'm keen to have both these models close to prototype... the wheel inserts in the kits you supply are just perfect...

I could turn down the width of the wheel steps - then sand down the diameter of the tyres... I have a tyre truer...... it will take some work, but it can be done.

I do like the look of the small Slot-it tyres though... and my current thoughts are to run them on the front of both models.... and to turn down the wheels and sand the tyres for the rears... changing the rims are not an option - I really want to use these rims...

Thanks for the suggestion to use 8 toothed pinions.... with those high rpm motors, I was hoping to also use the larger crowns.......

I'll do some measuring and come up with some scale diameter for the rear tyres...

As stated earlier in this thread - both these models will not be competitive... with other models..... but they will run well - and should easily out-perform that of the L-34 Scalextric model I have... it's a shocker - but I'm not modifying it..... it's staying as supplied... other than trying to get some Marlboro decals for it to complete the livery...

Ok - back later with some pix of wheels and tyres... still looking for my close-up lenses... trouble with having so much stuff in just one room.... I have to "un-stow" items ...... they tend to stack up generationally, depending on what hobby I've been at in recency....

And yes, it is my intention to keep the motor mount/gearbox wide.... it is logical to make use of available width.... "float" and "wear" will be less applicable the further out those bushes are.....

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Sounds good, Rosco .... but check those rims carefully as some are made with the interior of the rim following the outer dimensions and shape. If they do and you narrow the ridge then..... kafumblmankywobble and your rim is scrap.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Exactly, John.... I hadn't noticed until you made mention of it.

I have just checked all 8 wheels - they are identical.... and yes, the inner diameter of the internal wheel is recessed. The outer will receive your inserts perfectly, and I must take care not to push them in too far.

If I had chucked up the rims and turned the width of the step down - I have ended up with two discs... and no centre.... thanks heaps.

I am now contemplating turning up some rims of my own - where to start, and where to finish up.

I don't have issue with any of the cutting.. I have boring tools which will afford me to turn down the centres after drilling.

Thinking out loud....

I can turn down a rough blank to the size of the centre step from some stock ali rod, then turn down the the steps each side of that I want,

When that is done, I can drill the 2.38 mm axle hole and then fit it on the axle.

Drill and tap the M2 grub screw hole and fit the wheel to the axle..

Re-chuck it using the axle... and then bore out the centre....

I think this will work..... I can leave as much of the meat of the inner blank that I want to - and only bore out as much that is needed for your centres to sit flush within... that might be the plan.

Plan "C" is to try to increase the step width of the MJK tyre on each wall..... I'm not confident that I can do this.... unless I turn them inside out and fit them to a blank I can turn up.....

What to use to reduce the wall of the tyre to fit the rim.... probably in the tyre truer.....

Decisions, decisions.... chicken, or egg....?

I need my close up lenses..... I believe all this should be added to this thread with supportive pix....

Any idea's for a chassis, John?.... piano wire?.. formed and soldered brass plates?... not sure which way I'll go here yet.....

I'm pretty much convinced I'll fit box section styrene along each side of the body for it to sit on the chassis though..... it will add strength to the body and also allow the body to float easily on it.... much the same as Slot-It fit bodies to their chassis.... but with four screws to tether the body on loosely.... a floating fit will allow gravity to do the rest...

Where's those lenses?.... grrrr blasted room - it's Pandora's box at times... lift something up, and a zillion other things all spring out to greet you..... grrrrrr

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Eureka!.... found!

I have found my close up lenses... and still have an exit point available from the room.... win, win....

Ok - seriously, it's been an awful long time since I posted pix on this forum... I have just taken 12 of the model and relevant parts.

Can someone kindly refresh my memory on how to attach pix to this thread please..... they have been reduced to around 150 mb... ready to go.

Can we attach directly to a post, or must we employ a third party host?... I'm hoping it's not Photo Bucket... we are now divorced...

frats,

Rosco

Ok...let's try it with Postimage..

As John warned - please take note of the Slot-It wheels I purchased for these builds. The wheel size is appropriate - the tyres are the issue.

I have fitted the tiny rubber band tyres that Slot-It retail for these wheels - and they are way too small... they look terribly out of scale on the Torana body.

I loosely fitted the MJK tyres and they look much, much better.... however, the step width of the tyre is way too wide for the wheels....

I had considered turning down the width of the wheel step to match the tyres.. but as John warned - I will destroy them...

Take a close peek at these Slot It wheels - you can see that the internal diameter follows that of the step.. that is, the centre of the inside diameter is recessed... and if I had attempted to turn these down - I would have broken through the rim tread....

PIc... (test)

0001-slot-it-rim-recess-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco

Ok,

this pic will highlight the issue with scale.... on the right, we have the Slot It rubber tyres that fit exceptionally well to the wheels - but are way too thin...

At left, we have the MJK tyres - but they do not fit onto the Slot It wheel.... due to the step of the tyre being wider than that of the wheel... the scale size of this tyre befits the LC and LJ prototype... as I have seen in many pix that I have downloaded....

PIc..

0004-MJK-and-Slot-It-tyres-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

In these two pix, we can see that the Slot It rubber tyres leave nothing left for truing down... and in all probability, will not run with sufficient clearance from the track or contact rails....

This is the smallest of a set of 5 crown wheels... it has 24 teeth.

Pix...

0002-24-th-crown-15-5-x-8-slot-it-tyre-mail.jpg

0003-24-th-crown-15-5-x-8-slot-it-tyre-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco

Ok folk, here we go.... the castings of the LJ XU-1.. just a few pix tonight. All pix taken without any alteration from how they were received..

Front/rear of the two castings.... one will be left relatively untouched - the other will be reverted to that of an LC XU-1.

Pic..

0006-front-rear-LJ-mail.jpg

frats,

Rosco