Sign in to follow this  
Shaynus

Brock A9X Inspired Zb Commodore

G'day All

I did this resin ZB V8 supercar paint job for a fellow racer a little while back. I've been slack in posting my re-sprays on here. I've managed to steal a little time today, so here are some pics (if I remember how!)

Inspired by Brock's A9X Torana, with a bit of a sponsorship twist! ;-)

20200209-191120.jpg

20200209-191129.jpg

20200209-191158.jpg

20200210-185347.jpg

• Upvote 1

The main decals were my own, the small sponsor ones - been no, monster and mobile1 were off a sheet I got from eBay. For the grill and headlights I took a photo of the front of the car, then stretched/shrunk to suit. The rear lights were too hard to do that to, with the more pronounced curvature, so I just painted them.

The black windows are from gloss black decal sheet. I drew close approximations on CAD from photos, printed the outlines on the back of the sheet and cut them out.

Hi Shaynus. Is this body available commercially. Is it 1/32 or 1/24th.

Pity you did not install clear windows and interior. You may have seen my Scaly Supercheap Holden in the Touring Car Proxy. Not a great performer as fairly standard except for NSR Shark 20 motor but I cut out the windows, installed clear material plus built up interior complete with roll cage. Made the car 50% heavier but it handles pretty well.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

There is someone over here who is producing resin cast bodies (which this is). It's not mine, but can see if I can find out who what where why if you like?

The race class rules are for standard bodies, hence retaining the blacked out windows.

Nice work mate, seen this at racing looks great.

It's 1/32 scale Chas, fitted to a MJK chassis, with the NSR 4213 axle kit (wheels, gears, axles) and a Plafit Pointer motor as allowed by the V8 Supercar class rules at WASCRG.

Guide used to be the Ninco Pro-guides but you can't get them anymore so I believe some are now using the Slot.it wood guides.

All the Scalextric Supercars have black windows when made Chas (unfortunately), so we keep this standard throughout the class as well.

Resin on this car is EasyCast or Procast.

Thanks mattcracker.

Yes aware all Scaly Supercars are in the super resistant category. As in West Island this is a very popular class in NZ.

The Touring Car Proxy however required clear windows and a full interior - hence my modifications.

Not the neatest job but it looks the part and Murph has not complained from the drivers seat.

Thanks for your comment. Hope things are holding up OK in WA. See you have about 8 regional isolation zones so no trip to Margaret River for you at present. How is Mandurah?

We had only one death but virus has got into a couple of the rest homes so up to 4 now and more expected.

• Upvote 1

Here is photo of my fairly standard Scaly Supercheap Holden V8 as entered in Touring Car Proxy for last two years. Apart from NSR Shark motor, Slot-it guide and rear tyres comprises completely original materials except of course for interior. Not a world beater but it drives well. With virus and resultant delay with this years event thinking I might spice it up a bit. Perhaps a Slot-it motor pod and a beefier motor.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Holden-5.jpg

Great looking car there Chas. I would love it if there was enough demand for Scalextric to do a full detailed version, but I am grateful the do any V8Supercars at all, considering we are such a small demographic.

Did you do a write up of your build at all? How did you go about doing the windows?

Hi Shaynus.

Would have written something for AUSLOT/Touring Car Proxy but mainly covered by photo without body. Will see if I can find.

Is modelled after one I race regularly in our local racing scene. That one has windows intact, ali wheels on rear, Slot-it guide and original Scaly motor as per our local rules but otherwise only original parts. I bought as part of a Supercheap Auto 1000 set 6-7 years ago. Second hand and largely blocked up with carpet fluff when I bought but still going strong and the car to beat at home in our Aussie V8 series.

Windows in proxy car were just cut out with Dremel. Self cut clear windows glued in with 560 glue which dries clear, seats balsa, interior light card board; plastic driver, gear stick, steering wheel and roll cage. Pretty basic. Total weight of body and interior about 30gms which is a bit on heavy side. Interior, driver etc weighs about 10 gms. Could probably have got away with light weight interior but that would be too easy.

I would quite like to get one of the Slotworkx 1/32 bodies and interior but have not got around to it.

Here should be a photo of chassis with interior fitted. This shows it fitted with Slot-it N22 tyre s one of which I managed to damage but for the two proxies it was fitted with PG tyres. They still had plenty of wear left so should probably have left them on. Am now thinking of trying MJK unless I can source some Yellow Dog. You cannot see whole interior as dash, roll cage etc is attached to body. Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

TC-Proxy-Holden-chassis.jpg

Edited by charlesx

Thanks for the info Chas.

Love your effort with the interior, like you said, full interior adds a bit more interest

Hi Shaynus.

A bit rough/unrealistic but did the job. Looked good from outside.

Great spray job on Madbro... did you do the decals yourself?

frats,

Rosco

Thanks Shaynus..... I can do that... if I had time.... got any spare time you can send down this way?... I'm running a bit short of late....

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Ha! Ha! Me too! Sorry Rosco's my reserves of spare time is running low too. My growing pile of unfinished / not started projects is testimony to that

;-)

Edited by Shaynus

I've got a wardrobe full of kits to build... not to mention slot car bodies that need chassis.... life's too short, Shaynus..... I'm running out of years.....

frats,

Rosco

You are still young at heart Rosco. That will keep you going. I have been retired since end of 2007 but still hoping for many more. Who knows what the future brings.. Probably just as well. Regards Chas Le Breton

Three years ahead of me Chas.... 10 years coming up, nowhere near half of what I expected to have done in that time.... where did it go?..seems like only last year at times..... clock runs too fast, years pass out of check....

frats,

Rosco