My Fairlane Sportsman Build....;.

ZackM

I am working on a Monogram Ford Fairlane body. The intent is to send it in to the HRW Showdown series oval race. Since I couldn't justify spending the money and time for a car I won't get to oval race myself, I decided to compromise.

I put together a "rattle" or "slider" chassis for it using the following components.

-Professor Motor forged motor bracket, with material removed from up high.

-Professor motor Oillie 3/16x3/32 bushings

-.063" Brass front pan

-1/8" OD front axle tube to accept a 3/32 axle

-.055" Piano wire main rails

-.055" Piano wire front axle reinforcement

-3/32 sqaure tube axle connection on top of guide tongue.

-Side pans are .031" brass, I wanted to keep them light so I could ballast them differently for road course and oval.

-3/32 square tube slider tubes

-.062" Piano wire Slide wires, with another small piece of .062" wire between the wire and pan connection.

Weight is 40g. Probably far too heavy to put up a good fight on the oval. But should get around the road course well. The total movement of the center section of the chassis is around .080", the idea being that on the oval the weight will be offset toward the inside of the turn. These types of chassis are surprisingly good in 1/24, all I did was scale it down!

Next up I will be hacking up the body to fit the big tires and smoothing some things out for a paint job!

49751161377_04d9a47e07_k.jpg

49750832411_eb749c7234_k.jpg

49751160837_12d27bc03f_k.jpg

49750292693_1b8515a69a_k.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Zack

• Upvote 1

Very nice work again Zack. - Do you by chance recall the product code of that motor bracket ?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Very nice work again Zack. - Do you by chance recall the product code of that motor bracket ?

This is the part # for the motor bracket.....PMTR5012

I made some progress last night on the car. I painted the wheels, trued and glued the tires, and started getting the body mounts made up. I am not sure I am happy with the mounts themselves, but I like the stance of the car.

I also shaved the door handles, and began work on the front end. Including a simple little Styrene spoiler.

49753147188_750618c353_k.jpg

49753147308_41dc418e1c_k.jpg

Zack

• Upvote 1

Hi Mark, The motor bracket that Zack used (Professor Mtr.) is a copy of the brackets he used to sell that were from BWA. (BWA closed up, Andy had his own made). While they are a well made/ good looking bracket, they are rather heavy, and for the type of racing most folks here do, there are better choices.

Both JK and RGEO make a range of brackets in various widths/offsets, that all have hole patterns drilled for 3/16 x 3/32 bushings, and hole patterns drilled for our 130/180 etc. type motors.

Both of these manufacturers produce a range of high end commercial grade slot products and are very well respected. (I am sure you are familiar with both)

While much lighter than the Prof. Mtr. bracket, both are designed for commercial racing, and are more than strong enough (way more) for any home/club racing.

Cheers

Chris Walker

PS If you have any issues finding them , please let me know.

Edited by Chrisguyw
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Mark, The motor bracket that Zack used (Professor Mtr.) is a copy of the brackets he used to sell that were from BWA. (BWA closed up, Andy had his own made). While they are a well made/ good looking bracket, they are rather heavy, and for the type of racing most folks here do, there are better choices.

Both JK and RGEO make a range of brackets in various widths/offsets, that all have hole patterns drilled for 3/16 x 3/32 bushings, and hole patterns drilled for our 130/180 etc. type motors.

Both of these manufacturers produce a range of high end commercial grade slot products and are very well respected. (I am sure you are familiar with both)

While much lighter than the Prof. Mtr. bracket, both are designed for commercial racing, and are more than strong enough (way more) for any home/club racing.

Cheers

Chris Walker

PS If you have any issues finding them , please let me know.

Chris is correct, and I stated it in my other thread as well. This bracket is pretty overbuilt for a 1/32 or even a lighter 1/24 car. I sand a good amount off the top to shave some weight. I have burned through most of my stash of these at this point, so I will be going back to the JK brackets.

Zack

Great work, Zack....

I have taken quite a bit of notice on how you built the chassis - I have two Torana chassis' to build and am undecided exactly how I am going to lay them out.

I have a lathe and a mill now since my last scratch build.. I am really keen to make up my own parts... will be part of the mission.

Great build... bet it goes like stink?

frats,

Rosco

• 4 months later...