slotmadmac

Lockdown Projects.

Looks fantastic, Jimmy..... first thing I spotted was your lathe.... bit sensitive to the looks of those of late....

Guy in the #3 helmet needs to relax... go tell him he's just parked....

Which direction do you run the track?... looks interesting either way...

frats,

Rosco

A couple more builds for a collector mate...

This first one was a real pleasure. I have always wanted a Spirit Golf with the Kamai livery and front air dam in my collection so working on this one was the next best thing.

K9nUzTNl.jpg

All straight forward blueprinting / glue / true work here. I used Thunderslot rear tyres and replaced that angry stock 24k long can with a milder 18K option. This honey ended up as a sweet car that looks supercool on the track.

pGzSK9zl.jpg

Next up was a Scalextric Camaro built to compete in a 18K Muscle Car class. Stock motor. Slot It rear end and Slot It air system alloys. Slotting Plus Victor II bushes. Ultragrips that were treated with CRC-226 for 3 hours. Slot It wood guide.  A visit today to see The Great Munter added inserts, a lightweight screen and a superb lightweight interior to this build. I cut down the original driver and ended up here: 

sVSAQTMl.jpg

O3R4O92l.jpg 

Podiums are for short people.

3 hours ago, Shaynus said:

That Camaro looks great. Is that the standard front chin spoiler on it?

Yep. Body and air dam are stock.

Well, after being beaten by an earlier lockdown attempt to produce a dual motor old school Scalextric Metro running on the standard chassis I was inspired by an alternative attempt I saw on Facebook to do the same thing using a donor chassis. Don't ask me why I am doing this. I've got no idea . 

Anyway, enter 2 Scalex Porsche GT3 Chassis's and a starting point here:

3qkrQ0jl.jpg

I measured out the required wheelbase and then sectioned the sidewinder mount end of the two donors chassis's. A quick wheelbase check and then I superglued in some piano wire to give some longitudinal strength.

DekI2gFl.jpg

Loads of epoxy next and I cut in a guide mount from one of the donor chassis's. A quick spray of primer and we got here:

C7OoSc8l.jpg

and the prettier side here:

nPNcYP9l.jpg

I decided, perhaps wrongly as it turns out, to use the wheels from the GT3's and run some Sideways tyres. That meant I needed to steal every possible millimetre from the underpan set up to squeeze the sidewinder gears and wheels/tyres under the body - so I glued the stock bushes in place and the ground off the outer collars - picking up an extra 3mm in the process. 

GSWIoWZl.jpg

At this point I knew I'd screwed up. I'd forgotten to true the tyres before glueing the bushes in. I should have stopped then, added new bushes and trued the tyres - but I pushed on thinking I could true the tyres with sandpaper later on. Rookie mistake. 

Pushing forward and I got here: 

vMyq6EPl.jpg

Everything worked as planned but a track test delivered a lumpy drive and a lot of swearing about forgetting to true the tyres before glueing the bushes in. An annoying, and ultimately unsatisfying hour sanding tyres with sandpaper followed. Anyone who has tried sanding 4 tyres on a 4x4 car will know what a circus that operation is. More swearing. Maybe a foot stomp. A track test was heaps better but still not up to standard. 

Eventually I ended up here.  

c5YUfiIl.jpg

This is just a test fit with the body sitting on the chassis but it's a tight fit and some remedial work on the front guards is needed. If I had my time over I would have chosen shorter, thinner wheels. I guess you live and learn, right? Sometimes I think I just live. 

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Like 1

Sounds like you need a big lump of lead Mac. Can remember doing the same to a Mini once when I was a kid but it had brass  wheels all round. Mind you we had never heard of truing tyres. I found a double shafted motor with gears/axles at each end (like SCX ) worked better. Looks like a fun build but an awful waste of 2 great cars. C Le B

22 hours ago, charlesx said:

Looks like a fun build but an awful waste of 2 great cars.

They're just a couple of junker high resistance scalex cars Chaz. No need to panic. 

After the frustrations of yesterdays efforts I decided to start over on the tyre trueing and stripped the axles and ground down bushes from the chassis. A quick true all round, some fresh bushes, some dremmel work and reassembly and I had a sweet driving and surprisingly quick chassis on the track. I didn't expect this two motor malarky to be faster than a one motor set up - but it sure feels like it. I don't like checking lap times before I get finished cars on the track so I guess time will tell. 

No panic Mac. Imagine you have lots of spare parts hanging around. Glad it is running better. Reminds me a bit of the good old days. Regards Chas Le Breton(charlesx)

Awesome work Mac-  We better make sure "single engine" is included in all our racing rules B)

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Brabham BT54 progress

Finally started the final painting and decaling of balsa body. After some careful masking here is the basic colour of body. A little bit of touching up to do but pretty good by my standards. Should have checked before but have also confirmed Tassie Phil's decals will fit so that will be the next stage. Photo attached.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Brabham-BT54-progress-3.jpg

That's cool Chaz. I hope you have the wood on the opposition when you race it. :ph34r:

Meanwhile, back in MetroWorld, I ended up here:

dvGroOtl.jpg

A Munter lexan screen left over from Metrorama (what a crack up that was...) and a scratched up lightweight interior has kept the COG low but, let's face it, with 2 motors there is plenty of low down weight to keep this car planted. 

NysYbVul.jpg 

Track testing this weekend will see if it's as fast as my Metrorama entries. Initially sanding the tyres off the truer will have degraded tyre potential for sure. No biggie. This was aways just a fun way to kill some time in the slot cave and, if nothing else, my desire to build a 2 motor small car is now sorted. 

Good one Mac. Not too sure about that but it has been an interesting journey. Will show whole car again soon hopefully complete with full decals. Having the first people around to try my new wood track tonight. Racing will hopefully resume at Level 1.

Your Metro looks great. Sure it will leave my WRP Rally Metro for dead. It is nearly standard except for weight. Tends to be a bit tippy compared to other rally cars in class as very high.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

A bit more progress with my Brabham BT54 this time with body mounted on chassis. This shows it off so much better I am sure you will agree.

Only a few decals at this stage but already starting to look the part. Trouble is as soon as I complete each stage I think of other things to further enhance.

Photos will be added soon.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Brabham-22-1.jpg

Brabham-22-5-2.jpg

Brabham-22-5-3.jpg

Edited by charlesx

I am sure no one else is really interested in this other than me but I ran TwinMotorMetro against the winning car from the legendary Metrorama series. That winning car was lower and much lighter. It ran a NSR Spanish King long can, Slot It rear end and alloys all round.

XzwsYNyl.jpg

On the track TwinMotorMetro was out of its league. It felt more planted and had good acceleration but lapped 0.6s slower on my 95' track. I thought it would be closer but Trackmate doesn't lie. 

Time for a new project or to focus on FuglyCool.  

4 minutes ago, slotmadmac said:

I am sure no one else is really interested in this other than me but I ran TwinMotorMetro against the winning car from the legendary Metrorama series. That winning car was lower and much lighter. It ran a NSR Spanish King long can, Slot It rear end and alloys all round.

XzwsYNyl.jpg

On the track TwinMotorMetro was out of its league. It felt more planted and had good acceleration but lapped 0.6s slower on my 95' track. I thought it would be closer but Trackmate doesn't lie. 

Time for a new project or to focus on FuglyCool.  

No, definitely interested!

Do you run same gearing front and back? You may have mentioned earlier but I have forgotten.  If the gearing is the same it may pay to sand the rears a l little bit more than the front so the fronts pull the car along and the rear isn't trying to over take it?

Would be interested to compare laptimes with both motors in (same weight) but with only one motor connected to see how 4wd compares to FWD to RWD

The gearing is standard Scalextric sidewinder front and back. It does go good but the other car is quite something on the track. I don’t think I’ll change the drive format now. Happy enough. 

3 hours ago, slotmadmac said:

The gearing is standard Scalextric sidewinder front and back. It does go good but the other car is quite something on the track. I don’t think I’ll change the drive format now. Happy enough. 

Ride height and weight probably make all the difference. I’ve thought about trying a twin motor car but I have a lot of stuff I want to build so it will have to wait. 

This started off as a Scalextric Union Jack convertible. The idea was to turn it into a stripped down track racer and I am half way there. Car has been converted to rear wheel drive with a SRP-16k. It's been lowered front and rear. I've shot it with some primer to see the look with the scratch-built tonneau cover. I have heard that tissue paper soaked in superglue makes a realistic tonneau material - so may try that. Regardless, there's plenty of detailing and a repaint to come.

Brwytyyl.jpg

Uv6b7o0l.jpg

Liking where this is going Mac and keeping an eye on it as I have one of the 60th anniversary models that needs 'improving' too ….

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

The jag ended up here. I was after the 'weekend racer' look so went with no decals. Nice wee runner. The rear wheel drive conversion helps no end. 

Nq7zodrl.jpg

sPmdiabl.jpg

VTNyBi3l.jpg

Lockdown's now pretty much unlocked over here, so I guess this is the last of these COVID builds. Thanks for looking; you crazy kids. 

• Like 2

Track all running well with some grip making life a bit easier but I still like 10 volts & is tight enough to get your attention,12 volt might be too scarey.:blink:

Computer hook up soon & then she's done:D

DSCN3185.jpg

DSCN3111.jpg

DSCN3115.jpg

DSCN3121.jpgjpeg upload

DSCN3190.jpg\

Cheers Jimmy:D

• Upvote 1

To finsh first,first you gotta finish